Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sorry Whisky again – Any rider favourites – Not the normal supermarket shelf ??
  • doodlebug
    Free Member

Looking into buying a nice bottle for my father, must be super smooth !! and have a budget of up to around £50.

Any recommendations please ….

bigG
    Free Member

If you fancy something from the isles then my tipple is always Caol Ila, lovely peaty salty yumminess. In fact I'm off to get one now.

You should be able to get a cracking bottle for £50!

stumpyjon

Edradour, in fact I think I may just go and pour myself a glass.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Cheers bigG / stumpyjon

I'm going to visit tomorrow : http://www.gauntley-wine.co.uk/spirits/type/46/single-malt-whisky

I'm sure those two bottles will be there…. 😛

feenster
    Free Member
    feenster
    Free Member

…and if it's Islay you want, the laphroaig 15 is stunning, peaty, but smooth as butter, and not being made any longer. An investment piece?

bigG
    Free Member

For the record I enjoyed the first do much I'm now having a second. On a school night ! Rock n roll,,,

peteimpreza

My top tipple is

The Dalmore

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I'm drinking Lagavulin 1991 Distillers Edition at the moment and its lush.

Just within your budget too:

http://www.thewhiskybarrel.com/cat-4-subcat-29-product-228

sofaking
    Free Member

Cardhu is super smooth and about £35 i think.

just pouring an aberlour abunadh ( blimey thats strong)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Highland Park, dont know if its on your supermarket shelf.

steviegil
    Free Member

Cant beat the Jura's in my opinion 🙂

gnasher
    Free Member

About to pour a glass of HP but for something different –> Auchentoshan[ a lowland triple distilled ] lighter and subtle & just a bit different

matthewjb
    Free Member

Aberlour A'bunadh

Tons of flavour. Cask strength

Oddbins have it. About £35.

gonefishin
    Free Member

16YO Lagavulin. You will not find a better whisky for the money.

GSter
    Free Member

Port Ellen 2 £130 a bottle….he will love you for ever and if he doesn't drink it it will go up in value!

Ardbeg: A bit Different

Glen Ord: Great of you can still get it since the distillery shut

Talisker, McCallan, Dalhwinie, all good..
    take £30-50 and buy something from a proper 'off license' / liquor shop and ask for some comment/advice.

New Islay bottle out called 'Smokehead'….trendy malt….the mutts nutts!

Ask you old cheese what he has tasted in the past…he may be able to help you

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Secret Stills Islay. The current one is, I am told, an 18 year old Bowmore for silly little money 😉

My bottle is certainly going down a storm at the moment!

If peat isn't your bag then I would go a Scapa.

I tend to go non-chill filtered as I find em a bit smoother and richer, don't know if that's just me though! I am a big fan of strange bottlings, the Signatory Non-Chill-Filtered range is a good place to look (come in a nice tin… erm… tin too)

GSter
    Free Member

All great recommendations on this thread….may need a large wallet to buy them all, Islay are peaty / iodine and very interesting….so the taste experience will be different form the 'usual' whisky he may have tasted, but life is an experience isn't it!!!

Can not fault any of the suggestions above.

Don't forget to add a bit of water to bring all the tastes and aromours out of the liquid! It is the Scottish way apparently!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Ooooh – Port Ellen, that is a favourite of mine!

https://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/Port_Ellen.html

Bit expensive for me now since I open em and drink em 😉

(Just ignore the half empty bottle of Brora in my kitchen eh…)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Secret Stills Islay. The current one is, I am told, an 18 year old Bowmore for silly little money

what is the "number"?

nickhart
    Free Member

oban, 12 or 18 year. lovely and smoooooooth.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Port Ellen – I've had a couple of drams of different bottlings – it was lovely – cost a bomb.

Forget the std 12yo rubbish, some whisky have a "correct" age for drinking. For Glenfiddich, it's 18yo and one of the most reasonably priced for the age.

rkk01
    Free Member

I like the smoky, peaty Islay malts in general…

Other west coast malts that I like include Oban, Talisker and Jura (although sometimes I find Jura great, othertimes, not)

For something mellow try Balvenie.

My absolute favourite though has to be Bunnahabhain.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

For me just now it's Quinta Ruban (around £25 from tesco) which is a Glenmorangie finished in port wood casks, giving it a really soft chocolate finish. Slightly diferent, but still a class whisky
    Clicky

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Glen Ord: Great of you can still get it since the distillery shut

no, I don't think it did. I visited it last summer. they supply blenders, but Glen Ord itself is mainly available to the overseas market (big in taiwan apparently)
    Overpriced for a 12 YO IMHO and I wasn't that impressed at the time

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sorry Whisky again – Any rider favourites – Not the normal supermarket shelf ??’ is closed to new replies.