Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Sorry sorry sorry, what phone?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

1st it’s specs, now It’s phones!
    I’m after a new phone & looking at options, criteria being….
    SIM only deal (got that sussed)
    Decentish camera.
    Not MASSIVE.
    £150/£200
    Probably Android cos that’s what I’m used to.

Hawei, Nokia, Motorola?
    I didn’t like my wife’s Samsung cos everytime you went near the screen something went nuts, but that may have just been her phone!
    TIA.

pipm1
    Free Member

I got a Nokia 6.1 for £125 recently (on Amazon), it seems decent enough for me, it’s my first Android phone too. I’d consider that or the Nokia 7.1 which is £164 on Amazon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moto G7

jimmy

Just bought a Pixel 2 from CEX. Was 220 but had a voucher from selling something to them, so 150.

Kryton57

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Midnight-Renewed-Black/dp/B06ZY5RJVB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=38ZZFYZSBADT9&keywords=samsung+s8+phone&qid=1566339853&s=electronics&sprefix=Samsung+s8+ph%2Celectronics%2C317&sr=1-2

This.  Yes the Samsung’s can be loaded with automation and the useless Bixby but turn it all off and you have a powerful waterproof phone with grey photos for the same price as a moto G7

alanl
    Free Member

Moto G7 Power. £160 at Argos and other places.
    There is also the Play version for £130, with half the memory etc.

matt_outandabout

Moto G7

This. We have them (and G6’s) at work. Great phones, smooth, good enough camera, no real issues at all, under £200. No issues needing assistance/warranty, unlike the bosses iPhones…

For a slightly better experience (slightly faster, slightly better camera, slightly nicer all round) is my Sony XZ1, but it’s £50 more for the pleasure.

100inch
    Free Member

Just been looking at this for the wife.

Sony Xperia L3 was the chosen one.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a Moto G7 Play and I wouldn’t have another. Too many niggly little glitches.

ampthill

I regret buying a G6 play. Seems to hang for about 5 seconds often enough to be annoying

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

DOH! Nearly went for the G7 till Harry said that!

birky
    Free Member

DOH! Nearly went for the G7 till Harry said that!

G7, G7 Power, G7 Play are all different spec

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9357&idPhone2=9527&idPhone3=9532#diff-*,*,*

smokey_jo

I would normally recommend a nokia 7.1 but after 10 minutes in my jacket on my motorbike in a bit of a shower it crapped out and needed 24 hours in a bag full of silica gel sachets to get to boot up again.

After this the wi-fi reception range has reduced considerably.

It also wasn’t very good at using NFC if anything using the compass / GPS was active.

I’ve just ordered an refurb xperia A2 off Argos as it’s replacement – only £90!

fossy

Take a look on Music magpie for nearly new bargains !!

Had two phones from them now, and both have been immaculate.

BillOddie

Probably not a Nokia if my experience with a Nokia 8 (not Scirocco) is anything to go by.

For reasons best known to itself it has taken to rebooting itself at random intervals.  It’s yet to do it when I’m using as a Sat Nav but you just know it will when I’m approaching a complicated junction somewhere foreign.

Caher

For some reason the moto g odd numbers gave been flakey. My G4 and G6 were good but the G3 and 5 were flakey.
    I have a G6 plus and it’s great since the Pie upgrade and the factory reset (seems you need to that).

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ve got a G7 Power and am finding some weird issues where certain apps don’t seem to work over WiFi but do when on 4G, for example Fitbit, Amazon and the BBC Sport app.

It might be a problem with my WiFi but other devices seem to work okay.

IHN

Not MASSIVE.

Is always my main criteria, cos everything else (decent-ish camera etc) is pretty much a given on any phone.

I always end up with a Sony Xperia [whatever the current model is, or previous model if it’s cheap] Compact. They’re the only reasonable sized Android phones IMO.

phil5556

Probably not a Nokia if my experience with a Nokia 8 (not Scirocco) is anything to go by.

I took my Nokia 8 back for refund after 6 months for similar reasons.

Random reboots, compass 180* out, ok Google stopped working and various other glitches.

Infact after 10 years of Android it was enough to move me over to an iPhone 6S. Which has been excellent (bar the battery life).

CraigW
    Free Member

Some of the early Nokias had issues, the newer versions seem to be a lot better.
    I had my Nokia 6 replaced with a 6.1. All seems reliable, and getting fairly regular updates.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Do not buy Galaxy A series phones,the screens are absolute rubbish and crack at the slightest knock.

Kryton57

Infact after 10 years of Android it was enough to move me over to an iPhone 6S. Which has been excellent (bar the battery life).

My work replaced mine with an iPhone 8 – same form factor but that issue seems to be improved.

Del

pocophone f1
    shit name, basically same spec as pixel three bar the screen, uses the same camera sensor, also has sd slot and headphone jack. ignore the reviews slating the skin – updates fixed all of it. had mine 6 months, been very pleased with it. it’s robust too.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Have a look at my Google Pixel 3a XL on the classifieds. It’s as good as new and a brilliant phone with pretty much the best camera you can get. Only selling as I got a phone through work.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Slight hijack but do all andriod phones get infected with annoying pop ups the minute you get either 4g or wifi connection. Mine’s so beset with them that getting rid of them often stops me answering calls before the caller hangs up. Is there a fix for this short of throwing it in the sea?

phil5556

@pistonbroke I had an issue for a while with mine, have you got VLC Media player installed?

I think mine was due to that or another media player.

nbt

@pistonbroke I’ve never had that issue ever

ton

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5b/dd/ce/5bddce43277d49b02872187f197f52ce--cell-phones-for-seniors-cell-phone-accessories.jpg

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just incase interested ive got an iPhone 7 in brilliant condition going for £160 on classifieds if of any interest

matt_outandabout

I’ve never had that issue – across 12 work Android and 6 oab Android phones for the last 6 years….

You must be downloading dodgy app or visitor to iffy sites.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

@matt etc. Afaik, no dodgy apps loaded, I’ve got wikiloc, komoot,ign maps, garmin connect,google earth, whatsapp, google translate, imgur, and iplayer. I don’t visit dodgy sites and rarely watch youtube. Not sure which media player is loaded basically it’s what came with the phone which is an AGM A8. Perhaps I need a better brand.

matt_outandabout

I’d try a more mainstem brand.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Tony! (I’d still be out of my depth with that)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Sorry sorry sorry, what phone?’ is closed to new replies.