• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sorry – Proud Dad & Stabilizers moment….
  • ski
    Free Member

The stabilizers came off at the weekend at last!

She went for her first ride, 2 miles of quiet country lanes, she even waved at some passing roadies & nearly fell doing so 😉

5 1/2, never really pushed her, waited for her to ask for the stabilizers to come off. She was the last one in her class to learn.

That’s my girl 😉

Pook

started late hasn’t she?

😉

good work mate

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent. Great when they get it isn’t it, suddenly they can just ride!

Nice bike too 🙂

binners

Fantastic! My 4 year old has just asked if we can take her stabilisers off this weekend.

Any pointers?

ski
    Free Member

Not really Binners, don’t think I was that good a teacher tbh.

Find a flattish path, wide enough for them to have a wobble without finding the edge.

I found she was much happier having the saddle down quite low, so she could put both feet down if she wanted, but not sure if that’s the same for everyone.

Keep away from waving roadies 😉

Good luck Binners

mamadirt
    Free Member

Excellent!!

DezB
    Free Member

Any pointers?

Expect tears if it goes wrong. Don’t push it – when they’re ready, they’re ready !

binners

I’ve done the same as you. No pressure. I’ve waited for her to ask.

Like her dad though, she’s quite accident prone. I think she may be a bit dubious being taught by a man who regularly rides into trees 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

My eldest is 4 and I’m trying to find a way to make the step over to stabilizer free cycling. I tried when the weather was warmer but he seemed to completely not grasp the concept 🙂

He has a step (called a scooter in my day) which he seems pretty ok on.

Sounds like I’ll just have to wait till he tells me….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My eldest is 5 and still on stabilisers – I’ve not pushed her because she wasn’t ready, although I think she will be soon.

By contrast, my lad is 2.5 and is already trying to lean round corners. I’d be surprised if he’s not riding without stabilisers by 3/3.5.

watly_biker
    Free Member

Its so cool when they get going & nice bike too – which model is it ?
    With hindsight my advice would be get a running/balance bike and go straight to no stabilisers – you do need a bit of space though.
    My daughter did a couple of months on stabilisers after a running bike to get the hang of pedalling but was off them quickly – aged about 4.
    My son has a wooden balance bike and asked for a go on his sister’s bike aged 2 and a half – he was just off pedalling and could ride it ( I just gave him a push and hoped). For safety’s sake we just let him ride around the park and in big spaces and stick to the balance bike around the village/school run or anywhere he needs to be able to stop quickly or is near a road!

ski
    Free Member

watly its a early Islabike Conc-16, ours has a rear hub brake, the latest uses tiny V’s.

Its a great bit of kit, proper sized pedals, cranks, brake levers, handle bar grips, that have all been designed with little people in mind. Its also light, well light for a kids bike anyway 😉

Cannot recommend them enough, great company to deal with, might be a little bit more expensive than the pink offerings from your local car accessory outlet, but Islabikes are in a totally different league, if you ask me.

Islabikes

nickc

Those metal scooters really help kids to “get” the whole balance concept. Taking the pedals off, lowering the saddle and letting them scoot about for a weekend or two got my two up and running in no time

Olly
    Free Member

😀

high five to you both

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sorry – Proud Dad & Stabilizers moment….’ is closed to new replies.