Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Sold Wrong Size Bike
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

My brothers just purchased a new cyclocross bike in size 52. He tried the bike in store on the cycle trainer and both members of staff with him said the size seemed a good fit.

My brother having a limited knowledge of road bikes relied on the staff members experience and purchased the bike. He has just realised that he has been sold the smallest size of the range available and should have purchased a size 56 at least.

He is 5’10, maybe slightly taller so should never have been sold a 52.

The store in question is very good and I have purchased bikes from them in the past, always very helpful and know what they’re talking about.

What are peoples thoughts on this, quick / easy sale maybe or is that unfair?

scotroutes

Has he ridden it yet? If not, just take it back, explain the situation and let the shop take care of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m over 6′ and have a 52cm Ridley crossbow. All my measurements taken, and that’s what Ridley themselves came up with, and I’ve been riding it for four years now.

All bike sizes are not the same.

taxi25
    Free Member

Seems strange. Maybe a silly question but does the bike actually fit him ? Comfortable, seat hight reach all that stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just take it back if he is not happy. Did he not test ride it?

I’m 5’7″ and ride a 52cm Croix De Fer.

HTH.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Other than a small loop around the car park and straight into the van home, no.

He’ll be taking it back in the morning.

It would be the same as me buying a 14′” MTB frame when I know I’m a 17″/18″ or Medium.

Jamie
    Free Member

Out of interest, what bike?

dknwhy

For starters, people usually size down for a cross bike and at 5’10 he’d be looking at a 54-56 in a road frame but more likely a 54. I’m a shade under 5’10 and have always had 54cm road bikes.
    I tried a 52 and 54 cross bike and preferred a 54 but that’s on a Boardman which has similar geometry to a road frame. How are you so certain that the shop is wrong?

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 Take it back and explain and try out a bigger size.
    If he knows nothing about road bikes how does he now know it’s too small when he didn’t in the shop or car park?
    I’m 5ft 9in and got the smallest size Boardman CX bike in the range and changed to a shorter stem and non layback seat post.The comparison to MTBs is not really relevant IMHO.

Daffy

What’s the bike? The rest of us may be able to advise if we know what it is.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

We’re pretty much the same height, he’s maybe a shade taller but with a longer inside leg.

I’d go for at least a 54, possibly the 56. 52 is generally recommended for 5’5″ – 5’7″.

I’m quite confident they’ve sold him the wrong size.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m quite confident they’ve sold him he bought the wrong size.

iolo
    Free Member

Do tell him not ride it tomorrow and take it back

benmotogp46
    Free Member

It’s an Orange RX9.

Sold / bought? What difference does it make? It’s not the right size….

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s an Orange RX9

Even if it’s not too small, he want’s to take it back cuz itz crap, apparently.

…incidentally, in that test linked, the rider is 5’11” riding a 56cm.

Edit: £1.1k for Tiagra shifters and BB5s? Ooof!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Where was it from?

psling
    Free Member

Is it to be used as a road bike or as an off-road bike? As others above, I’m 6ft and ride a 54 CX bike off road. But, I have another CX bike as a light-tourer which is a 57cm. Both fit me (for the purposes they’re used for).

benmotogp46
    Free Member

That’s why I haven’t mentioned the bike. The topic goes off subject as soon as Orange is mentioned.

It’s a lovely bike, I’d have one.

qwerty
    Free Member

To muddy the puddle my 49cm Jake The Snake has a 53cm top tube.

kcal

Did he try other sizes? i.e. was the ’54’ too stretched?

depends also what he’s going to be using it for, road bike, cyclocross, tourer..

singlecrack
    Free Member

Tbh ..I’m 5’10 and normally ride a 54 road bike …but if it was a cross bike I would go a size smaller

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Reply from Orange. They recommend either a 54 or 56.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not all bikes are measured in the same way , but just go back and have a chat.

What does the top tube measure on a 52 orange

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long are his legs and his arms and his torso, how does he look on the bike? To make a call from 2 numbers is ambitious.

Going to be one of those days in the shop…

That bike I bought yesterday that we fitted up in the shop.
    Yeah
    I’m bringing it back cause my brother who hasn’t seen me on it reckons it’s too small
    OK then…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m quite confident they’ve sold him he bought the wrong size.

Nope. Shops fault. I’ve actually done it myself. Spent ages discussing hybrids with this old boy and comparing sizes with his old Raleigh. It was 50/50 with the sizes. He went away with a bike and came back the next day and asked for a s smaller one. My fault IMO, so we swapped it for him. Any decent shop should do exactly the same if it’s undamaged.

shotsaway
    Free Member

Not all bikes are measured in the same way , but just go back and have a chat.

What does the top tube measure on a 52 orange

TT = 525
    ETT = 540

Jamie
    Free Member

Just take it back.

…oh, and tell the shop I will have the the 52cm off them for £500…second hand and all that 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d say looking at that spec £500 new would’ve been closer to the money..

tom200

It might fit, I’m 6″1 and can’t get anything bigger than a 54 to fit. Tell the shop you think it’s too small and get them to do a proper fit foc.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Cross bike sizing can be all over the place. I ride a 56cm road bike, previously had a 54cm guerciotti cross bike for racing and now ride a 52cm cross check. It’s all about the top tube length. If it fits right, don’t get hung up on the numbers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cross bike sizing can be all over the place. I ride a 56cm road bike, previously had a 54cm guerciotti cross bike for racing and now ride a 52cm cross check. It’s all about the top tube length. If it fits right, don’t get hung up on the numbers.

This.

Jamie
    Free Member

now ride a 52cm cross check.

Interesting. How tall are you? I was looking at the Straggler frames, and figured I would be after a 50cm. Might be a 46cm if they size down like that.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i’m 5’10” (ish) but with short legs and a long back. Be sure to check the top tube lengths as the surlys seemed to have a longer top tube than seat tube measurement – something to do with how they measure them. I think the 52 cross check has a 54cm top tube, whereas a traditional 54 cross bike has a 54 tt.

FWIW, i really like my cross check, even though it weighs a ton.

Jamie
    Free Member

but with short legs and a long back.

Looking at the geo, the 50cm will probably be reet, as my CDF is 538 tt.

The weight doesn’t really put me off, but the silly short headtubes do. I think they must have shares in the companies that make spacers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

That bike I bought yesterday that we fitted up in the shop.
    Yeah
    I’m bringing it back cause my brother who hasn’t seen me on it and knows nothing about rebadged heavy cross bikes straight out of a Taiwanese builders catalogue with a hefty mark-up for the doe-eyed MTB market reckons it’s too small
    OK then…

FTFY.

gogg
    Free Member

Mr Smith, nail on the head.

daftvader
    Free Member

Probably wont help but…. I’m 6foot and have a cannondale synapse in a 56, cannondale caadx in a 54. The 56 was far too big in the caadx but next to the synapse is almost identically sized….

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

watching the E3 harelbeke belgian cobbly road race yesterday the commentators mentioned that someone was on a CX style (in fit at least i think) bike – smaller with a massive seatpin – i wasn’t particularly paying attention, but what’s the reasoning behind it? just more maneuverable?

lightning
    Free Member

It seems from the various answers, that the bike may or may not be too small.

Some people who are taller than the O/P’s brother are riding that size frame.

It’s not difficult to work out the correct size bike if you know what you are doing, so if the shop is a good one, why would they sell him a bike that was too small?

I would call the shop and voice my concerns. They will most likely tell you how they came to fit him on the 52.
    Then you can discuss their decision.

But the guy might want to ride the bike further than round the car park before rejecting it for a larger size. See if the shop will allow this, and still replace it if required.

aP
    Free Member

This is of absolutely no help at all, but I ride 565 tt road bikes and 550 tt cx bikes and I’m 5’8″.
    Both of those include frames built specifically for me as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Sold Wrong Size Bike’ is closed to new replies.