Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • So who’s going to Glastonbury 2020? (…on iPlayer)
  • goldfish24

I’ve just warmed up with nick cave circa 1998 and now I’ve picked as my own personal headliner Killers from 2004 (slightly guilty pleasure but gotta love Vannuci on drums), shortly after their debut album. I’ve notified My sis to get over to kylie and dad to go see the XX in 2017.

Top notch selection of content on the iPlayer, older and newer. Who’s your headliner tonight?

whatgoesup

Foo Fighters from 2017 playing here !

jree
    Free Member

Listened to jeff Buckley, arctic monkeys and Michael Kiwanuka today. All marvellous!

goldfish24

Cripes, Jeff Buckley is on? *cancels the killers*

There’s more content than meets the eye, the initial menu looks ok but then keep picking up more artists as iPlayer recommends after watching one.

Edit: have you been on the glasto scrumpy? I can only find Jeff bloody Lynne

verses

Jeff Buckley is on BBC Sounds, not iPlayer (as far as I can tell)

theotherjonv

Primal Scream doing Screamadelica (2011)

peteimpreza

Underworld now Foo Fighters tomorrow

Let the dad dancing commence

✌🏾😎🕺

goldfish24

Jeff Buckley is on BBC Sounds, not iPlayer (as far as I can tell)

Ah so there’s even more on sounds, nice thanks for the tip all

BigJohn

I presume this means 6 Music will be unlistenable for the next few days. Churning out badly played versions of songs we used to like.

riklegge

Hoping to catch up with Chemical Brothers (I think sets from 2000 and 2019) at some point.

cobrakai

Black keys 2014

surfer
    Free Member

I presume this means 6 Music will be unlistenable for the next few days. Churning out badly played versions of songs we used to like.

Actually really good last night 🙂

Moe

Ordered fish n chips and watched Lucas Nelson, bit of Georgia and then the Killers. 😊

pondo

Bloody hell, Foos were great, hey? 🙂 Mrs Pondo made us try Mumford And Sons – I like em, but they’re not one for the big stage…

Couldn’t see Coldplay’s set from…. 2016, was it? Love that set. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Live music doesn’t work on telly for me, but I am watching Julien Temple’s Glastonbury film.
    Nicely shows how it’s gone from hippies in flowers to chavs in football shirts.

Would’ve been a festival of sunstroke if it had gone ahead this year!

the-muffin-man

Foo’s – great 15 years ago, but ‘shouty rock’ becoming rather tired now. Or I’m getting old!

All sounds the same to me – now when I were a lad it was all Maiden and Saxon! 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

Live music doesn’t work on telly for me, but I am watching Julien Temple’s Glastonbury film.
    Nicely shows how it’s gone from hippies in flowers to chavs in football shirts.

Would’ve been a festival of sunstroke if it had gone ahead this year!

Very good watch was that. First thing i’ve watched in a while where i didn’t lose interest.

It’s changed beyond all recognition, I would imagine a great many of the people who go now don’t even know it’s background.

llama

One of the best times I’ve ever had watching a band was LCD Soundsystem in 2016. All the boring people being at Coldplay helped 🙂

llama

Actually the stuff put out by the BBC so far has been really good.

We didn’t get tickets this year so it is nice to not have so much of that ‘wish we were there’ feeling, at least not until next year. We are doing a virtual Glasto day tomorrow, kids are camping in the garden and us in the camper on the drive. Thinking about a bacon sarnie and pint of cider for breakfast 😉

I watched a bit of the film last night. I have not seen it before. It captures the atmosphere pretty well, better than other docs I’ve seen.

llama

It’s changed beyond all recognition, I would imagine a great many of the people who go now don’t even know it’s background

Yes when I went the first time I had no idea of the background, and the place was tiny in comparison then. We camped nicely out of the way in the field which is now the other stage. It took me a few visits to start digging deeper and exploring.

You can argue that it is not what it was, and there is something in that, but still there is not another festival like it. We started taking the kids when they were 9/10, now they are in their 20s. If we were there with them this weekend we would all meet up and see some stuff together. I expect to be doing the same thing when I’m a Grandad. You can’t say that about many music festivals. It’s been said before, it’s like there is a giant elastic band attaching you to the place. You can get away for a bit, but it’s going to pull you back.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I must check if Stormzy’s set is being shown. One of the greatest Pyramid Stage performances in more recent years. And one of the times I really wished I’d been there.

lewzz10
    Free Member

Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Foos, Foals and Royal Blood so far. Pretty good idea from the BBC, half the sets aren’t available on YouTube etc normally.

Ambrose

Loved the film. I’ve never been but have wanted to forever. Work commitments make it difficult- I’m a teacher so can only do Friday night, Sat and Sunday. I want the whole experience though, turning up on Tuesday and then staying through as late as I can.

Just watching the last number from Sam Smith/ Disclosure. Jon Hopkins next, Faithless at some stage, Chemical Bros too, maybe as a highlight, dunno.

No 1 Son was meant to be running a stage there again this year so he’s pretty gutted at the moment. Instead he will be disinfecting trolleys for Tescos. There’s not a whole load of work going around in the Live Sound business at the moment.

But sooner or later there will be, won’t there? Please.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Hot Chip are well worth a watch, more Dad dancing!

ElShalimo

Currently watching Black Keys with a Bowmore in hand

Happy days,!!

fingerbang
    Free Member

Just watched Arthur Lee from 2003. Fantastic. He just gave the audience what they wanted :Forever Changes pretty much in sequence and then 7 &7is. F in brilliant, don’t need to watch anything else

kimbers

We’ve watched a few sets, enjoying Royal Blood at the moment

My first one was 2000, that was an eye opener! After the wall went up it was never the same, way more hygienic, safer & cleaner , but it definitely list some of its edge

I think the last one we did was 2004, macartney traumatized me so much we never went back – we did Sziget festival in Budapest instead , cheaper, better weather , 5 days…..

One day we’ll go back, but as I no longer get high, not sure what it’ll be like

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just watched Arthur Lee from 2003. Fantastic. He just gave the audience what they wanted :Forever Changes pretty much in sequence and then 7 &7is. F in brilliant, don’t need to watch anything else

Was there for that set, did feel pretty amazing to be watching an absolute legend. Sigur Ros were the highlight for me that year, one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Keep meaning to go back but not made it since, one day…

RichPenny
    Free Member

One day we’ll go back, but as I no longer get high, not sure what it’ll be like

Obviously it’ll still be amazing, first two years I went were basically a 5 day endurance event, 2003 was pretty much sober and looking back I got just as much out of it.

darksideby182

Just watching Bloc Party from 2009 bloody excellent.

ElShalimo

Hot Chip were very good.

Sat watching The Cure from last year. Excellent!!

StuE
    Free Member

Nick Cave 2013,I love Nick Cave

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just watched Arthur Lee from 2003. Fantastic

I wasn’t going to bother ‘going’ but you’ve changed my mind. Just going to make wristband out of a Fat bike innertube to get in the mood. Thanks for the reminder.

Beagleboy

The music at Glastonbury was always 2nd place for me. I went from 1993-98, when I gave up because it was getting way too dickish. Joolz Denby’s performances will always strike me as the best of Glastonbury, although special mention must go out to a bunch of guys who performed in boxing boots, boxing gloves and tutu’s as the Ballet Hooligans and a London Collective called the Weapons of Sound who made the most amazing music out of metal bins and pipes. Still saw some amazing bands, but I kept getting drawn away by the side shows!

Would I go again though?….naw. I like pooping in a clean toilet nowadays.

johndoh
    Free Member

I like pooping in a clean toilet nowadays.

Of all my Glastonbury memories, dirty toilets have never figured. I mean, five nights, that’s just five sit-downs – no big deal.

Re the BBC coverage – hated that they had different Coldplay sets on at the same time on different channels (I detest that band), Bowie was crap but Amy Winehouse was superb.

markrh
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Bowie’s set, voice seemed pretty good considering the lifestye he’d had. Not everyones cup of tea I guess.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not everyones cup of tea I guess.

I love Bowie, I just didn’t enjoy the set – it was just a bit mleh.

theotherjonv

Pulp 1995 – not bad for a last minute stand in.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Taken from my Brother’s facemuck page. Not his quote but he is currently unsure what the future holds as many others are:

“Maybe when you are watching Glastonbury on the TV this year have a thought for all the 1000’s of crew that work their asses off to put those festivals on each year and are currently unemployed with no idea when they are going back to work and have zero support from the government right now. #WeMakeEvents ”

johndoh
    Free Member

Pulp 1995 – not bad for a last minute stand in.

I was really fortunate to see them that year too – headlining the free Leeds Heineken Festival. Back then they were relatively unknown but just starting to get popular (Different Class hadn’t yet been released in the summer). Seen them several times since including a great gig in the middle of Dalby Forest 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘So who’s going to Glastonbury 2020? (…on iPlayer)’ is closed to new replies.