Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Some big bike advice please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys I’ve got about £1500 for a 170-180mm bike. No I have no need for it but it’s a want. I’m lost as to what is good and what isn’t. I’m not looking for a 38lb monster but I know I won’t beat around 34/5 which is fine. I want it to be able to winch up and fly down. What bikes should I be considering? Thanks.

davosaurusrex

I’m after the same sort of thing for the same reason (i.e. tenuous). If a 20″ fits and you can stretch to 2k I’d buy one of the remaining 2016 Radon Swoops off Bike-discount.de. Great reviews and awesome spec for the money. About 32lbs as well. Unfortunately I need a 22″

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m good for an 18 roughly. 20 would be like a gate on me.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d put the last-model Orange Patriot on the shortlist, size large should be fine for you.

You’d get a top-notch example for your budget – or perhaps even buy a frame and build one with choice components. I’d suggest a Marz 66 RC3 ti fork and CCDB coil shock, some sturdy wheels, Schwalbe supergravity carcass tyres, Reverb, 1×11 gears, Zee brakes.

And don’t forget a pair of offset bushings to put the head angle at 64.5deg.

I do miss mine…

Review here

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Look at Radon – my mate got a big travel one – 160/170mm or so for around £1500. Amazing equipment on it and light too. Truly amazing and well worth it.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks chakaping I will have a look. I’ve found a radon swoop but it’s the 190 model and I’m guessing it’s for more dh.

davosaurusrex

You’re only doing that because I beat you to recommending what you’ve got chakaping!
    Bike discount did have the 2×11 in 18″ last time I looked. I would want the Vivid shock on the 1×11 though, not the monarch on the 2×11. Because I’m totally good enough to justify it. Ahem.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Anyone got any opinions on the mondraker prayer 180mm? Found a good one but can’t find any reviews on it.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’re only doing that because I beat you to recommending what you’ve got chakaping!

I thought the Swoop might be a bit too far over budget to mention TBH, and I kind of assumed he was talking about a freeride bike rather than enduro.

This is a bargain if you can live with 165mm rear / 170mm front…
    https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/80773/GT_Sanction_Expert_275Inch_2016_Bike

My pal has the more fancy model and it handles gnarly stuff very well.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks chakaping I’ve got a sensor modified with a bigger shock running 150mm so that’s a bit close to it. I’m figuring out a scott voltage might fit the bill.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Some big bike advice please’ is closed to new replies.