• This topic has 55 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • (Sorry) DHF vs Assegai vs Magic Mary vs Wild Enduro
  • joebristol

Apologies for another tyre thread – I’m unable to go riding much at the moment as life is getting in the way so thinking about changing bits on one of my bikes.

I currently have a DHF 2.5wt 3c Maxx Terra on the front of my Bird Aeris. It’s in a non-boost Lyrik and on a 30mm internal rim. Clearance is fine but I wouldn’t want to go bigger by much on any tyre.

The current dhf has been on there for coming up 2 years and I’m toying with changing it for something else. I ride a good chunk of trail centres on that bike with a bit of technical ish steeper / muddier / roomier stuff occasionally. Mostly that would be the FOD DH tracks I’d say.

Is there a better tyre for compromise than the DHF? I find the DHF is generally better than the Mary (I have one on the front of my hardtail) on hardpack but the Mary is much better and steering on muddy / slippery rooty stuff. The Mary I have is a 2.35 snakeskin addix soft.

Wondering what either an Assegai (3c max terra / Exo – is that casing available or only exo+?) would be a better option or a Wild Enduro?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve ridden all of those tyres, but not in all formats.

The Wild Enduro is my least favourite – it was prone to letting go suddenly and was never very confidence inspiring in the wet. This was the Magi-X on the front.

The Magic Mary in SG ultrasoft is a great tyre – much better than the Michelin in the wet and better damping. The latter is more a consequences of the casing, so I’m not exactly comparing like with like.

The Assegai is better than both of them – it’s very predictable in the dry; much more so than the DHR even. In the wet it totally rocks – just got back from Wind Hill, which was muddy as hell, yet over the rooty stuff on some of the blacks it was totally sure-footed.

The caveat here is that I’m using the DH casing Maxxgrip, which is quite heavy (1320g on my scales). The Exo/Maxterra models are lighter but you give up quite a bit of damping/grip. I don’t really care about uphill speed so am willing to make that compromise.

JP

chiefgrooveguru

This is worth reading: https://nsmb.com/articles/maxxis-assegai-dd-exo-tire-review/

Bar the drag the Assegai seems a great front tyre but maybe only in the stiffer stickier versions?

Northwind

I reckon the DHR2 is basically like a DHF but better- and they’ve finally done some maxxgrips in lighter carcasses which makes a pretty big difference on wet surfaces. Haven’t used that one much yet but I want to see how long I can stick with it into winter (autumn’s already been pretty bloody soggy…)

Haven’t tried the assegai. I really like the Mary, but only in the softest compounds and they wear a bit too fast for my tastes (and like a lot of Schwalbes, they lose a fair amount of grip early, when the block shape wears). Ended up preferring the big 2.5 Shorty for dirty conditions, the Mary’s a better allrounder but I’m not sure that’s the right place for it- I prefer the balance of a shorty for the bonus grip and a dhr2 as the allrounder, rather than trying to make a spiky tyre do the dry

moonsaballoon

Has anyone tried the bontragers , se5 or xr5 ? They get really good reviews but you don’t see many about . Or the msc tyres , always see these about sponsoring muckmedden events but you don’t see many reviews about .

Could be Good options .

joebristol

I’ve got a dhr2 on the rear of the bike for the winter in 2.3 / exo / dual compound. Found thats the best mix of grip / braking / rolling speed etc that I’ve found. I had the 3c version-on the front and found it tipped from the centre knobs I to washing out really quick for me – maybe I wasn’t aggressive enough getting over into the side knobs?

So have kind of ruled it out for the front – unless the 2.4”wt version in 3c is a different beast? I had the dual compound version of itnon the back and found it was just too draggy / heavy vs the 2.3” so I sold it after a few rides.

Looks like the Assegai might not be a good option in exo / exo+ having read the reviews above which say it’s unpredictable and can washnout vs the dhf.

Wild Enduro also seems to get some unpredictable comments – so maybe I’m best sticking to dhf or MM for now.

chiefgrooveguru

“maybe I’m best sticking to dhf or MM for now“

I think you’re at the point that the only way to get a tyre as good as both in terms of grip is to accept a fair bit more weight and drag.

I don’t ride much built bermy trail centre style stuff so I’ve found the cut spike-esque tyres like the Magic Mary and Hillbilly work well for me but I also ride somewhat off the back so I’m not loading the side knobs as hard on the front tyre.

russyh
    Free Member

I love the Magic Mary, great aground tyre.  Just found they don’t last well at all. If it’s not side knobs splitting, they round off very quickly which means the tyre starts to become less predictable in my opinion.  I made the move to Michellin’s out the box I didn’t like them.  The front needs to be worked pretty hard.  The rear isn’t the greatest rolling tyre.  That said I have persevered with them and I’m starting to get used to them.  I also find the front more predicable and easier to use.  Almost like it’s got better with a bit of wear.

Im not a fan of Maxxis tyres on the front full stop, but have not tried an Assegai.  That said I don’t ride much trail centre hardpack more rooty natural, muddy forests.

joebristol

If the Assegai was cheaper I’d get one and have a go anyway but it does seem to be flipping expensive. Especially compared to say a 2.35 soft snakeskin Mary.

nickc

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-mtb-tire-in-review/

Enduro magazine ran a test of a metric shit tonne of tyres a few months ago. I think all the ones you’re interested in, are in the test.

Shackleton

Wild enduro don’t work with 30mm rims as they get too square and fall over in corners, 25mm is about right.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Assegai is a really good tyre.

But then I still feel most Maxxis stuff in MaxxGrip is better than pretty much every other tyre brand out there. Shame it’s mostly in the super heavy duty compounds.

The MaxxTerra stuff isn’t bad, it’s more predictable than the Michelin’s IMO.

kelvin

29er MaxxGrip Exo is what most people seem to want up front… why are Maxxis so slow to deliver this option with their mainly front wheel oriented tyres?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had a fair few rides on the 2.6in Mary now, it’s a bloody great all-rounder and likely to get more use than my 2.5 Shorty and 2.5 DHF combined (due to living in NW England).

Whether that’ll fit your fork, I couldn’t say but it’s fine with a chunky mudguard in a boost Lyrik.

chiefgrooveguru

“I’ve had a fair few rides on the 2.6in Mary now, it’s a bloody great all-rounder“

Is that because up there you’re not dealing with mud so much, so although it’s wet you’re often on rock?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is that because up there you’re not dealing with mud so much, so although it’s wet you’re often on rock?

No, I meant because it’s wet most of the year.

It was brilliant on the rocks in the Lakes, very good on loamy trails and somewhere between a 2.35 Mary and a Shorty in real slop. So pretty good in mud too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

What’s the weight of the lightest assegai? Are they all really over 1000grams plus? Is there not a non DH version that’s lighter?

Really want to try one but don’t want a anchor up front

chiefgrooveguru

“somewhere between a 2.35 Mary and a Shorty in real slop. So pretty good in mud too“

That’s pretty impressive! Ultra soft or just soft? Snakeskin or SuperGravity?

chakaping
    Free Member

Snakeskin Soft for me on front.

Only ridden in fairly loose slop, as it’s been biblical up here, so not sure how it’d fare in claggier muck. Probably won’t shed as well as a Shorty.

Kamakazie

The SE5 is a great tyre but better as a rear in the slop much like the dhr2 or other similar styles.

If it’s mainly rooty then you are better off with the above styles in as soft a compound as you can get though. Extra surface area than the cut spikes.

E13 do soft options (40a / 42a like maxxgrip) that would be a good option of you wanted a lighter alternative!

The new Hutchinson Griffus is advertised as a dry / loose conditions tyre but with the tread and softish compound (40a / 50a} it could be a solid option for winter riding.

russyh
    Free Member

Wild enduro don’t work with 30mm rims

contradicts most of the reviews…also my experience of running them on 30mm rims.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Wild enduro don’t work with 30mm rims

contradicts most of the reviews…also my experience of running them on 30mm rims.

They definitely didn’t work well on my 35mm Hope rims – subjectively and objectively (have quite a few timed runs to show this).

JP

joebristol

At the risk of asking a stupid question, how big does a magic Mary 2.6 come up on a 30mm internal rim?

The 2.35” MM fits comfortably through both my non boost Lyrik and non boost Pike. The 2.5wt DHF has enough room – if I run an Enduro guard it’s also still fine, but when I run a big rrp proguard (really ugly) up front with the 2.5” dhf you can hear the mud catching the underneath when it gets gloopy. I’ve actually decided I prefer an old school crudcatcher to the various front mudguards I’ve tried.

chakaping
    Free Member

At the risk of asking a stupid question, how big does a magic Mary 2.6 come up on a 30mm internal rim?

Bit bigger than a 2.5 DHF, but not massively bigger.

HTH

fathomer

Oscillate Wildly Member

What’s the weight of the lightest assegai? Are they all really over 1000grams plus? Is there not a non DH version that’s lighter?

Really want to try one but don’t want a anchor up front

My 29er 3c Max Terra Exo was about 1075g from memory. So pretty weighty, though seems a pretty good tyre.

joebristol

Could be tempted to try the bigger Mary then just for a giggle – I’ll go and see how much that weighs in comparison to check it’s not a boat anchor etc or that it costs like £60 – would prefer not to pay that much for a tyre ideally (which can be a problem with Maxxis).

Out of the Michelin tyres –
    Which is actually softer / grippier, the magic-x or the gum-x? I’ve seen conflicting comments on that.

chiefgrooveguru

Measurements here:

http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de/reifen-Schwalbe-Magic%20Mary-29×2.60.html

You can compare your other tyres too. I’d ignore the average measurement at the top because there are occasionally some poor measurements throwing things off, but it’s a pretty useful (and amusingly Germanic) site!

joebristol

I can’t work our that site – I don’t even have gcse German as I did French instead!

I don’t suppose you could see widths of 2.5wt dhf vs Magic Mary 2.6 – both in 650b pretty please?

chiefgrooveguru

“I can’t work our that site – I don’t even have gcse German as I did French instead!”

Just look at the pictures, no language skills necessary!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Could be tempted to try the bigger Mary then just for a giggle – I’ll go and see how much that weighs in comparison to check it’s not a boat anchor etc or that it costs like £60 – would prefer not to pay that much for a tyre ideally (which can be a problem with Maxxis).

Out of the Michelin tyres –
    Which is actually softer / grippier, the magic-x or the gum-x? I’ve seen conflicting comments on that.

The Gum-Xis meant to be softer. The Magi-X is slightly harder but also slower rebounding (which usually happens when the tyre is softer. Neither is particularly soft, though.

If you really want to try one, I’ve got a Magi-X Wild Enduro that’s done about 100 off road miles and is about 1/6th worn, which you could have for £15.

JP

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I love reading these tyre threads but I always come away struggling to understand why no one can get a grippy, fast, resistant tyre for all-year use across most surface types? I’m too tight to have a pair for winter and a pair for the rest of the year.

SirHC

Last winter was pretty dry, only a few rides needed a shorty up front, most of the time it was dhf/dhr.

Ran an assegai (Maxx grip, DH casing) out in Morzine this year, trails were very dusty and on the steep off piste stuff, the braking traction on the front was very good, dhf on the back was no where near as good as a dhr, but I didn’t want to buy a dhr when I had two DH casing super tackys to use up.

Have run the DH casing assegai a few times in the UK, once at FOD, pedal up at Golfie/Glentress off piste and then at Innerleithen uplift day. Amazing tyre, corners like a minion but with even bigger side knobs and brakes like a dhr. Seems to have a wider window and can deal with wet roots and rock very well. It will struggle in sticky mid, although I’ve seen a few pictures of pros cutting out the small side knobs to open the tread a little.

Have an exo casing on the front of the Enduro, not used it yet. Think I weighed it at 1050g, so about the same as an exo Maxx grip dhf. Would of been nice for maxxis to have done an exo/exo+ in maxxgrip, as would of sacrificed a bit of rolling speed for better compound.

Hoping to get out on the Enduro next weekend and find some slop to see what’s what.

joebristol

I love reading these tyre threads but I always come away struggling to understand why no one can get a grippy, fast, resistant tyre for all-year use across most surface types? I’m too tight to have a pair for winter and a pair for the rest of the year.

To be fair the dhf or Mary are both good all rounders on the front and a dhr2 on the back is fine as well. Just I prefer the aggressor in the summer on the back as it seems to be a bit faster and quite entertaining in terms of slipping a bit when you want it to.

I’m just a bit of a bike fiddler for fiddlings sake tbf – I don’t ‘need’ a different front tyre I just fancy a change.

Very tempted to try the bigger Mary as according to that site it’s not much bigger than the 2.5wt dhf.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’d try the Assegai if I were you – it’s better than the Magic Mary in the dry and wet. Even in quite thick mud it’s great.

JP

joebristol

I’d try the Assegai if I were you – it’s better than the Magic Mary in the dry and wet. Even in quite thick mud it’s great.

JP

I’d be looking at an exo /
    Exo+ Assegai so it wouldn’t be the maxxgrip as they don’t make that compound in that casing I don’t think.

I read in one of the reviews above that it was a bit unpredictable in certain cases where the same compound in the DHF is more reliable – which slightly worries me. I ride third bike on a few chunky rides so don’t really want to carry round a DD casing one.

If you really want to try one, I’ve got a Magi-X Wild Enduro that’s done about 100 off road miles and is about 1/6th worn, which you could have for £15.

JP

Thanks for this offer – by no-one at all has talked up the Wild Enduro on forums – although a few reviews were positive. I’d be more tempted if it was a gum-x if thats the softer compound.

duncancallum

Dunno I rate the michellens

Very stable n grippy. Slop wise not great but no worse than Every thing else

honourablegeorge

paulneenan76

I love reading these tyre threads but I always come away struggling to understand why no one can get a grippy, fast, resistant tyre for all-year use across most surface types?

Grippy is basically the opposite of fast. And the opposite of resistant too. It’s two out of three territory, maybe one.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Conti Der Baron – awesome tyre. Especially on the Off Piste round FOD. Sidewalls degrade but still runs fine

joebristol

I hadn’t considered Conti as I’d always thought they didn’t play nicely with tubeless and the sidewalls constantly seeped sealant? Although I didn’t mind the 2.4 Mountain kings in black chilli I used to run with tubes a number of years ago on a shorter travel trail bike.

I’ve read reviews of the 2.6” Magic Mary and the constant theme coming out of hat they are vague and prone to wash out on hardpack and the 2.35 Mary is much better for this.

So I’m tempted just to buy another snakeskin soft 2.35 Mary or an Assegai exo max terra and see how that is. Might just come down to cost and availability.

russyh
    Free Member

2.6 Mary is a brilliant tyre.  If you run one with an insert like rimpact it makes it even better in my experience.  I took a photo of my 2.6 Mary fitted to WTB 30mm rims on my winter bike with callipers so you can see real life measurements.  Can’t say I really notice any horrific squirm even on hardpack bermtastic places like BPW.  But I tend to run higher pressures than usual at bike parks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘(Sorry) DHF vs Assegai vs Magic Mary vs Wild Enduro’ is closed to new replies.