Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sorry! Best online site to plot a route/ create a gpx file on an OS map?
  • Poopscoop

Bound to have been asked a million times, sorry guys.

I can do it via the mobile app on Viewranger but would be easier on A PC tbh.

Ideally like to plot it on an an OS map.

EDIT: Actually, does Viewranger allow you too do this on their web site?!

Poopscoop

Ah, yes, viewranger site does it fine.👍

Sorry Mods!

Poopscoop

Wow….I do love viewranger but their route/gpx creator needs some work.😳

Why ok earth can’t you delete a load of waypoints in one go for instance, instead of just individually?…. and having to confirm each deletion twice. Makes an easy job a real pain in the rear.

dirkpitt74

What about the OS website/app?

robj20
    Free Member

This is my favourite.

https://www.gaiagps.com/

spooky_b329

Do you specifically want to do it on an OS map?

If you are happy with one of about 8 different mapping layers, Ride With GPS is good, and it adds turn by turn directions for Wahoo devices too. Can also jump into streetview to check if your bridleway joins a nice little country lane or nasty busy B road.

paladin

I use the OS website and app, it’s pretty good

jameso

Try Bikehike.co.uk? I use that and RWGPS mostly. RWGPS for most routing and editing, Bikehike for referencing OS maps vs OSCycle layers.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Walklakes.co.uk

joebristol

I gave up on ride with gps after one go – as I’ve got a Garmin I thought I’d have a go with Connect (on desktop). Worked ok and once uploaded to my edge 530 it had turn by turn instructions in it automatically – it gave a little beep to prompt looking down to check the next instruction. On road it couldn’t have been easier.

Haven’t tried it off-road yet though – I’m guessing tbt won’t be as effective.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I use

https://www.justgoride.co.uk/

Uses bing OS maps and works really well. Lots to explore route wise too

timmys

I adore OS maps, and do some planning using the OS site which I sub to. But to be honest now Strava has the feature to route plan with the ability to snap to their heatmap, that is soooo much quicker/easier.

Also you can get Strava to auto sync routes to Garmin Connect so they just appear on your Garmin with no extra steps. I think that is a pretty recent addition too.

Bez

I normally use RWGPS for everything and if I need to know detail from OS maps I use Bing Maps in another browser tab/window. (NB RWGPS needs to be in “walking” mode to follow most off-road trails.) Not exactly seamless but still works better than the alternatives I’ve tried.

Ogg

For road stuff I use Strava, for off road I’ll either use https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk export as gpx then import into komoot to get all the navigation points or Strava followed by Komoot so I can see how many footpaths Strava has sent me down! (and to see if I’ve got Veloviewer squares…)

Both Strava+Komoot sync to my Wahoo gps which saves another step.

https://www.plotaroute.com/ has some nice features (Google streetview as you plot a route is pretty good)

I use to use bikehike a lot but it doesn’t do off road routing.

garage-dweller

I bought a sub to OS Maps 2-3 years ago when we were on holiday in the lakes.

Easy to use, it’s always the latest maps and the OS map app on a mobile phone is usable for full navigation or just position checking against paper.

For less than £30 a year for the UK, the ability to print an A4 or A3 day use map for walking or the for kids to practice navigation with while out walking is fantastic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sorry! Best online site to plot a route/ create a gpx file on an OS map?’ is closed to new replies.