• This topic has 55 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • (Sorry) DHF vs Assegai vs Magic Mary vs Wild Enduro
  • russyh
    Free Member

For reference here is my Wild enduro Frnt on a 30mm rim…

russyh
    Free Member

Sorry – page split has meant Mary picture and info is on page 1…..

So less than 2mm in difference between the 2.4 Michelin and 2.6 Mary.

Shackleton

Tyres are such a personal thing and the rim width vs tyre size makes a huge difference, as well as hardtail/full suss, terrain, surface type, and on and on and on!

I have run 29er DHR2 2.3 EXO 3c on 25 mm rims for 4 years but got fed up with carcass delamination and distortion long before the tread dies. So tried the wild enduro (magic-x2 front gum rear). And I love them for the same type of trails as the DHR2 but for my money the michelins go round corners better (huge well supported side knobs) but are slightly less good in gloopy mud (they are bigger). The michelin tyre magic-x compound is great when you are pushing it but doesn’t do much if you are just “out for a ride”. The gum-x is better for that.

I mentioned on another thread that I tried them on 25 and 30mm rims. On 25 the profile was nice, on 30 it squared off too much and didn’t like corners so much, I imagine that on 35mm they are shite. I’m trying to find the source but I recall Michelin recommending a 25mm rim with 30 as the max; as 25mm is rather narrow these days I can see why people give them indifferent reviews as they are being used at the design limit. Same for a DHR2, if you run 30mm rims you should probably use the WT format rather than standard otherwise the knobs will be in the “wrong” place.

joebristol

Wow, cheers for the further insight. I’m a bit conflicted now in terms of what to do!

chakaping
    Free Member

Supplemental info – the 2.6 Mary rolls surprisingly well. I thought it might be a bit draggy to push around but not sure I can tell difference from narrower version.

russyh
    Free Member

I think that’s because it’s not hugely different in size to the normall Mary, despite what the tyre size says. For me the knobs are better spaced, larger and just alround better on the 2.6.  I get more grip because I run lower pressure with an insert I get slightly less tyre role than expected.  Genuinely it’s a great tyre and seems to hold up better than the 2.35.  Would happily run another on my big bike if Schwable made a rear tyre that was any good or lasted more than a couple of weeks.  My OCD doesn’t allow me to mix brands on the posh bike…ok on the winter hack….

joebristol

Someone I ride with pointed out the Specialized tyre sale that is on at present and a potential bargain couldn’t be resisted.

So I’ve ordered a 2.6” Hillbilly in Gripton compound / Grid casing for £24. Hopefully here in the next few days and I’ll see how it goes.

Seems it will fit through a non boost Yari on a 27mm internal rim so hopefully fine through mine on a 30mm internal rim.

teethgrinder

A 2.6 Hillbilly on a Hope 35W fits thtough a non-Boost Yari.

pothead
    Free Member

Currently running a 2.5 exo Maxterra Shorty up front and pretty happy with it so far, it will be staying on over the winter. I have used magic mary soft in the past but i find the shorty a slightly better all rounder as it grips a bit better on hardpack while they are pretty much equal in the slop/mud. Original plan was to fit an Assegai but could only find DH casing, and I was told a certain former world dh champ and Maxxis test pilot wasn’t a fan of the prototypes he had used, price difference was the main reason for choosing the Shorty in the end tho

chakaping
    Free Member

i find the shorty a slightly better all rounder as it grips a bit better on hardpack

Not looking to have an argument about tyres, but I find it the opposite way round. Mary better on hardpack and Shorty better in slop or loam.

One man’s meat…

pothead
    Free Member

To be fair the Shorty is a 29er, MM was 27.5 so may be a factor. I have a 2.5 Maxxgrip exo DHF ready to try as I hear it’s the best of both worlds

joebristol

I’ve got the 2.5wt max terra dhf and to be fair it’s great on hardpack and manages ok ish on wet stuff – but in mud / wet roots etc I find the Magic Mary retains the ability to turn much better.

It’s the dhf that is being replaced by the hillbilly for the winter. Come summer it’ll go back on again.

I haven’t tried a shorty but everything I’ve read / been told suggests the MM will be better on hardpack then the shorty – but the shorty does better in proper muddy conditions.

chiefgrooveguru

“So I’ve ordered a 2.6” Hillbilly in Gripton compound / Grid casing for £24.”

I’ve had a 29” one of these up front for almost a year. I think it’s a really good tyre for all conditions. It doesn’t feel that sticky to the touch but it grips remarkably well on hard stuff and properly digs into soft ground for turning and braking. Wear rate is incredibly good. Very predictable and is the best tyre I’ve had for catching itself after letting go on a slimy root etc.

joebristol

I think it’s a really good tyre for all conditions. It doesn’t feel that sticky to the touch but it grips remarkably well on hard stuff and properly digs into soft ground for turning and braking. Wear rate is incredibly good. Very predictable and is the best tyre I’ve had for catching itself after letting go on a slimy root etc.

This sounds really promising – let’s hope the 650b one is as good as this!

joebristol

So the Hillbilly arrived pretty promptly and I fitted it yesterday. Went on first attempt with one blast from an airshot – fitted into an XM481 rim.

It’s pretty big – but not a huge amount bigger than the previous DHF I had on there. Plenty of room through the non-boost Yari/Lyrik – I might even be able to fit a mudguard on too – although it would be tight I suspect in claggy mud. In any case I tend to run a crud catcher only just to catch the worst of the mud.

Might be a while before I get out to give the tyre a go though – I currently have man flu!

SirHC

Have an exo casing on the front of the Enduro, not used it yet. Think I weighed it at 1050g, so about the same as an exo Maxx grip dhf. Would of been nice for maxxis to have done an exo/exo+ in maxxgrip, as would of sacrificed a bit of rolling speed for better compound.

Ran the MaxxTerra at both FOD (5ways, off piste stuff near the trail centre) and at some localish dh trails (surface very similar to cannocks non-waymarked dh trails)

Very pleased with the tyre, predicatble and dealt with the softer/wetter ground better than a Minion DHF would of. Didn’t clog and plenty of side bite and brake traction.
    Been running a super tacky minion dhf for most of the summer (exo casing), which has a different feel to a maxxterra, tyre has less rebound. Please Maxxis…

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘(Sorry) DHF vs Assegai vs Magic Mary vs Wild Enduro’ is closed to new replies.