Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Soldering cable ends arghhhh
  • Swirly
    Free Member

Soldering cable ends….like the olden days

Do all cables accept solder in your experience?

I have a Gravity Dropper post and it has cable end inside the remote which I like to keep unfrayed and able to be reinserted into cable outer for regreasing. Fitting a cable end ferrule generally results in cable fraying (slightly)and there isn’t really space in the remote.

I applied flux, gas torched, fluxed again, repeating several times and the ****tting cable wouldn’t accept solder.

Your thoughts please.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Super glue it.

tthew

That.

fadda

Teflon (or other) coating?

mick_r

Stainless steel probably not happy with the type of solder / flux you are using. Silver solder & appropriate flux definitely works. Seem to remember apprentice days where soft soldering steel needed a nasty acidic clear liquid flux.

Swirly
    Free Member

Am using a pretty nasty acidic flux. Silver solder might be a ££ step too far…

Have tried Superglue with limited success especially as the cables get greasy. Might have to degrease first.

Thanks all.

duncancallum

Got a mig welder?

Swirly
    Free Member

Got an arc welder 🙂

Sounds like a way of making cables short very quickly

goby

Heat shrink or superglue

damascus
    Free Member

Buy a different lever.

ThePinkster

Stainless steel probably not happy with the type of solder / flux you are using. Silver solder & appropriate flux definitely works.

This.^

mick_r

You got me intrigued so just had a play.

55% silver solder and powder flux mixed into a paste with water = perfect. Have to be careful not to overheat the cable as getting more than dull red kills the flux. The tiniest rod and bag of flux from ebay will last a LONG time (that 20mm long tinned end was maybe 2mm of 1.5mm rod).

Any kind of plumbing solder and flux wouldn’t look at it. Didn’t have any electrical stuff to try.

Swirly
    Free Member

Thanks Mick_r you’ve gone above and beyond

Might have to ask my long suffering dad if he has some silver solder in his man cave…

Cheers all

snotrag

I was only halfway through the original post before I decided on my response, but even though its already been said – Super Glue it.

scruff
    Free Member

I heat it up with a lighter to burn off oil/grease then superglue after its cool. Burning superglue fumes are not very nice.

fossy

Superglue here !

Swirly
    Free Member

Never thought of burning oil off first before Superglue….good tip thanks…it might’ve occurred to me eventually.

Superglue is indeed very useful stuff.

Cheers + ride safe

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Soldering cable ends arghhhh’ is closed to new replies.