• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • So I’ve just set up my turbo for the winter and the wife said…
  • richmtb

Picture the scene:

Turbo in the garage, front of the bike facing my workbench at the back of the garage so I can rest a tablet there for Traineroad / Zwift or whatever.

Wife says “Are you not worried someone will stab you in the back while you are on your bike”

Er no… But I’m a bit worried about you now.

As irrational fears go it takes some beating.

MrSparkle

Literally or metaphorically? I was just wondering if it was a Zwift cheating related thing.

globalti
    Free Member

I used to have my desk set up so that my back was to the door and you’d be amazed how many people asked me if I felt comfortable not knowing who was coming in!

mashr

You’ve done the right thing posting here. When she bumps you off mid Zwift race we can help the police enquiry

richmtb

Come to think of it she did ask me if I wore headphones while I was on the turbo…

trail_rat
    Free Member

My garage has patio doors …I train with my back to them currently.

Was out at silly o’clock in the dark yesterday and this thought did cross my mind….even though you’d have to come through my house to get to the door as I had it chocked open against the van which was hard up against the fence on the other side.

But the concern is real !

jeff

Buy some of these ASAP

oldnpastit

She might just be a former secret agent, for the CIA, or Mossad, and it’s just her training.

tthew

I was telling my partner about pensions when I started a new job, particularly the death in service benefit.

“Do you actually have to die AT work for me to get that?” 😳

If ever I peg out at home, my cold dead corpse will be in the back of the van then dumped in the work car park under the cover of darkness.

DezB
    Free Member

So I’ve just set up my turbo for the winter and the wife said…

Why don’t you get outside, ya big wimp?!

NewRetroTom

Is her name Louise? Probably best to wear a stab vest while on the turbo trainer.

fossy

Check your life insurance…..

Same here, turbo at back of garage facing some shelves. Small PC and two monitors mounted on a stand. Keeps the turbo and bike out of the way. I can, however, pop the CCTV feed via the network on one monitor if needed !!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Cool story bro, sounds like an urban myth

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why don’t you get outside, ya big wimp?!

Every time i consider spending £700 on a smart trainer or £200 on a new pc to run zwift I remind myself that would pay for an entire wardrobe of casteli winter jackets, roubaix leggings and a spare pair of northwave boots.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah it would have

But I guarantee you still wouldn’t have gone riding in the rain and flooding we had yesterday at 6am.

I was a hater too till I actually tried it and realised that erg mode is an absolute game changer over a dumb trainer and any multitude of sensors.

Got much more out of it for that both engagement and training wise.

tomd
    Free Member

My turbo is in the garage set up with my back to the doors. Mid winter last year my wife did come into the garage to ask me something.

I absolutely shat it when she touched my shoulder. It was during a Zwift “race” and I was properly imersed in it with music on my headphones. Genuinely never jumped like that in my life. I’d imagine that it would be on a par with someone pouring a bucket of water over you while asleep in bed. Genuinely awful.

I now lock the door when I’m on the turbo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, youd be unlikely to catch me out on the bije at 6am in any weather!

I quite enjoy my dumb trainer and sufferfest (with virtual watts). Cant decide if spending more on a turbo than my (still quite nice) road bike is worth is sensible or not. Add apple tv and its into new bike territory.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only if you go nuclear.

Doesn’t have to be a kickr or apple TV for erg mode.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

ERG mode has been muchly appreciated recently, while I’m stuck in a single sprocket due to the rear mech cable snapping and I’ve yet to decide whether to tackle the internal routing myself or pay bike shop to do it for me. Depending on how I feel, I can use my actual FTP or fake it (sometimes a bit higher, more often lower) to do preset or custom workouts, effectively making the bike have virtual gearing.

… Bit harder when it comes to Zwift races, I need to pick my courses with a bit of care and find a “trainer difficulty” that gives me reasonable power from my two gears on the flat/uphill/downhill with 34/50 chainrings and 16T sprocket!

longwayhome
    Free Member

With all the life insurance and in-service death benefits, my wife knows I am worth more dead than alive.

This year for birthday and father’s day I got a bungee jump and a 700m zip-wire above a flooded quarry.

avdave2

I really deliberated before spending £500 on an Elite Direto but in the end came to the conclusion that it was an upgrade to all my bikes that would make more difference than the same money spent on each of them. I haven’t regretted it.

I train with my back to an entire warehouse not just a mere garage!

DickBarton

Surely you keep the outer in frame and remove both ends of snapped cable and feed new cable through inside the outer…no?

matt_outandabout

Did you get married recently?

null

MoreCashThanDash

I made a point of telling MrsMC that my death in service benefit goes down for each year of service I survive. She still wants to kill me, but not for financial reasons.

CountZero

Has there been a new patio laid recently?

iainc

Knowing where you live, and working with your wife, I’m not in the least bit surprised 😂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘So I’ve just set up my turbo for the winter and the wife said…’ is closed to new replies.