Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • So, who else is a disappointment to their mother-in-law?
  • oldnpastit

I’m sure she loves me, but secretly, I’m a disappointment. Her daughter could have done better.

Her brother-in-law is a medical physicist. If only I had been a medical physicist, I could have achieved so much more, like him.

They’ve got a load of fantastic holidays lined up for this year, starting in Mallorca. We have a weekend planned in Swansea for my son’s graduation.

Her husband, I just heard, bought himself a book on marriage, every year, for the first twenty years of their marriage. I have never bought a book on marriage.

He did actually buy me a book on being a dad after the birth of my first son. The first chapter made me feel so inadequate, ill-prepared, and utterly unsuited to anything involving parenthood that I gave up reading it – it was either that, or give up being a parent.

I could go on, but I think it’s best to stop right there.

I should say that my wife does not share this opinion.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I should say that my wife does not share this opinion.

That’s all that matters surely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My mother in law is awesome, a gem of a woman, and we get on brilliantly. She comes over on a Thursday to get My daughter from school, and I always look forward to seeing her. 😊

SaxonRider

I think I am, but it’s because I am not content to sit on my arse all day talking about the coffee, or how gluten and/or lactose intolerant I am trying to be.

mashr

WTF is a book about marriage and why the **** would you need one (unless your marriage is basically screwed anyway)?

poah
    Free Member

They may be onto something. You’re on a bike forum bitching about them lol

oldnpastit

WTF is a book about marriage and why the **** would you need one (unless your marriage is basically screwed anyway)?

You know how there’s a market for mountain bike skills courses, and endless GMBN YouTube videos and threads on here about how to bunny-hop? Even though some people can just do it without even trying? Well, that. Apparently. I guess.

:shrug:

oldnpastit

Busted!!!!

Drac

No, mine thinks the sun shines out of my arse according to my wife.

ton

my mother in law is fantastic. we get on very well.
    my mother is a vile hateful lying cow.

squealer
    Free Member

I reversed into my mother in laws car yesterday in my California, putting a great big hole in her bumper and a huge dent in my tailgate. To make it worse, this was all done on my drive!

I think up until that point I wasn’t a disappointment.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m more of a disappointment to my own parents

anagallis_arvensis

I would be if we got married but we never have.

mboy
    Free Member

My GF’s mum digests the Daily Mail every day. It is her Bible… I’m not so much a disappointment to her as I am the Anti-Christ!

ads678

My MIL has known me since I was 17. When she met me I had left school with no qualifications, was a drummer in a band, had recently been sacked from Sainsbury’s and was selling socks on a market stall.

I reckon she’s pretty happy that I am now a 43 year old civil engineer! She does my head in sometimes but shes a great really and we’d be screwed without her.

martymac

My MIL thinks I’m great, mainly because I make her only daughter happy.

Merak

I reversed into my mother in laws car yesterday in my California

What’s a California?

sockpuppet

a book about marriage and why the **** would you need one twenty

frankconway

Ex MiL is dead; best thing that ever happened to her.
    Don’t know what she thought of me.

funkmasterp

I think I’m a disappointment to everyone I know / am related to apart from the ones that value consistency as a character trait.

duncancallum

I’m no sure I’m sure they’re just perplexed by me

taxi25
    Free Member

My MIl used to think I was wonderful, largely for taking Mrs taxi of her hands which freed up a badly needed bedroom for them. 😂

RustySpanner

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/blackadder/images/5/51/Blackadder_2_nursie.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20110813132225

Nope.

Mad as a hatter, away with the fairies and an absolute star.
    No actual illness or impairment, just genuinely, delightfully odd.

Think a slightly less inhibited Miryam Margolyes and your about there.

Orgasms at 80 were discussed along with guitars and GQT.

scuttler

What’s a California

The daddy of all builders vans or an expensive red Italian sportscar. This is STW so I’ll go for the former (Declaration; Cali owner here)

EDIT my MIL was a complete diamond AND she thought i was brill. Gone now though 😢

TiRed

Mine is in her 70’s and still has red hair. Needless to say my wife has olive skin and brown hair and eyes. And I do not (note name). There has been more than one occasion where she has politely stated “No, this is my daughter”. I think she likes me still, even after 26 years.

reluctantjumper

Never married (no plans to either!) but when I was closest to doing so but split up with the lady in question her mum was distraught I wasn’t going to be her son-in-law!

When I bumped into them both a few years ago she even made a point of mentioning I’d have been a better son-in-law than her actual one. He was stood behind them and just rolled his eyes and sighed 🤣

choppersquad
    Free Member

My MIL told my sister in law that I was a massive disappointment to them and then she passed this message on to me.
    I couldn’t care less though because I can’t stand the woman.

hodgynd
    Free Member

The only opinions in this life that are important to me are what my missus( I call her that even though we aren’t married ) ..my daughter and son have of me ..thankfully they seem to love me.
    I think my partners mam has always liked me ..but has trouble remembering me ( worsening dementia )..which is incredibly sad..

jonm81

Yep, I am a dissapointment to the MIL.

According to her I am controlling of my wife which couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Two examples she states are I wanted to get married in a church (the only thing I asked for on our entire wedding day).

It’s also my fault I then moved the family 130 miles away to Dorset after being made redundent and finding a job here. The fact my wife and kids love it here and have said they would never move back to Kent is lost on her.

Literaly everything I say or do is heavily critisised so now I just avoid any contact where possible.

The worst bit is that she spouts the bile about me being controlling to all her friends and family which leaves me feeling terrible because it is utter lies. Also, what must she think of her daughter if she believes that my wife has no mind of her own and just does what I say?!

I love my wife and kids and they love me so the rest can just **** off as far as I’m concerned.

nbt

Disappointment is not a strong enough word for the way my mother feels about my husband.

She (influenced by my sister) positively dislike him. It’s got so bad that my sister and I no longer speak. Families eh!
    Luckily I have a brother, who along with his family still love us. Without them I don’t know how I would have got through the last 2 years.

Edit: bunnyhop writing this.

toby1

Mine is quite easy to avoid, she didn’t have a good childhood and has pretty terrible social anxiety. We don’t know much about each other. I see her very occasionally, she asked to just see her daughters at Christmas and struggled even with that and she would never look to judge me. So I presume that means I’m pretty lucky really!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I could go on, but I think it’s best to stop right there.

Absolutely.

You sound like an abject failure 🤷‍♂️

🤡

footflaps

Made me chuckle!

sweepy
    Free Member

My MIL used to detest me, then switched and thinks I’m fantastic and the only reason the Mrs got anywhere. But we both secretly know she only says that she likes me to get at the Mrs.

Spud

My MIL was great, got on like a house on fire, sadly she passed away nearly 3 years ago. My mum and wife and also get on really well too. Think we must be an exception.

oddnumber
    Free Member

Me. A least I think I am.

I’m not sure why, other than being from a completely different background to my wife (her family are pretty well off), and having opposing views on a lot of stuff. I’ve worked hard to get to a position now where I run a fairly decent business, I supported my wife through four years of university, and now we have a daughter I try be the best dad I can be for her. It never seems to be quite enough though.

I used to be pretty handy at ignoring the situation but it does tend to grind you down a bit over time.

jimmy

I don’t have a mother-in-law but I do have brother-in-law, who both my mum and me think is a complete ar… cu… twa… Sorry, disappointment. So he probably thinks/ knows he is a disappointment, but then my sister also shows very healthy signs of having the very same opinion.

faerie
    Free Member

My ex was a son of a polygamist, I had 4 MILs! TBF, he needed a team to look after his lazy backside. All 4 of them hated me as I was too headstrong, I took it as a compliment

kimbers

Dreds, smoked a lot of weed, wasted time & money dicking around on my bike, low paid science job, she was particularly unimpressed with me jaunting off to the Alps without the gf for a couple of weeks every summer…

But 4 great grandkids , house, job , happy wife and a spare room where she’s always welcome.

She’s not always easy to get in with

But she’s nice enough

deserter
    Free Member

MIL likes me
    It’s the wife that doesn’t

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So, who else is a disappointment to their mother-in-law?’ is closed to new replies.