• This topic has 74 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • So THAT’s what Glentress is about
  • brant
    Free Member

Got a call from Illy from Hotlines at 8:30am telling me that he was on his way to Glentress for the Future Publishing Bike Demo day (Sunday), and he was going to pick up up in 2hrs. Bit of a shock to me and the family, but bag packed, apologies made, we were on the road for most of the day due to a scenic but slow route thanks to his Satnav being set in “pretty roads” mode we got there about three, in the wind and rain.

The Hub was rammed, the coffee was good, and as the crowds started to drift home, I bought a new waterproof coat from the Hub bikeshop, the clouds started to drift apart, and by 5pm, I was at the top of Spooky Woods and basically had the place to myself.

From looking at the map, I seem to have ridden:-

Pennels Vennel, Super G, Hit Squad Hill, Blue Velvet, Betty Blue, Ewok Village, Double X, The Bitch, Magic Mushroom.

It was interesting to see this place that so many people talk about. Favourite Trail I think was Hit Squad Hill, with the nice Black shortcut at that corner, I remember Double X and The Bitch being quite interesting too.

So – some riding on Saturday, a meal out with Future Publishing on Saturday night, Sunday woke clear and blue and sparkly, and I shared a breakfast table with Nico, who was over as he rides for Lapierre who Hotlines distribute as well (awesome bikes, oh, and he’s not bad either).

Got another ride in on the Sunday, riding much of the same again. It was good. I’d not go again recreationally but as this was “work”, it was OK 😉

I can do berms now (though the ones at Lee Quarry are better), I can do doubles (though the ones at Lee Quarry are better), but yeah, for sociable types, I can see what the attraction is. There’s a shitload of riding at Glentress, and I love the feeling of just railing into stuff, or hitting rock obstacles knowing that they’ve designed it so they won’t kill you. ps: has anyone done Spooky Woods “brakeless” – I think that’d be a fun thing to try.

shoefiti
    Free Member

WTP?

Stoner
    Free Member

who’s the pimp?
    where’s the pie?
    why take pills?

go on, give us a hand…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so its all about cleverly hidden free advertising?

hora
    Free Member

You lot are so cynical sometimes! 🙄 😆
    I’m going to try out Lee Quarry this Friday 😀

shoefiti
    Free Member

What’s The Point – I took the time to read through it – then thought yes, it’s some sort of appithany on Scotish trail centers – can’t see any point in letting readers of a forum know – just wondered What’s the Point? that’s all.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Those cotic’s look damn nice thou don’t they!

brant
    Free Member

just wondered What’s the Point? that’s all.

I was berated on here several times for never having visited a trail centre in the last 10yrs. So I’ve been now.

brant
    Free Member

Those cotic’s look damn nice thou don’t they!

I’ve got a new Cotic DH top too – they’re nice.

Del

what’s an ‘appithany’ anyway?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah got you now. So you went, you thought it was so so. Not really the greatest of epiphanies though in my mind. (Spelling?)

brant
    Free Member

what’s an ‘appithany’ anyway?

I think he meant epiphany, but that’s an Ellsworth isn’t it?

brant
    Free Member

Ah got you now. So you went, you thought it was so so.

That kind of thing, yeah.

shoefiti
    Free Member

god you lot buy a dictionary.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Anyhoo – sorry i drifted off during the original post – i’m actually with you Brant on this.

Stoner
    Free Member

“appithany”, not epiphany.

good word. And used correctly too.
    Straight to the top of the class for you!

shoefiti
    Free Member

apologies agian i meant ‘EPIPHANY’ terrible spelling ill get my coat now.

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂 Sorry, I’ll try to stop being sarcastic. Terribly rude.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think Glentress is a fantastic facility but I can only go there occasionally as otherwise I get bored of it.

No feeling of adventure and a bit short on the views.

Trekster

So you went, you thought it was so so.

Ditto

And I`ve ridden there lots

flange
    Free Member

Good write up!

There’s some proper ****ts on this forum as well

shoefiti
    Free Member

or was i right the first time isn’t an epithany an christian feast? god i don’t know anymore!

hora
    Free Member

Brant, have you ever ridden on the North Downs? Its abit like Hebden in a way- lots of quick elevation gained with lots of fun bits but loose earth and roots etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

or was i right the first time isn’t an epithany an christian feast?

no. You’re thinking of Christmas now.

shoefiti
    Free Member

And Brant – did you eat the braskfast at the Hub? i wasn’t a fan i must be honest.

brant
    Free Member

Having re-read my post, it does read a bit like an advertorial. So sorry for that.

It was so so. Yeah. I terms of the disruption to family life, huge amount of travelling time (4hrs each way), and the riding on my doorstep being more up might street (less berms, more rocks) then I’m happy to stay local.

Nice to see what all the noise is about though!

shoefiti
    Free Member

mmmmmmm christmas.

brant
    Free Member

did you eat the braskfast at the Hub?

No. I did have some coffee (a latte) though, which was as good as any I’ve had anywhere.

Stoner
    Free Member

more up might street

the murdering of the English language this morning is astonishing.
    🙂

geoffj

Stoner – you’ve never been to Might Street?

brant
    Free Member

the murdering of the English language this morning is astonishing.

is it something your taking offence at 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

shoefiti
    Free Member

Brant – it certainly has a ‘bike park’ feel to it, i think if you are used to the more natural stuff, and been riding a while pre bike park it is an odd experience, many friends of mine that have been riding only the man made trails hate places like quantocks etc – and can’t see why i’d go there – i think much of it’s a mindset as much as the facilities/trails etc.

shoefiti
    Free Member

might street is renowned for it’s rock garden.

brant
    Free Member

many friends of mine that have been riding only the man made trails hate places like quantocks etc – and can’t see why i’d go there

Yeah – in some ways I actually liked the freeride park bit best of all. And the couple of jumps at the top of spooky woods.

Or just ride it in a silly pump-track sort of way. That’s fun. Or brakeless.

Stoner
    Free Member

On Topic…

I love the rollercoaster, “point and shoot”, of well made manmade trails, especially spooky woods for example, or even pink heffer. The flattering build means I can get the meerest hint of “air” and feel a trailgod for the briefest moment.

Maybe I dont know what a super technical trail really is? I think some of the black mountian descents qualify off the northern edge. And big days out with a map and a full back pack are fantastic too. But different. s’all good.

shoefiti
    Free Member

yeh it’s fun alright – just doesnn’t make memories in the way an old school epic does in my opinion.

hora
    Free Member

I like the bottom of Deliverance 🙂

I just love the faux-trailoverlords getting above themselves about trail centres. FFS, open and free trails tend to have open bridleways and farm road/track’s in them – even in the Lakes. So how does that sit with the trailcentres then? **** hate people who look down on others, go and join a roadbike club if you want to portray arrogance and oneupmanship over another mans choice.

shoefiti
    Free Member

flask of hot coffee up a hill in the middle of some place with on or two good mates – sharing your last jammy dodger or fig neuton, jumpers for goal posts, tear in the eye………….

those where the days.

sniff sniff

bike parks – you can ram em.

shoefiti
    Free Member

“hate people who look down on others, go and join a roadbike club if you want to portray arrogance and oneupmanship over another mans choice. “”

i don’t think anyone said anything that suggested that did they? crikey charlie!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘So THAT’s what Glentress is about’ is closed to new replies.