Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Solaris or Anthem X 29er?
  • w1lksy
    Free Member

Was wondering what all the fuss was about with 29ers, so have been thinking about building one up from a frameset.

Started off thinking I would build a Cotic Solaris but have just been offered a Giant Anthem x 29er frameset at a good price.

Mainly ride North York Moors and Dalby Red Route (due to family constraints!) I try to ride reasonably fast, but no massive jumps or drop offs.
    Opinions please.
    Thanks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Of those, I have only ridden the Solaris. It is certainly a very pleasing bike.

JamesD
    Free Member

I have both of those bikes. Both ace so it really depends whether you want a hardtail or a full-sus.

Even though my Anthem has been lightened up for day-to-day use, I just couldn’t be without the Solaris.

scottalej
    Free Member

Could be selling my Solaris frame shortly. It’s the green one in a large. I fancy a 29+ Surly Krampus next.

danti

Having not ridden I can’t comment on the Anthem but you aren’t really comparing like with like.

Also it may depend what you’re coming from to compare it against – having come from a 26″ hardtail the effect of bigger wheels almost feels like having a short travel full susser, IMHO.

Having had a Solaris now for a few months I don’t think you’d be disappointed with buying a frame, they’re a blast! 🙂

Less maintenance and probably weight than an Anthem as well 😉

emac65
    Free Member

It’s a whether you want a FS or H/tail question really…

Wouldn’t worry about maintenance issues with an Anthem as the maestro suspension seems to cope pretty well with our winters…My 6 year old Trance has had one set of bearings up to yet(not sure it needed them tbh)despite being used through every winter,well up until I bought the Anthem last year…

w1lksy
    Free Member

Scottaleg. That would have been spot on it it was a medium as I was eying up the green one.

Usually ride a Pace 405 around Dalby Red, but have been around the same route on my cross bike taking 20 minutes longer. Did get rather battered on the cross bike, mainly due to the rigid forks, so that was why I was initially looking at a Solaris to give me a bit of comfort at the front end.

Then got offered the Anthem which has now given me this dilemma!

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I have a Solaris and a Trance 29er. Love both, you wouldn’t go far wrong with either of them. The Solaris gets much more use during the winter months. Surprising how capable the Cotic is on the technical stuff, even with a 100mm fork.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Love my Solaris, as above you won’t be disappointed.

Can’t comment on the Giant.

ryderredman
    Free Member

scottalej – Member
    Could be selling my Solaris frame shortly. It’s the green one in a large. I fancy a 29+ Surly Krampus next.

Interestingly, how tall are you?

stoddys
    Free Member

So if you choose not to have the anthem, I’ve been looking for one for a wile, Is it a small or medium?
    Share the luck.
    Having said this my vote goes for building the anthem.

w1lksy
    Free Member

Ryderredman,

I’m 5′ 10″

w1lksy
    Free Member

Ryderredman,
    Just re-read this thread and realised your question was aimed at scottaleg. Doh!
    I’m obviously suffering from brain fade, so just ignore me!

scottalej
    Free Member

I’m just under 5’11” on the large Solaris. I run a short 50mm stem.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Solaris or Anthem X 29er?’ is closed to new replies.