Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Solo night riding
  • BigJohn

I love to turn the lights off on a night with a bit of moonlight on Cannock Chase. The paths are pebblier, so they’re a bit lighter and you can ride ok. After 10 minutes or so proper night vision kicks in (I think it’s the rods taking over from the cones) and your peripheral vision becomes brighter so you think you can see lights all around you (there aren’t any).

bigdean

The only way to improve it is just after/ while snowing. That first covering thats pedalable everything seems clean and that little bit quieter.

IdleJon

I now ride with a tracker and one of those specialized helmets which senses a crash and informs an emergency contact.

Sensible advice, even if somebody knows where you are. My wife might know that I’m riding in such and such a place, but that doesn’t mean that she’d be able to find me if I didn’t return home, and even my MTBing friends who know all the tracks might struggle.

However, my gut feeling is also….. you were riding alone at night. Slow down and don’t assume that the track is clear ahead of you, you maniac! 😀 I hope you recovered fully, especially the broken skull bit.

lardman
    Free Member

@IdleJon – yes, now i’m a good bit older, i’m a little bit more cautious too. Still, riding alone at night is a great thing to do, risk be damned.

stevego
    Free Member

Ride once a week in the dark, although more dirt road/fire trail now than single track as don’t want to come a cropper on my own in the dark well away from rescue. I use a phone app called ROAD ID which is a tracker and sends a messsage out if you stop for more than 5 minutes.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

sends a messsage out if you stop for more than 5 minutes.

That rules out a pint…or a puncture repair 🧐

samunkim
    Free Member

Round my way, always end up covered in dog shit

epicyclo

idlejon
    …Slow down and don’t assume that the track is clear ahead of you, you maniac! …

Excellent advice. We found this across the track one night near the bottom of a fast descent:

IdleJon

Excellent advice. We found this across the track one night near the bottom of a fast descent:

Yeah, absolutely. We have a crash test rider who we send down first. He values speed more than safety. We value ourselves more than him. 😁

Also helps that we have a forum to post blockages, fallen trees, etc, and have good connections with the council so can clear trails quickly.

sarell
    Free Member

Amazing for the sole and to re-invent your regular route!
    Keep it up – and your phone with you just incase

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Solo night riding’ is closed to new replies.