Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Solaris Max
  • NormalMan
    metalheart
    Free Member

My order went in last night 😆

Delivery week Friday!

drapper
    Free Member

I did a little man wee

rOcKeTdOg

black and orange looks ace

prawny

Looks v nice, but I think I’d rather have the Carbon Transmitter for that money.

superstu
    Free Member

Nice, but fairly expensive in my mind. Not to say it’s not value for money but for my tastes a little pricey frame only. Having said that similar to others so maybe I’m just tight. Cotic do seem to be in the top of their game at the moment.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nice, but fairly expensive in my mind

I thought that, then decided the price was as expected if I add the 20% the £ dropped in the past year

MoreCashThanDash

Black and orange looks gorgeous. Would look great next to my Mk1 Soul. Could have Cotics in 26, 27.5+ and 29er flavours with two frames and 3 sets of wheels…..

*Heads out to buy lottery ticket*

prawny

I’d like brands like Cotic and Stanton (and Orange to an extent) to bargain basement(ish) builds, but I guess it would devalue the brand a bit, and might not be possible for a business of their size.

You know the sort NX/Deore Group, basic but serviceable fork (sektor silver or similar) and budget finishing kit.

If you could get a complete basic but upgradable hardtail for a grand I’d probably snatch their hand off.

vincienup
    Free Member

I was seeing a rant on FB this morning by the owner of an Orange Alpine 160 in relation to the price of a new Orange. He was having issues reconciling his blinded out Hope and Renthal build of a couple of years ago (just the wrong side of 3.5k) with the price of an LE Orange.

Forget what, but £7k was being tossed about. Just had a quick peep at Orange’s site and can’t see what that might have been – Stage 6 LE seems to be around 5.5k. Cotic’s are generally quite reasonably priced IMO. It would be missing the point to expect off the peg OnOne style builds, although there’s nothing to stop you whacking a Deore build with Sektor together after you buy the frame, if that’s what you want to hit a price.

prawny

I agree to an extent, but without the economies of scale a proper business could provide I’d struggle to hit a grand (then buy the right tools to put the thing together)

They’re not a volume business though really are they, I should stop moaning and pony up if I want something decent.

Although Orange really need to have a look at themselves, £1600 for their cheapest mass produced alu hardtail?

kelvin

SantaCruz, Orange, Cotic etc have much the same starting price for fully built hardtails… I’m sure they could all start slightly lower by downgrading forks and groupset, but they’d never hit the figure you’re talking about Prawny, it’s just not realistic. The big big big players like Giant, Spec and Trek can hit that price point, or brands only selling direct with no dealers, if that’s the way you want to go. All depends on whether you want a frame form SantaCruz/Orange/Cotic etc…

metalheart
    Free Member

@kelvin: did you ever get my email or PM?

kelvin

Literally just emailed you!

metalheart
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll respond 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

Another boost back end. It may limit those who (like me) might have wanted to use existing wheels.
    And yes, I know there are solutions for making an existing wheel boost compatable but none are particularly satisfactory for my wheelset
    Nice though

Clink

Anyone know if there are 2 sets of mounts on the new frame?

metalheart
    Free Member

Don’t think so, just Boost…

Clink

That’s a pita. What’s the point of a xc frame with only one set of bottle mounts?

metalheart
    Free Member

Sorry, misread original post clink, but only one set of mounts that I know of, plus they’re still in the middle of the downtube…

I think stealth droppers have become more important, sigh.

kelvin

Cotic dropped (pun intended) seat tube bottle bosses years ago, so that people can get their seat down & out of the way.

Clink

Fair enough but not everybody runs a dropper or drops their seat. All day marathons or xc for example (which according to the blurb the Solaris is also good at).

core

I’ve got a mk2 solaris, only one set of bottle cage mounts, and the height up the downtube is annoying, interferes with frame bag. Most dropper posts should surely allow for a low down boss on the seat tube, though some people still slam a normal post I guess.

I’m using my solaris for xc, not ‘trail’ riding, but I think the time may have come for them to do two 29ers, one xc/bikepacking machine for 100mm forks, lots of bosses and mounts and possibly a bit lighter, and a 120-140mm trail machine. I’d say it’s compromised at both at the moment.

benp1

I’ve got elite bottle cage mounts, DMR ones available too, on my Mk1 Solaris so I can run two bottles for bikepacking

funkmasterp

That orange and black combo is lovely. If I could afford I’d have a Flare, Solaris and Escapade. Would cover all the riding I’d like to do.

wiggles
    Free Member

Like the look of it and sort of half looking for a new frame but would be a backwards step in geometry for me…

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I think the new graphics look rank.

If they did an orange, green and blue with the black/white or white/black decals they’d sell through them much quicker. I’d have a green one.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

In fact if they did the purple or translucent red with black/white (or vice versa) decals I’d have either of them too.

letmetalktomark

I loved my 26″ Soul, wasn’t inamered with my Solaris, bought a Sherpa.

Love my Sherpa but it’s not very long, Solaris Max is longer but it’s 148mm, Sherpa V2 is 142mm or 148mm

Why are things so complicated 😆

The black and orange looks fab.

jekkyl

no black Cotics since the MkII Soul and now two at once!
    yes I agree the Boost bs is annoying. Road bike standards do not suffer such changes.

ads678

Massively underwhelmed, I was looking forward to the new Solaris but I don’t want boost!!
    I’ll reserve judgement in the colour schemes until there are actual photos as well.

chevychase

Yep. I’ll second the underwhelmed feeling. Been waiting for ages for the new solaris (owned a mk2 but thievery) as a trail/bikepacking rig but unlike most I’m not at all excited by the colour schemes (though I’ll wait for pics) and I’m disappointed by the lack of cage mounts (though that’s not the biggest problem all said and done).

That and the price. You can grab a full carbon Santa Bruise 29er with better kit for less. (or a decent second hand car – but that’s bikes all over nowadays).

Love steel and cotic tho. Just feel a bit *meh* 🙁

Edit: Happy with boost tho. Stiffer wheels on a 29er is good.

Edit edit: Karate Monkey may have jumped to the front of the queue again tho 🙁

boxelder

Black and aqua for me. Boostinators on my Hope Evo wheels and we’re away.

I think the time may have come for them to do two 29ers, one xc/bikepacking machine for 100mm forks, lots of bosses and mounts and possibly a bit lighter,

Here you go

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cotic fan here but lost interest in the email when Cy got onto various “standards”. Just so bl00dy complicated

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Another boost back end. It may limit those who (like me) might have wanted to use existing wheels.
    And yes, I know there are solutions for making an existing wheel boost compatable but none are particularly satisfactory for my wheelset
    Nice though

The ‘old’ solaris takes 27×2.8″ tyres and has normal hubs.

The new solaris takes 27×3.0″ tyres and has boost hubs.

So it’s not like they’ve done it for no reason.

Ok so the need for 27×3 tyres is a different matter, but it’s presumably what new customers are after. Cotic made a big deal about 26″ ain’t dead, and how they were going to continue to supply frames for that market (people who already had wheels). Before dropping it like a stone when presumably people didn’t buy them so the upgrade market maybe isn’t as big as they thought.

NormalMan

Cotic made a big deal about 26″ ain’t dead, and how they were going to continue to supply frames for that market (people who already had wheels). Before dropping it like a stone when presumably people didn’t buy them so the upgrade market maybe isn’t as big as they thought.

Looking at the homepage, I wouldn’t say dropped like a stone:

http://www.cotic.co.uk

metalheart
    Free Member

I’d agree that this new model isn’t perfect (I had a go at Cy to try and get the bottle bosses dropped for frame bag clearance for instance) but the way things are going people want clearance for up to 3″ tyre clearance on the back. The industry seems set to go down the Boost road at present (and at least it’s appropriate for,both 29ers and B+ so there’s reason to). I’m sure Cy’s done his homework and has reasoned it out and ultimately it’s his gig, if he’s wrong it him that pays the price.

There is a continual ‘if only Cotic did a 26″ soul….” Except that I think they struggled to sell the last batch so that’s why they don’t make them now. The soda struggled to sell out a limited run (they ended up flogging off the last couple at a significant reduction) and it’s completely disappeared. Sentiment doesn’t pay the wages and he’s 7 sets to pay these days. The initial updated BFe small run sold out, hence why they’ve done a second. But I’d say there’s a limited market for even that.

jim1970

I was excited when I first heard this announcement. I couldn’t buy an XL frame at the end of last year so was waiting for new ones. I had written to Cotic to say how much I liked the Fast Red colour of one of their other frames and would love it if the next Solaris had it. Then I see black and champagne. I’ve already got a black Soul and the champagne looks the same colour as a Claude Butler my wife had in the nineties. I know it shouldn’t matter that much but I think it’s put me off getting one altogether.

metalheart
    Free Member

Not a fan of the Champagne either. Apparently it’s really difficult to photograph properly (I think the escapade is available in this colour?) I thought it might be a bit more like my Klein Attitude Race from years back…. But black will tape up more stealth and that suits me for bikepacking….

scotroutes

FWIW I like both the black course schemes (I’d buy the orange). The champagne is just anonymous, which will attract as many buyers as it repels.

For all the “if only”s, I’ve seen/heard it all before. These are the folk who are never likely to buy one anyway but just want something to moan about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Solaris Max’ is closed to new replies.