Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Soul seat post length
  • thebunk

Will a 350mm seat post be long enough on a small soul?

Am about 5'6", 30" inside leg.

Any recommendations?

ta,

thebunk

Country_Gent
    Free Member

You might get away with that but will be on the edge of acceptable.

I run a 400mm on my Large frame and I have a 32" inside leg. Hasn't got too much spare post inside the frame.

Quick point on this is Cy recommends you have min of 100mm inside the frame regardless of the min insertion depth on your post (check out the warranty section of the Cotic site)

Hoep this helps

cynic-al
    Free Member

st length is 16" = 406mm

available seatpost = 250mm

saddle adds say 30mm, total 686mm.

30" x 1.09 = 831mm, so 12cm short, get a medium?

poisonspider
    Free Member

I've got a 410mm on my medium and I wouldn't want to go any shorter.

thebunk

OK thanks a lot, I won't take the chance. What seat posts are people using?

p.s. cynic-al, not sure what you're telling me? Explain again, with stick men diagrams if necessary…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I added up the various lengths between the bottom bracket and saddle, and compared with 1.09 x inside leg (one way of getting your saddle height from bb).

poisonspider
    Free Member

Thomson for me. Is there any other worth having?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, many (if you are capable of individual thought).

takisawa2

Thompson.
    This was a 410mm & still had plenty before the min mark.
    (5'9 – Size Small).

Soul-1 (2) by pten2106, on Flickr

thebunk

Oh, OK – so by your calculations I've got to find 12 cm? Don't you need to add in the length from the bb to the end of the crank?

Also, poisonspider, I heard that Thomson seat posts get worn if you adjust the height a lot – something to do with the beaded sort of coating?

*awaits Thomson related flaming*

takisawa2

thebunk…My thomposons are in-out-up-down all the time. No issues to report, & both mine are S/H jobbies off here. The one in the pic is years old. I've tried a good few over the years but I consider them a default fitment, like their stems.

wwaswas

Don't you need to add in the length from the bb to the end of the crank?

good point, well made so +175mm to cynic-als calculation.

you need to lose 5cm – maybe a small 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

st length is 16" = 406mm

available seatpost = 250mm

saddle adds say 30mm, total 686mm.

30" x 1.09 = 831mm, so 12cm short, get a medium?

Crank length?

I'd say you'd be fine with a 410mm

poisonspider
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Yes, many (if you are capable of individual thought).

Are there? I'll check with my mates to see what I should do. 😉

Also, poisonspider, I heard that Thomson seat posts get worn if you adjust the height a lot – something to do with the beaded sort of coating?

To be fair they do get scratched quiet easily if you are constantly taking them in/out etc. but I wouldn't say they get 'worn' as such, it's just cosmetic.

thebunk

Cor, as well as getting 2×10 which Cotic Cy sounds unconvinced by, I thought I'd gone and ordered the wrong size!

epicsteve
    Free Member

As the others have said a 410mm Thompson sounds like what you need, and a small is almost certainly the right size for you.

I'm running 2×9 on my BFe (and have also done on my Soul in the past) and it works well however can back up when Cy said about the noise of the chain slapping about sometimes when using 36 on the front and the small rings at the back. One of my local descents is quite fast and rooty and it's way noiser on the bikes I have with 2×9 than the ones with triples.

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I use a ControlTech team post. Looks, feels and performs just like a Thompson but a few £ cheaper

kelvin

Loooong post always wise.

DenDennis
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I added up the various lengths between the bottom bracket and saddle, and compared with 1.09 x inside leg (one way of getting your saddle height from bb).

831mm!! thats a lot for a 30" leg…..
    are you sure you've not multiplied instead of divided?? 😛

epicsteve
    Free Member

Actually now that I think on it – I'm 5'9" and have a small BFe and while I think a 350mm post would probably be a tad short for me on that I'd have thought it'd be ok for a slightly shorter person, as there isn't a silly amount of seatpost showing on my bike:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oops forgot about the 175mm…

poisonspider
    Free Member

I may not be capable of individual thought but at least I can add up (with a calculator of course)!! 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

6'2" on a 17.5 inch BFe with a 410mm thomson. I can just get the seat high enough for xc if i leave the post 1cm below the downtube. So you'll be fine with a 410mm on a 16inch

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can add up too, I just forget parts of the formula 🙄

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Soul seat post length’ is closed to new replies.