Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • So, the 'elk manoeuvre' aftermath.
  • matt_outandabout

I can report that:
    A) a Touran does not fall over when performing the Elk Stag manoeuvre.
    B) a red stag can sure make a bang, when hitting said Touran, and leave a certain amount of snot, hair and other bodily fluids all over the side of said car.
    C) if the stag had been a foot further over the road, we would have had full on stag-through-windscreen moment.

Does anyone know if I should be worried about the dents in the pillar next to the windscreen and roof edge? I am concerned that in a future bump, these are main structural elements. The dents are shallow, but one has a “folded” edge to it…(pics later)

househusband

Did the stag die – and, if so, one assumes the carcass is now hanging in one’s garage/shed..?!

matt_outandabout

We stopped but it was staggering off….it was a blind crest in pitch black, so I moved down road and when I returned after kids and mrs oab had calmed down, I could find no sign. Local farmer has been informed, so I suspect it won’t go to waste (but maybe to waist!).

thegreatape
    Free Member

You need to gralloch it pretty much straight away if you’re going to eat it.

boblo
    Free Member

Lucky you spent all that time fixing the suspension or it might have fallen over mid swerve 🙂

maxtorque

tbh, i’d get the dents at least “looked at” by a professional body shop. At the least, you don’t want any cracked paint to let water into the pillars!

breadcrumb

The dents should only be the outer skin. The inner frame should be a much heavier gauge, possibly boron steel.

Still worth getting checked out though.

matt_outandabout

Maxtorque – it already sports a variety of scratches, dents and broken paint…but good point that it could lead to longer term problems. I can just see the look of joy on the body shops face when faced with a near total respray needed….

midlifecrashes

Better the Touran than a Yaris with a canoe hanging out the back, would have been even less fun.

matt_outandabout

IMAG0499 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

IMAG0498 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

maxtorque

Water in the pillars is potentially a right PITA. Not just in terms of corrosion, but a lot of wiring and ecu’s tend to get packaged into the lower pillar area. Those REALLY don’t like getting wet…..

maxtorque

Sorry, just seen the pics. You’ll be fine! Lives to fight another day!. Just lift the black rubber screen surround and check for fractured paint on the back side. You can “fix” any cracks with some epoxy glue or even nail varnish!

hora
    Free Member

Can you legally keep?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Technically no. But the driver who comes across it after you can have it

If it caused damage to my car an no one was about- id be having it

CountZero

Phew! Lucky escape there, Matt.

Drac

Can you legally keep?

Your supposed to put on the doorstep of the landowner but the council may not appreciate that.

brakes
    Free Member

can you legally keep?

Only on the second and third Thursdays of the month and you have to drink its blood by the roadside through a straw made from the wood of a Garbo tree that has passed through the digestive system of the landowner.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Technically no. But the driver who comes across it after you can have it

That’s not in the Deer Act 1991 nor the Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 🙂

Taking the carcass away – without legal right or permission obviously – is an offence. Doubt you’d get done for it in these circumstances though, i.e. not deliberate poaching.

matt_outandabout

Let us just say that road kill in our old village (including any weak or injured shot from the road) were fair game. More than a few times we arrived home to venison in a carrier bag on the door step….

thegreatape
    Free Member

Which is better than the foxes having it!

The stalkers round here aren’t interested in deer that’ve been hit by cars because the adrenaline rush causes the meat to be ruined, so even when they shoot the injured ones for us they don’t bother with them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe the case that its not in the rules but its always been the case where ive lived but then maybe thats because i live there and speak to the farmer as oppose to pass through:)

matt_outandabout

Any body shop people on?
    The wing has dent/pushed out and back and deep scratches, bumper cracked, A pillar above in pics, roof line edge has three more small dents like A pillar, mirror casing wobbly, a long dent/long line/scratch along both doors, scratches on rear wing….
    Comparing to damage before, where they repaired but resprayed the lot, I think it would be a respray. How much (ish)?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s what my old man used to tell me was the rule for pheasants too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘So, the 'elk manoeuvre' aftermath.’ is closed to new replies.