Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • So those on-one Titus frames…
  • AlexSimon

Yes, my ML7/5 is proving very hard to replace too.
    I keep looking at new bikes, but end up just servicing this one.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i heard that qr rather than bolt through rear ends put less stress on shock mounts. ergo less frame cracking.

just hearsay like.

Rio

brant – Member

Better frame pics – http://www.shedfire.com/2012/07/17/new-colour-el-guapos-in-now/

Bit mystified by those pics as they seem to show 2 different frames – the orange one has an extra tube from the seat tube to the top tube and it seems to have a curvier top tube. Which is the “real” El Guapo?

brant
    Free Member

Small frames don’t have a bracing tube to the seat tube from the top tube.
    Medium and large frames do.

Top tube profile is same on all models.

alex222
    Free Member

i heard that qr rather than bolt through rear ends put less stress on shock mounts. ergo less frame cracking.

just hearsay like.

😆

tracknicko
    Free Member

just hearsay like.

my mate did it to dirt magazines favourite ever hardcore AM bike. but then he is a proper badass. maybe bolt through just isnt designed for badasses.

honourablegeorge

tracknicko – Member

just hearsay like.

You get less headtube failures from 142 rear ends though. The headtube knows there’s a bolt thru back there, and automatically feels more relaxed as a result. This also has the effect of slackening the bike slightly.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

just boll**ks like

FIFY
    though to be fair, honourablegeorge’s response FTW.

alex222
    Free Member

Ctm – I think it was a joke.

tracknicko
    Free Member

it wasnt. i saw a lad. bolt through back end. cracked shock mount. no joke. provable fact.

also saw a lad with a qr rear end, NO cracked shock mount.

so explain that one!

similar to what george mentions, the crack was actually resulting in a semi-automated slacker head angle, think the bike knew it was in the alps.

alex222
    Free Member

must be science and engineering at work!

it’s the only explanation

smiff
    Free Member

10% off everything this weekend guys! bloody tempting to get something. not sure if EG is too much bike..

edit: so shock length is 216mm, what’s the Monarch tune please?

msjhes2
    Free Member

10% of everything at on-one? How, I get the daily emails but must have deleted it before reading!

rj
    Free Member

Use the code UKBANKERS10 at the checkout.

smiff
    Free Member

i’m 5′ 10″ and ride.. a bit of everything, but no dj or anything too extreme. like to go up and down. have almost new Revelation and Hope hoops flow or crest ready on donor bike.
    so someone tell me why i shouldn’t get a medium Guapo with RT3 for £540. thinking Raw or White (shame Monarch isn’t white!).

only reason i can think is if i want a 29er (meaning new wheels and fork and frame wont be this cheap either).. which i’m not sure i do. and that i haven’t ridden the Guapo. and that it may get stolen for looking.. so damn sexy 😀

smiff
    Free Member

any comments on Guapo vs FTM carbon for £90 more? FTM might be more suitable for me really hmm. obviously lighter and less travel, but is it really a good allrounder? not really keen on carbon anyway… raw Guapo would be less worry for damage.

any weirdness with sizing on either bike?
    595mm seems a bloody long TT, my current bike is 560. that’s a big difference, like it’s for 0 length stems or something. any owners please. or is it measured differently, i go centreline of headset to centre of seat tube.

btw if anyone wants a Large they have a one with a paint chip for £495 i think.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CZ1339/titus_el_guapo_frame_and_monarch_shock__large__orange

smiff
    Free Member

why the hell aren’t these Guapos selling at £540? they were hot at £800 earlier this season. only thing close to that i can see is the Nukeproof Mega from CRC at about £630 to £660
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75355
    both with Monarch RT3

any comments on whether small Guapo is too small for someone 5’10 – 5′ 11 with long legs ? i’d normally be medium but the sizing looks big on paper.

Rio

i’d normally be medium but the sizing looks big on paper.

If it helps at all I’m 6′ and my large El Guapo seems to be spot on.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah just measured, my old full suss frame (medium) is 585mm TT (right between small and medium gaupo). my old seat tube is only 400mm (less than a small Guapo! Trek “virtual” sizing there) and 440 on my hardtail, wouldn’t want any bigger.

i’m measuring TT horizontal, from centre of steerer to centre of seat tube line.
    ST from centre of BB along tube to top. anyone with a guapo around to confirm how they measure please?

not sure, can’t ring On-one as will have expired by Monday.. bugger. erm. i’m leaning towards small as easier to chuck around, but may bash knees? small doesn’t have that bracing tube to top of ST, i’d prefer medium with that.

if you’re 6 foot and i’m 5 10, medium should be fine.. but this years is 10mm longer (in all sizes i think), you have older one? gah. difficult.

btw does EG frame have bottle mounts on down tube?

brant
    Free Member

Get medium.

smiff
    Free Member

brant, thanks. do you say that based on my height, those lengths, or the small is really small? 🙂

also if you had any medium alloy FTMs i may get one instead, any more of them coming? thanks!

smiff
    Free Member

allright that’s half a grand (a monkey?) towards your Italian takeover, cheers guys.
    i expect if it does turn out to be too much bike i’ll be able to sell for around £300-350 in good condition?

smiff
    Free Member

half an hour left if anyone else wants a Guapo, FTM, etc, various frames with 10% off the already discounted price..

Guapo with CCDB can be preordered for £720 i think, you’ll only need to wait till.. Wednesday?

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV3CCDB/titus_el_guapo_frame_with_cane_creek_double_barrel_air_shock

use code UKBANKERS10
    i went for the cheaper Monarch deal, like to service my own kit and not hardcore enough for the CCDB i don’t think.

here’s all titus frames:
    http://on-one.co.uk/c/q/frames/titus

Rockstar 29er FS for £675 sounds great too, i’d probably have gone for that if i didn’t have almost new 26 wheels and fork. Guapo 29 coming this autumn? it’s like 26″ stuff is all on discount eh.

float
    Free Member

this is the best deal ive seen since those orange alpine frames with ccdb were being sold for £800

if only i had this kind of money spare 🙁

chillidave
    Free Member

I bit the bullet at 11:45 last night after a weekend toing and froing between the Monarch and the CCDB. In the end I went for the Monarch, I’m not sure my skills can justify the extra. I figured I could get more by using the money saved to buy a dropper post.

Very excited, given the timing I’m almost happy my old frame gave up on life last weekend!

Conan257
    Free Member

Wish this offer came up on the 2nd week of August as I’d have bought without hesitation.

There’s plenty of options at £600, but much fewer after you knock another 10% off.

smiff
    Free Member

what other options did you find, i could only see the Nukeproof i linked earlier as anywhere in the ballpark, and for some reason that didn’t appeal.

don’t be too bummed though it’s still available at £600? which is a great price afaik (this frame was $2200 3 years ago?! not that it matters)
    On-one may reduce price again, doesn’t look like they sold that many, maybe a timing thing..

looks like summer’s here so looking forward to riding this beauty, even if it is way more bike than i need 😳 at least not orange.. and i won’t feel left out next time i ride in surrey hills (Ibis, Ibis, transition, Lapierre.. jesus)

Conan257
    Free Member

The 2nd hand market is quite interesting at that price point, admittedly there’s little new for £600.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

mind landed today…. hope to get out on it this weekend 😀

i’d be interested in comparing people’s setting for the CCADB….

smiff
    Free Member

yeah they are really farkin’ nice, that looks like a large. seriously amazing work for the price (usually i feel the other way around with most stuff). gonna be a bit longer before i can ride mine though.

no lacquer or anything, it’s not going to corrode i guess?

also, nowhere to put a bottle! bugger, esp. in this weather!

for anyone interested: medium with Monarch, on the scales, 3035g. only about 700g more than my Top Fuel IIRC.

Conan257
    Free Member

Still flip flopping between a white medium Guapo and a yellow medium Nukeproof Mega…

No idea which way I’m going to end up going at the moment, but got 2 weeks to decide…

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Youve got to get el guapo with a ccdb surely?! Thats where I’d be going. I was considering an elguapo but didn’t fancy a monarch shock. Ive got a rocket with rp23, which is great, but I would have got the elguapo and saved the cash if they’d been doing the ccdb.
    Looks great raw.

smiff
    Free Member

nope, current monarch supposed to be as good a RPx, user serviceable and £200 cheaper.. dunno i’ll see! frame can take anything including coil if that’s your thing (not me).

should have said: weight i gave above also bare. paint probably adds 200g? and chips. some careful filing might get this under 3kg haha.

Mega.. is more DH? some QC issues i’ve heard there. and nowhere as pretty 😉

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I read many poor user reviews of the monarch that put me off. maybe its ok, never used one.

AlexSimon

paint probably adds 200g

Is the raw finish actually bare aluminium? I assumed it was an applied finish.

smiff
    Free Member

it really is bare, doesn’t even seem to be lacquered. btw always annoyed me that my Whyte was painted black undercoat, then silver again. seems so pointless and makes scratches look sh*t. no idea why more don’t offer bare frames, can aluminium corrode/dull in some conditions? magnesium forks sure can.

maccruiskeen

can aluminium corrode/dull in some conditions

it’ll go dull in pretty much any condtions

maccruiskeen

My racer x arrived day before yesterday but too busy to do anything with it for a while

surprised that it looks a little more like darth vader than the photos suggest

relieved that the seat tube on the extra large model is 23″ not 32″ as stated 😀

smiff
    Free Member

right so… maybe should lacquer it? some turtle wax? 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looking forward to seeing some of these built up.. (hint, hint)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘So those on-one Titus frames…’ is closed to new replies.