Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Something to bring some slight cheer to these dark times
  • binners

Manchester City! Seriously… Is there anything funnier?

Even if you’re not into football, its worth reading the continuing saga in the sports pages

Its really is the gift that keeps on giving. It keeps getting better and better. Even when you think it can’t

SO they’ve tried to sign Kaka, Villa, Buffon, Henry and now Drogba. All of who appeared to have gone “erm…. thanks but no thanks”. And their £30 million star signing has chucked his rattle out of the pram and stormed off back to Brazil

Richest club in the world! It goes to show, money can’t buy you happiness. Though it will get you Craig Bellamy! 🙂

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Let me guess, you support Man Ure?

binners

However did you guess? Seriously though…. its universally amusing no matter who you support

BigDummy
    Free Member

I do not really understand all of this. It seems to be getting more like a cycling team, in that there is no pretence of actual geographic association with a place, just a financial backer, a management and a group of players who the financial backer can afford to pay.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’m a blue and even I’m finding it funny.

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Binners, I find it quite worrying. I’m a Liverpool supporter so obviously, I’m a big Torres fan. I think he’s comparable to Kaka, perhaps 80 or 90% as good (you could probably make a similar argument for your prancing show pony/Ferrari wrecker), in which case, he has a potential value of up to 90 million quid (if a club is prepared to pay which City obviously are).
    It’s all well and good if your team own players like that, but what about in 10 years time when Torres and Gerrard need replacing?
    We’re going to end up with a handful of ‘Galacticos’, teams that are little more than rich men’s play things, showcases of the cream of the world’s footballing talent, and then a lower eschelon of teams that rely on TV money and ticket sales to fund their purchasing.

binners

Snigletrack – I think there are signs of the opposite. Kaka turned down a £500,000 a week salary to stay where he was. Winning trophies being more important to him than just picking up a massive salary

The other clubs are naming outrageous transfer fees as a way of saying ‘**** off!”. I’m sure Rafa will do the same when they put in a bid for Torres 🙂

Snigletrack
    Free Member

I hope you’re right, but when City are in the top half of the table, I suspect they’ll have far more luck in the transfer market.

Snigle
    :o(

binners

Its kind of Catch 22 though isn’t it? They’re not going to get to champions league places without new players. They can’t just buy new ‘decent’ players without being able to promise champions league football

hora
    Free Member

Snigletrack, binners is also a Scouser. Typical, all Man U fans are from somewhere else!

binners

You’re pushing your luck Hora!!!

hora
    Free Member

Eh eh carm daarn. You never know. Huddersfield town welcomes the Arab billionares. Just as long as the money drifts that way and theres no way Arabs would invest in that racist ‘other’ West yorkshire football club hey.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think he’s comparable to Kaka

In that he is a footballer? It is the only comparison between the two. And I would much, MUCH rather have Ronaldo in my team over Torres any single day of the week.

And I am a Leeds fan, so no hint of bias towards my team’s players.

surfer
    Free Member

Do Leeds still have a football team?

hora
    Free Member

I dont get how they have a relatively high-turn out still considering Bates isnt exactly building a premiership team there is he? 😉

trailmonkey

To get back to the OP, yes it is all rather amusing. I wonder how long/how many knock backs it will take before the money men realise that no one wants top play for Man City or Mark Hughes and they pull all their money out and find a club that they’ve got a chance of advancing.

nickc

They’ve replaced my team (NUFC) as the laughing stock du jour, so yep, I’m enjoying seeing some other team being ridiculed in the press…

Snigletrack
    Free Member

Ronaldo is undoubtedly an amazing talent, but I wouldn’t be proud to have him in my team in the same way that I’m proud to see Torres in a Liverpool shirt.

Ronaldo is a whining, diving, slimey, spoilt little smacked-arsed brat and I’d hate him no matter who he played for.

trailmonkey

They’ve replaced my team (NUFC) as the laughing stock du jour

No they haven’t. They’ve just joined you as being a pack of dreamers.

surfer
    Free Member

Ronaldo is a whining, diving, slimey, spoilt little smacked-arsed brat and I’d hate him no matter who he played for.

He’s certainly the worst of a bad bunch at the moment but many teams have a proportion of players prepared to act like this, Gerrard being one of them unfortunately.

Philby

Yes this is getting really competitive.

We (i.e. Leeds United) were miles ahead in the Laughing Stock League for years, and then we were successfully challenged by the Toon. And now these upstarts from Mancs with all this money think they can come along and get to the top of the league just by throwing money at it!

Come on Batesy – do something stupid to get us back to the top of the league 😆

surfer
    Free Member

Just Jokin with the Leeds comment! 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well yeah I guessed – this thread isn’t about LUFC, I just mentioned it to emphasise how little alliegence I have to Manchester Utd. I just rate Ronaldo as a player. I guess he is allowed to be whingey because of his natinality – the meds are a bit more firey than your average English Joe. But Gerrard – he really does deserve a slap. He should be a good Englishman and behave in a very English manner, not be some Prima Donna.

steviep
    Free Member

Hey binners
    To think I was gonna show you round the lincs wolds last year, good job I didnt know you were a utd fan!! The kaka saga was a right farce but then thats City for you, but just think on, it wont happen overnight but sometime soon we will become the number one team not just in manchester but everywhere!!!!
    Come on you blues!

snowslave

rags fans commenting on clubs buying success…. Helloooooo??????

simon_g
    hora
    Free Member

Binners (serious question). If you werent a red you’d naturally be a Toffee wouldnt you?

psychle
    Free Member

I found this amusing 🙂

binners

For Snigletrack and other scousers

Brilliant

surfer
    Free Member

That is brilliant. What a talent!

ransos
    Free Member

As a Hammers fan I’m delighted not only to see the back of Bellamy, but that another club was stupid enough to give us £14 million for him.

matthewjb
    Free Member

As a Hammers fan I’m delighted not only to see the back of Bellamy, but that another club was stupid enough to give us £14 million for him.

As a Spurs fan I’m delighted we were outbid.

IHN

A guy at work was on the train and overheard a conversation from someone who must work for City:

“Hello, is that Kaka? How do you fancy becoming the supply line to Craig Bellamy and Darius Vassell this winter?

“No, your fellow countryman doesn’t like the cold and will be out until mid April – but you will play alongside Stephen Ireland”

“No, Kaka, Ireland is a person not a country”

“yes, I fully appreciate that he is not Ronaldinho, Pirlo or even Beckham but many fans have him in their fantasy football”

“I know you are currently the richest man in Italy but we can double it!”

“erm, well, we have had a bit of a slide recently and we are currently 15th”

“erm, out of 20…… but Mark Hughes once won the double for our neighbours”

“Hughes”

“Ex Blackburn boss”

“Blackburn, Blackburn Rovers”

“No, Blackburn……Black…..Burn”

“HUGHES man, HUGHES!!!”

“He once scored a good goal against Spain”

“No, thats Gerry Armstrong….. anyway, are you coming or not?”

“Usually about two thirds full but if we play a big team its really rocks”

“yes I know, but we dont even have a car park cos all the fans walk to the ground they are so local”

“Relevance? well, I suppose its all they have to brag about whether its true or not”

“Only the one to be fair but its called ‘blue moon’ you will love it”

“Blue”

“yes, definitely blue, always has been”

“No, no, no, they are in Trafford”

“yes they are, steeped in it in fact but what good is history to you my ambitious friend?”

“erm, 1976 I think”

“it was the er, the er League cup if memory serves me right”

“Well, the plan was to get in the top 4 this season and then…..”

“yes, I realise that but…..”

“Aston Villa? Whats it got to do with them?”

“Yes, I know but we have been down this history route already”

“How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know about Nottingham Forest?”

“Yes, yes, and Leeds United also made a final but you are missing my point, this is all about the future”

“Give me strength……HUGHES!!!!”

“yes I know he did and he was a legend there but he is a changed man”

“forget them, they are falling apart”

“But all those trophies were won last year! They have won nothing in 2009”

“I have told you…. 1976!!!!”

“How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know that Virginia Wade has won Wimbledon since then?”

“Yes she probably is in her 60’s”

“I dont know, probably about 10 league titles, 2 european cups and countless domestic cups what has that got to do with it?”

“76,000 why?”

“yes, every game, even minor cups I suppose, but where is this getting us?”

“Yes, the league cup is considered a minor cup over here why?”

“I know, I know, I know, ok perhaps they won the FA Cup in 1970 or something does it really matter?”

“look, Kaka, we will treble whatever you are on now, buy you a mansion in Alderley Edge and give you a helicopter for your front lawn….are you joining us?”

“NO!, its owned by the council – what has the ground got to do with anything”

“well, officially its the city of manchester stadium but most people call it Eastlands”

“EAST!, not Waste”

“You will be adored there”

“No, not there, here I meant”

“No, thats Old Trafford, I meant adored here at Waste….erm, Eastlands”

“Anderson??? what does he know?”

“Ok I hear what you say, but other than Pride, Ambition, Achievement, History, Passion and a large car park – what can they offer you?”

“what do you mean no credit left in your phone…..I phoned you”

“Hello, Mr Kaka,…… Mr Kaka are you there?……………………….YOU RED B*ST*RD!!!!!”

🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL!

Good to see, though. Apparently Kaka was recieving messages from loads of top players, advising him against the move. Nice to see that money isn’t always everything. If Man Shitty were currently top 4, then things may have been different.

Sad state of affairs, that footy is reduced to ‘who’s got the biggest wallets win’. Speshly when you consider that there are some great managers around, look at Martin O’Neil, and even David Moyes has done quite well with some crap players. Mind, Hughes would not have lasted long. If you’re gonna build a team of superstars, you’d need a proper manager.

Man Shitty will probably buy several Shevchneko types; players that have shown class, but won’t settle, and turn out to be massive disappointments. And they’ll cost sh1t loads of money, then leave for next to nowt.

Funny to watch all this, though.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Here’s something interesting: Liverpool in possible takeover?

Kaka at Anfield? Now that would be fair enough…

ourmaninthenorth

I do not really understand all of this. It seems to be getting more like a cycling team, in that there is no pretence of actual geographic association with a place, just a financial backer, a management and a group of players who the financial backer can afford to pay.

Less requirement for complex chemistry sets and drugs in hotel rooms in foorball teams.

Oh, hold on….

jimmy

Best analogy I’ve heard is Man City as the pissed up, ugly rich fool stumbling round outside a nightclub at the end of a night chatting up supermodels to come back to his place.

Hahahahahahahaha, I hope the same happens to Liverpool & Chelsea (who are being lined up by fellow Arabs apparently) and when they run out of oil the whole premiership suffers its own not-so-insignificant credit crunch.

hora
    Free Member

I still remember the time 4 thick **** City fans started singing theres only one Petrov to me as I walked into a pub with some mates. It was definitely me as they were sat close. I asked a mate who Petrov was afterwards and he laughed saying ‘are they blind/thick etc’

🙄

Ps. The mates I was with were girls and the mate afterwards was Binners – I tink? So either I know some pretty ugly girls..

snowslave

You’re all big bullies. Show Citeh some love eh?

surfer
    Free Member

run out of oil the whole premiership suffers

Although we all may have bigger fish to fry!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Something to bring some slight cheer to these dark times’ is closed to new replies.