Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Solo night riding
  • badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

Who else loves a bit of this? Dark misty woods all too your self? Good for the soul or dangerous and irresponsible?

goby

Yep love it good for the soul

BearBack
    Free Member

Cyotes make me nervous.
    Even gotta keep your eyes out for cougar eyes off the back of the pack on group rides.

sweepy
    Free Member

I love solo night rides and runs, Its amazing how many other lights you see in the distance.

scotroutes

Yeah. Night running is very special. Spooky animal eyes notwithstanding.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

One of the best. Group riding at night is fantastic, but solo is simply SPECIAL 😀

Cheers!
    I.

tenfoot

Yep, love it.

Yak

Good. Remember YOU are the weirdo the woods.

jimmy748

Yes but wearing headphones.

corroded
    Free Member

Yep, anything that takes you out of the everyday is a good thing.

winston
    Free Member

Yep. Love it.

Luckily my commute is partly over the South Downs which is a great way to ride at night.

Quite often switch off my lights and marvel at both the heavens and the swathe of headlights below.

Also like doing forest runs like Friston solo at night.  Loads of wildlife around.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Love it. Used to do 15 miles on the Ridgeway most nights. Owls badger and once just stopped looking at half a dozen deer looking back at me for a couple of minutes. Magical.

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

Good to hear others are into it! I find it magical, it intensifies all the experiences.

richmtb

Back when a 10w halogen was considered a good light it was properly freaky.

Now with 1500+ lumens it feels like cheating. Still enjoy it though.

core

Yep, it’s been most of my riding over winter, and hope to get out Saturday night for a couple of hours. I spend a lot of time outdoors, including at night, shooting and stuff, proper country boy, I generally never give anything other than the riding a thought, unless there’s a weird rustle in the bushes. I love it, I like the solitude, nature, having wherever I go to myself, hard to beat. It’s quite a smug feeling of satisfaction I get riding back past all the houses full of people sat watching crap TV whilst I’ve been blasting through the woods.

Last week I did ride over a dead bow and and up with a stick through my back wheel, I managed to stop, clear it and get going very quickly!

To my shame, after I’d got home from my own ride, I went out in the car and nearly pulled out of a junction in front of a cycle commuter. Combination of a pretty crap light on the bike, fog, and lots of bright lights around, cars, petrol station, security lights etc. I don’t normally have my own bike lights on flashing mode on the road, but I will next time out!

colournoise

Really didn’t like it the first few times, but now I relish it. With a good moon will often ride without lights when it’s (mostly) safe to do so. There’s nothing out there to get you.

(and I’ll keep maintaining that until the Rutland Panther mauls me to shreds)

Embrace the darkness…

epicyclo

I just take the hound along – in case there’s werewolves

She likes a good feed…

(Why is the pic sideways?)

sweepy
    Free Member

She’s taking that overhang well

markgraylish
    Free Member

@Bearback
    Is there much of a night-riding scene in Squamish?

I’ve done quite a bit on Fromme and Seymour, usually with a riding buddy and/or trail dog but occasionally solo.
    Ive often wondered what riding some of the big slabs like In & Out Burger would be like in the dark!

BearBack
    Free Member

Not right now but when we’re snow free and it’s clear you’ll often come across a couple of groups when out.
    Those slabs run wet, you’d have to pick your nights to avoid a skating rink.

anagallis_arvensis

Back when a 10w halogen was considered a good light it was properly freaky.

You could have your 2.5w flood on too especially if you had a spare lead acid battery in your camel back!!

tall_martin

I gave up after one ride where something started following me.

As I picked up speed, it picked up speed I couldn’t see it, it was close, I could still hear it, I was properly going for it, and properly freaking out, I made a sharp turn and it was still on me!

It was my back wheel following me.

That was my last solo night ride, I’m too jumpy to be on my own in the dark woods 😀

See also pooping my self when rabbits startle, general feeling go weirdness when crows start cawing.

Also not forgetting the savage and flashing teeth that came hurtling out of the night once when my main light (10w cat eye lead acid jobs) had died. Shhhhhhhhhhh…. that’s a Yorkshire terrier 🤨

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

jamesoz

About 20 years ago, myself and a mate got an attempted bollocking from the leader of a group of riders. Apparently we shouldn’t have only been in a pair as it was unsafe in the wilds of Swinley forest.

nobbingsford

As I usually only ever get to go out on week nights after work, riding in darkness is very normal for a chunk of the year.

I love going round routes that I know like the back of my hand in the light: it makes them into a weird combination of familiar yet very different! I guess because you can’t see all the peripheral stuff and the general wider views, you only see the bit if the world that’s in your pool of light.

I’ve had a couple of spooks going along tree-lined paths bordering fields and hearing something stalking me behind the trees. It’s always turned out to be an inquisitive horse in the field, but when you can’t see stuff your mind can play tricks on you!

I quite like the spookiness, in a perverse kind if way!

cogwomble
    Free Member

Really didn’t like it the first few times, but now I relish it. With a good moon will often ride without lights when it’s (mostly) safe to do so. There’s nothing out there to get you.

(and I’ll keep maintaining that until the Rutland Panther mauls me to shreds)

Embrace the darkness…

I’ve been told he’s hanging around Ketton at the moment.. the panther that is.

I quite like night riding, there’s some decent if a bit sloppy bridleways and cheeky trails around here that lend well to it, and being near loads of woods and rivers, you do see a fair bit of wildlife.

I did get chased out of Jackdaw Woods in Stamford by a badger last year though.

Pyro

Love it, though there’s a couple of notorious dogging locations on one of my regular routes, so summer evenings are often enlivened by bottoms (and other things) in bushes (ahem. Oo-er missus…)

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, never give a thought to any risk really.

It’s always weird in winter when you finish riding and come out of the pitch black woods to find it’s still rush hour with everyone hurrying home.

reluctantjumper

Do it all the time, even in the summer. If I’ve got a run of night shifts with a ‘day’ off in the middle I’ll usually go out about 11ish and return back about 6am. I’ve even been known to drive from here in Cardiff up to North Wales, do a night ride then drive back in time to see everyone else going to work! Coed Y Brenin is a favourite for that as the timings work perfectly: 6pm leave home, arrive there at 9-9.30, riding by 10pm. Do a loop of the Beast, finish about 2am. Back on the road by 3, home by 6am. Did a night ascent of Snowdon once too but that was a bit stupid as there was no view and no-one knew I was up there. The run back down Rangers was fantastic though. Other adventures have been both trails at Cwmcarn then drive to Afan and do W2 too, just to avoid going home too early! FOD is good for just wandering around, plenty of wildlife to scare you and a suprising amount of locals out doing all sorts of stuff. There used to be a group of guys that worked at the Suntory factory and went out for a lap of the Freeminer’s after a shift but haven’t crossed paths with them for a while now.

Bloody love night rides.

Pretty much always see others around whenever I go out. Other riders, dog walkers, other weirdos! It’s like another separate world sometimes. It’s one of the things I’ve learned since doing the occasional night shifts, most people are completely unaware about how much goes on at night. Farmers tending to animals, street sweepers out and about, deliveries running around between hubs, it really is eye-opening!

colournoise

cogwomble
    I’ve been told he’s hanging around Ketton at the moment.. the panther that is.

If he’s in Ketton, that’s getting a bit close for comfort… he could easily amble from there to my village in an hour or so.

Sounds like our tyre tracks must have crossed once in a while (probably in Fineshade or Wakerley).

cogwomble
    Free Member

If he’s in Ketton, that’s getting a bit close for comfort… he could easily amble from there to my village in an hour or so.

Sounds like our tyre tracks must have crossed once in a while (probably in Fineshade or Wakerley).

That’s more than likely.

I’ve got a workshop in Kingscliffe and I live in Stamford so my riding tends to be close to those spots.

Not been out in a while though as I’ve mullered my shoulder.

colournoise

Ah, I live in ‘Cliffe.

Hope your shoulder is sorted soon.

kiwijohn

Very late at night.
    Full moon.
    Lights off.
    Nothing but Bandicoots & Poteroos for company.
    Just the best.

trailmonkey

Terrifying.

flyingmonkeycorps

Love it, riding and running. Makes the trails near me that are not even slightly remote feel like the middle of nowhere, until you pop out the woods and see the lights of ‘Ull arrayed in front of you.

Don’t get to do it as often as I’d like though (see the THAT ride thread) due to the local mud, and not really having the time to drive anywhere more weatherproof.

northernsoul

Love it too – it’s often the only way to fit a ride in around family life in the winter. Sharpens the senses though and gives a different perspective to otherwise familiar rides. My favourites are rides that start before dawn and include sunrise from a nice vantage point. There are a few options around me (Durham) to get into the Pennines for sunrise.

paul4stones

I’ve been running and cycling alone in the dark for long enough for it not to bother me now. Last night did feel slightly adventurous as I headed into Kielder Forest on the cross border route from Kershope back to the van knowing that phone signal would disappear too…

haggis1978

I do like a good night ride these days. Was up Glencoe last week coming down the devil’s staircase for the first time in the dark. Snow in the hills. Peace and quiet, it was magic. More bad timing than a planned night ride this one though. Always take my spot gen 3 tracker with me though just for a bit of peace of mind for the wife. Her best mates dad went walking up the Cairngorms a few years back. Didn’t tell anyone where he was going. Fell down a steep ditch/small gulley. Broke his leg and wasnt found for 3 days. By that time he had passed away. Destroyed the family. Stay safe out there folks. Always take extra layers, food, whistle and a GPS tracker and tell someone exactly where you are going and give them a map as well.

eviljoe
    Free Member

There is few things better in the world than climbing a forest fire road alone under a full moon with all your lights off

lardman
    Free Member

I love solo night riding. Such comfort in the isolation.

Is addition to the warning by @haggis1978, I’d urge some caution however. A number of years ago on a solo night ride, I managed to hit a gate which had been closed since I passed it on the outward loop of the ride. Travelling at about 20 on a nice fast downhill, I just glimpsed it in the front light with enough time to look over the top when I hit it.

I snapped the head tube of my bike and hit my chest and forearms on the gate as I flipped over the top. I came round about 20 later and was alone in the pitch black, with no lights and no prospect of help/rescue. 1hr later of dragging the remains of my bike towards civilisation with a broken arm, ribs and skull fracture I was lucky enough to meet another cyclist.

I now ride with a tracker and one of those specialized helmets which senses a crash and informs an emergency contact.

Be prepared, even if you’re only a few miles from home.

erictwinge
    Free Member

this is my problem with it too. as i work away from home, which conveniently isnt far from Surrey Hills, i am free to ride as much as i want after work every night – but solo night riding freaks me out because if i do spanner myself, not only will i be completely lost but nobody is gonna know im missing! even if i dont turn up for work the next day it would probably be 2 or 3 days before somebody started asking why!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Solo night riding’ is closed to new replies.