Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • So you think you’re good at riding a bike UP hill?
  • nbt

Do you? I know I’m not – I’ll do my damndest to get as far up as I can without dabbing, but I’m no competition winner.

This kid though….

And road biking, that must be easier, right, as it’s not as steep / loose / rocky? Well there’s always someone who’ll show you how it’s supposed to be done. Best guess, I think this is like the roadie equivalent of the Red Bull Fox Hunt where the folks in yellow get a head start and the pros then have to chase them down. Or up, in this case

desperatebicycle

Bunch of show-offs!

augustuswindsock

Jeez, that kid is phenomenal – future world/Olympic champion!
    Roadies were impressive too!

ads678

Yeah, wait til that kids has a body the same shape as mine….

easily
    Free Member

How depressing to be one of those yellow cyclists and see those guys tear pst you like that. I think I’d stomp home in a huff.

crazy-legs

Holy shit, that kid is amazing!

The roadie stuff, you sort of know / expect the pros to be on another level although it’s always good to see it in action.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Second video is great. First one is just brilliant.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wee Shite!

franksinatra

Proper old school skills on display with that kid. Feathering weight, track stand, hops and talent. Proper biking and great to see.

Those roadies though. Fair enough being that quick but do they really have to be grinning as they are doing it?

DrP

Bloody (we)E bikers…
    Cheating

DrP

matt_outandabout

By ‘eck.

5lab

I’m quicker than most of my mates up a hill, but on the local (road) hill the KOM is <4 minutes vs 5.25 for me. That level of power is just crazy

steve_b77
    Free Member

Those there roadies, that gentlemen is a true 5.5 to 6.5W/kg in action for a sustained period of time.

That’s not a kid, it’s just anyone of the tiny Columbian world tour pros with a skate lid on 😉

funkrodent

On the basis that if it looks steep on video then it’s seriously, seriously steep, that kid is the beans. Reckon I’d rearrange my nuts on the stem through sudden loss of rear wheel traction within the first couple of feet

ajantom

I’m still proud of coming second in the mass start, uphill race that Charlie did as part of his SSUK in Dorset.
    That kid would’ve beaten me though 😆

stevious

How depressing to be one of those yellow cyclists and see those guys tear pst you like that. I think I’d stomp home in a huff.

I, on the other hand would love to witness some sportspeople at the pinnacle of their ability fly past in absolute beast mode. I mean, it’s not as if I’d be racing them.

tall_martin

Great videos!

One summer I watched Lance Armstrong go up an alp faster than I could ride to work, on the flat. I was doing 10 miles each way at the time. He was toward the end of the mountain stages and had done over 100 miles ( at a similar speed) that day

Drugs or not, that made quite the impression on me! There is no way I’m ever going up a hill as fast as the slowest pro. Drugs, training plans a load of miles, it’s just not happening!

Nice to see even keen roadies suffer the same fate in that second video!

bruneep

#noshameinpushing

nbt

Oops. Sergio Higuita has been fired for riding the wrong bike in the video

Sergio Higuita has been fired for riding the wrong bike

To be fair, he’d already signed for Bora-Hansgrohe for next season and was riding the bike he’ll be on next year, but still, attention to detail… (there’s also a bit more detail about the event – it was the Giro de Rigo Gran Fondo organised by Rigoberto Uran)

thols2

As good as your advice is, steveear, I don’t think that’s what’s been holding me back on climbs.

chaos

Anyone tried the 199 steps in Whitby?

We had a family holiday there a couple of years ago and a local lad turned up to show off his skillz whipping up it.  I couldn’t believe he even retained any traction let alone at full pelt out of the saddle.  Must be at least 20% gradient and it was damp at the time on those cobbles.

Whitby steps

nbt

I though for a moment you meant up the steps! I’d have a go up the cobbles but not sure how far I’d get

desperatebicycle

As that video demonstrates, riding down steps is just.. well, a bit crap.

(unless of course, you’re Danny Mac trying to destroy some carbon wheels)

funkmasterp

Somebody should give that kid a Trek Full Stache just to see if he can get up a vertical surface

Macgyver

Seem to recall that the time I descended Sa Calobra wasn’t that much quicker than the pros go up it😯. It truly is another level – and then some!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘So you think you’re good at riding a bike UP hill?’ is closed to new replies.