Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Some BIG swell coming in
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

The black is >48ft swell due to land later today.

http://magicseaweed.com/news/Atlantic-Code-Red-Incoming/5954/

creamegg
    Free Member

website linky?

jam-bo

tinybits
    Free Member

I thought that was a cloud!

That’s the place where the 100ft wave was surfed wasn’t it?

jam-bo

nah, thats sennen.

there will be plenty of pics coming out of nazare, portugal later on today.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wooohoooo!!!

Mates are already on Red Bull Storm Chase countdown.. 😀

wwaswas

This was in Ireland last night;

nickhart
    Free Member

That is utterly bonkers. I hope all the folks that live in its path get their stuff protected.

PJ266
    Free Member

The Azores are pumping.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m very glad our beach hut faces East!

PJ266
    Free Member

As is Aberystwyth. I was at uni there a couple of years ago, my room in first year was on the first floor of the below building. You can just see it as a slight bay window. Front row seats!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Bet these guys are sizing it up already

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtSf1tfzZk[/video]

http://www.redbullstormchase.com/

ocrider

This was in Ireland last night;

The missus comes from a little up the coast from Lahinch, so was reading all the Irish papers online for more info. The water got 500 metres inland!

nedrapier
    singletrackmind

There appears to be a flood in front of my flat.
    The sea has breached the defences further up the road and the set waves are running into the road .
    The EA spent £5m on 70,000 tones of Norwegian Granite blocks to build up a huge shingle bank . Unfortunatly every 20 secs 70,000 tonnes of water washes the supporting shingle away .
    Biggish tides and a F7 SSW , coupled with low pressure overhead all mean high sea levels and big waves ( for the Solent ) bet its huge at Marazion , Bluff, Gower , Croyde and Daymar Bay. The doom bar will be mast+ .. scary.

There will be epic surf conditions if the wind drops off as it is fairly chopping just now .

piemonster

Blimey 😯

nedrapier

wow. Where are you, singletrackmind?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

there is foam everywhere here (gower) its drifting inland on the wind. its like an Ibiza rave

bikebouy
    Free Member

😯

Stay safe folks

takisawa2

Being my closest expanse of water, I shall be keeping a close eye on the swell conditions on the Lichfield & Heatherton Canal.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve got mates flying over from the states just to be here for the swell. Windsurfers seem to be going to Ireland, surfer to Portugal and SW France.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There are some days that I’m dead chuffed to live over 1000ft above sea level and about as far from the sea as it’s possible to get.

jam-bo

Bit chunky in Ireland…

singletrackmind

Hayling Island , 3 miles East of Portsmouth .
    Approx 10ft ASL , which doesnt seem quite enough just now.
    I live 100m from the sea , which is epic on ‘big’ days and I windsurf alot and am reasonably proficient at it ( big floaty jumps and am almost sailing away from back loops )
    I would have loved to get out tomorrow , if the wind swings more westerly and drops 10knots. It will be stunt ramp heaven but work calls unfortunatly.

Sea level dropped now as high water was 3pm, another high at 0350 tomorrow morning will be interesting , although the tides are dropping as we are heading onto neaps. Will probably be less windswell ,although its F8 just now .

matt_outandabout

Blimey. Impressive, intimidating and awful if your property is being flattened.. .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed, the power of the sea is amazing.

I’ll dig out some footage from Biarritz which has been in French TV today, a couple of numpties where on a cliff side path thinking they were safe and got swept out to see by a big wave which crashed against the cliff, miracle they survived.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been watching the water coming in and out of the Thames for a few months from this office window. It’s always been flowing quite fast one way or the other, or just churning about when the tide’s on the turn.

Today however it was low and almost dead calm. A bit spooky really.. I assume the barrier was down.

scuttler

The barrier was down.

Alpha1653

I live not far from Newgale in Pembroekshire and this was the scene on Saturday. The pebbles were a massive beach defence. Now they’re covering the main road between Haverfordwest and St Davids.

There’s a main road under there somewhere!

CountZero

Amazing photo on magicseaweed taken today of some bloke ragdoll-ing off the top of a ginormous wave in Ireland.

Bregante

Good grief Alpha, I drove along that road back in August on a gorgeous summers day. That’s frankly amazing.

Edit: ran along here every day that August week 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3sdp-wEPQM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Alpha1653

Tell me about it. That lake on the right hand side is the campsite right behind Newgale. Thing is, that’s the main route to work for me and a lot of others with whom I work. Good job they gave us an extra 1.5 days off because if it then?!

DrP

Hmmm..I live a few hundred feet from the sea.
    A few thousand km from Singletrackmind.

Should I put my wellies on?

DrP

pictonroad

You’ll be fine Doc.

DrP

Fail…that should read a few thousand metres from singletrackmi….

Oh it’s all gone wrong…

DrP

nedrapier

seawater in your keyboard?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Hi Alpha, you ride locally then?
    Looks like the diggers are heading in to clear Newgale road in the next day or 2.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Some BIG swell coming in’ is closed to new replies.