• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • So, what to do next ? Frame content
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just at lockdown, I found a crack on the seat tube, top tube junction on my Cannondale F29 alloy frame. Dealing through lockdown and the bike shop I purchased from, amazing that I was sent a replacement frame under warranty withing 2 weeks. This appeared the beginning of June. Built up the same day and chuffed and thankful for being able to ride this bike while on Furlough. Riding XC , which is what I do and nothing gnar !. So, having issues again with creaks and found the cassette slightly loose and pedals needing a tweek for play and seemed to be fine. Slight creak again this morning on a ride, so thought I would check the cassette lockring again tonight and then notice a small hairline crack on a weld between the seat post tube and side of the top tube. Slightly different to the last frame. But similar noises while pedalling. Lick a tick noise.
    I have emailed the bike shop again, but not sure if I am going to be doing this again soon, so weighing up my options on a frame change.
    I built a dt swiss rear wheel, so can re use this as currently QR and just need adaptors. Running 3 by at the moment , as old skool. But the main problem is I like the lefty fork and want to reuse this .
    Questions
    1/ I believe there is a system for fitting a lefty to a standard headtubed bike ?
    2/ Would using a 90mm fork on an Ibis DV9 create issues ?
    3/ Any frame recommendations I might want to consider similar to the Ibis ?
    I understand I may have to change to 1 X . So, I can just buy a single chainring for my XT 8000 cranks , longer arm mech and a cassette.
    Anything else I may need to consider ?
    Being away from biking for 2 years , I have missed loads , so almost consider myself a newbie 🙂

epicyclo

We used to call Cannondale “Crackandfail”

Nice bikes though.

hols2
    Free Member

How much seatpost do you have inserted into the seat tube?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

First frame was warrantied and was asked to send a photo of the seat tube in the frame. Was using a 400mm Thomson and I almost cant get anymore seatpost into the frame as it hits the bottle bosses, so I would say plenty 🙂 Cannondale agreed the first time round and sent me the replacement.
    Looking at this one is 10 weeks old. Shame really, as its a fab XC bike . Riding my Jekyll today and adding 50% bike weight and 26 er with fat tyres did feel a drag but was still fun. May stick with that for a while……….
    Still like the Ibis frame but may involve more costs than I would hope for currently………

tdog
    Free Member

Shame bout Cannons

i liked those ELO Leftys bitd – mmmmm lust

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘So, what to do next ? Frame content’ is closed to new replies.