Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • So what happens to all the flooded cars and caravans in mid Wales
  • project
    Free Member

Scrapped, or dried out.

A freind boughtan imaculate Peugot lastyear, when she braked hard, you could hear water sloshing in the bodywork, and if left in the sun, all the windows steamed up.

So are waterlogged cars supposed to be destroyed or can they be sold on, legally.

Oh she sold it on soon after.

highclimber
    Free Member

i suppose it’s up to the Insurers. then I suppose they might not cover ‘acts of God’.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Loss adjusters will be sent out to wriggle out of/undervalue assets on behalf of the insurance co.s. Whatever is not written off can be sold on… caveat emptor!

tracknicko
    Free Member

maybe she bought it off someone who was uninsured? thus nothing to claim in the original dunking, so they dried it (a bit) themselves and sold it on?

andyrallye
    Free Member

It’s only fire damage and cat A & B that can’t be sold on.
    Flood damage is usually cat D.
    Electrical problems tend to be rife though.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

When we had similar floods I know of a local car dealership who were self insured other than liability insurance. They shipped all the cars to one of their other branches and dried them out. They then just retailed them out.

I made a quiet call to both trading standards and press and neither were interested. I would hate to have bought one

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Arnold Clark buys them. Sells them as ex-demo etc. 😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

My car, that was flooded out in the 2007 Sheffield floods, was a CAT A write off due to flood water’s likelihood of contamination. Meant it was never allowed on the road again and could only be sold to a registered breaker.

I was pretty gutted.

avdave2

When the Sorting Office in Lewes was flooded a few years ago all the vans had to be replaced and someone came and bought all the old ones and I assume eventually they went back on the road. I imagine Post Office don’t actually insure their vehicles but have a fund put aside to cover claims against them thus none of the vans would have been written off.

grantway
    Free Member

If insured, they’ll belong to the Insurers
    if of any value will be stripped out and refitted and sold on.

globalti
    Free Member

I bought a transfer box off an 11,000 mile drowned water board Defender. It only cost me £300, was in immaculate condition but was full of the foulest smelling greeny grey emulsion. It actually smelled like EP90 mixed with garlic, really disgusting. Bacteria grow well in warm water/oil emulsions. After fitting it I ran it round the bloke three times filled with three changes of cheapo Comma engine oil before refilling it with EP.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘So what happens to all the flooded cars and caravans in mid Wales’ is closed to new replies.