• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Edit- too slow….. missed your post above.

nathb
    Free Member

@CH My average power today was 242W – I was being lazy for the most of it haha.

I did achieve my objective of sitting in between people on corners rather than being on the outsides all the time though 🙂

Oh and I had a tactic today, thanks to TiReds words of wisdom this morning before the race. But the crash scuppered that, maybe next Saturday? 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Nath- there’s nothing selfish about that until TiReds team snaps you up and uses you as their super-domestique 😀

crosshair
    Free Member

But that’s the art of road racing really- controlled laziness 😀 I averaged 282 hauling my hefty bike about 😀

nathb
    Free Member

I would like to join a team eventually, probably in a month or so – be nice not having to work alone.

You could drop the weight on your bike very easily and relatively cheaply if you wanted (equally do tell me to stick it lol). Did you see the wheels I linked by the way?

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes thanks, I ordered one earlier but cheers anyway.

I had my tongue in my cheek about the bike weight- the mighty Triban somersaults like a Beaut 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Oh haha sorry.

I already had the link ready;
    I was going to suggest swapping to a double & carbon seatpost 😆

Have you checked the fork?

Didn’t see any photographers out today, did you? 😳

crosshair
    Free Member

Don’t swear at me 😀 I’m happy with my Triple- it makes Streatley Hill easier 😀

Yes, there was one I think…..

No, I haven’t yet. I was going to go over it tomorrow 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Hopefully – I just want to see the finishing line shot haha.

Fingers crossed it’s okay!

Not sure what to do with my old Fulcrum Quattros now – save them for training rides or sell? I purposely went for the Hope carbon wheels as they’re built with British roads in mind… but something tells me I should save them for racing and summer. But then I would use my carbon commuter for crap weather days anyway! Hmm

P.s. You’ve so nailed the sticking with the group thing too, so rightly so folk giving you praise!

nathb
    Free Member

Hmm

Anyone figure out my place from this pic?!

6th/7th? Lol

scaredypants

I’m saying:

white – dark w/white shoulder – invisible geezer – yellow – reb w/black arms – orange w/black arms – dark red w bands (you?)

(assuming you’re all doing the same speed)

If you’re dark red w bands, TUCK !!!

atlaz
    Free Member

Recommend these for £62, they’re a steal:

Have you tried the COSINE 32mm Alloy Clinchers? Weight wise they seem like a good deal and are almost as cheap as some new rims and a rebuild of my DTSwiss hubs

crosshair
    Free Member

lol! Tricky! I’d say 6th…..

nathb
    Free Member

@scardeypants – yep that’s me. I was but gained massively on the guy in front so pulled up (think I was also braking too).
    As soon as people cross that line they forget to bloody pedal!!!!

I’d just overtaken the guy on my left too, hence why not moving it to that gap.

nathb
    Free Member

@CH How’s your hip and bike doing?

crosshair
    Free Member

Thanks for asking Nath 🙂

A bit sore- coped with a few light chores and doing the dogs etc. I broke it (and my pelvis) when I was 18 so there’s 2 plates and 8 screws in there. I always struggle with my right sock but this morning it took about five minutes to finally loop it over my toes 😀
    I need to be proactive in increasing my flexibility I think- this has been an eye opener!!
    I’m going to hop on Zwift for some recovery in a bit. I had 2hrs Z2 scheduled but it will probably be 1 @ Z1 and see how it feels.

The bike is fine!! One shifter had slipped around a tad but that was it. I’m treating it to a new cassette and chain and perhaps some cables too….What a machine 🙂

(I did find myself looking at Scott’s earlier but the £1100 speedster was no lighter!!!! And the Addict I liked was £2500….)

TiRed

Well done both of you. Desperately unfortunate to be caught up in a crash. Handlebars overlapped mid bunch, and the ensuing carnage took out about 10 riders. I’m glad you are ok. I stopped, of course to tend the poor rider from Watford who has a classic fractured collarbone. And a skiing holiday in two weeks..

I genuinely expected CH to finish in the pack this time. You will next time.

As for the E123. Cold, raced in a club gilet, attacked very early to bridge a gap, then was swept up. Punctured and took a lap out. You would be surprised how hard it is to get onto the fast-moving bench as they came past. One of our team got into a breakaway, so the rest of the race was pretty easy for me, and I sprinted home possibly top third. Nil points, as usual.

crosshair
    Free Member

Thanks! I genuinely thought I’d missed it as I spotted the initial incident so early. At least going wide gave me a soft landing anyway.

There was that one lap when I was out behind you- HR 180+ and I knew I had to hang tough or that would be it! Your soothing encouragement helped me to get back in the fray so another heartfelt thumbs up- I really appreciate it 🙂

Plenty of excitement to keep you warm in both races 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

@CH I built my bike initially for less than 1k 😉 £400 frame, £450 groupset, £150 wheels £100 to finish 🙂

@tired – thanks, all due to your instruction 🙂 I don’t understand how there are so many punctures on a closed circuit?!
    I was surprised there wasn’t an incident on the S bends to be frank, I can’t believe the rate of people cutting the corner without consideration of the folks on the edges..

CH will definitely keep in the bunch next time!

crosshair
    Free Member

Ok so line talk then. Past the clubhouse, turn left and up the hill to the tight narrow bit. Everyone always bunches up before the Esses- preempting the carnage . I mostly found myself on the right, would make up places as people bunched up then risk life and limb getting back in line through the S bend. This then put me inside for the long right hander.

One lap, I tried doing the opposite. Started hard left past the clubhouse, made up places up the hill, had an easy run through the pinch point as they all followed the straight line but it then meant I was having to ride around the outside of the long right hander.

Which is better or neither?
    If I tried to split the difference and ride up the hill in the middle, there wasn’t room to move up places as the group bunched up- I had to slow down too (last round I did- I even had to bloody brake!!).

crosshair
    Free Member

Nath- that’s awesome!!! Nice bargain hunting 🙂 It was very light!!!!

TiRed

Inside line (lhs is the safer line. Never be on the rhs on the last lap, best be near the middle. That kink is known as “hospital corner” for a reason. The big right hand bend called Brian’s Bend is surprisingly safe. Try and avoid being on the lhs as the bunch kicks back (slows down) going up the incline. Being on the inside line will put you on the grass on the last lap! I prefer he RHS and accelerate out to find a wheel for the sprint.

nathb
    Free Member

By S bends I meant th kink up the hill passed the clubhouse btw. Last weekend I was squeezed on the far left as people we’re cutting it on the inside. On Saturday I was squeezed on the far right.

On the tight right I prefer being on the inside, as on the long left before the finish line you can let the momentum push you up a few places as folks are braking on the inside. Generally wher I did my mini attacks on Saturday too as everyone is sticking to shelter, you’ve just got to push against the wind for 20-30 secs.

crosshair
    Free Member

Ok cool. So generally, LHS until just after the kink, find a way across, inside around Brian’s, then middle/outside after the slope.
    Easy as that 😀

One of the ways I kept up so much better TiRed, was by having in the back of my mind your comment about the course being designed to make pedal strikes almost impossible. It really gave me the confidence to keep on trucking through the bends and further close down all any small gaps before the acceleration came out of the corner.

I’m there next week and am on the reserves for the 28th 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Good man!

I’m trying to get the missus let me race on the 4th (it’s my birthday weekend) so she’s wanting to spend time with me apparently 🙄

Doesn’t look like the regular two photographers were there on Saturday – shame as if I’ve actually got a point or two I was going to buy a picture in celebration haha.

crosshair
    Free Member

Can’t she come and watch? And bring a huge birthday cake? 😀

nathb
    Free Member

On the waiting list for the 4th Feb 😆

Booked in on the 21st/28th/11th

Also put a request out for 52/36 chainrings…

crosshair
    Free Member

Booked on the 11th now just in case and joined the waiting list on the 4th 🙂 It’s an unusual winter indeed for me to have as many spare Saturdays!
    I’d love to say I’m going to do them all next year but there are around 30 non-optional days in my diary and I have no control over which ones they are!

I’m assuming nobody runs winter Crits on a Sunday to avoid clashing with ‘cross?

nathb
    Free Member

I haven’t found any.

Hoping to do the Tuesday 6:30pm BC West Thames series – just need to change my working hours on Tuesdays 😆

There’s 18 of them so may be a slim chance of some more points!

Can you make that one?

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes, definitely up for that!!

nathb
    Free Member

I’m going to try and do at least half of them, perhaps 3/4 if I can get a place! 8)

Should be competent by the next Winter Series that way.

Eyeing up 52/36 chainsets, Ultegra 6800 or Dura 9000 (it’s so shiny 😆 )

nathb
    Free Member

52/36 ordered 😳

7th!!! 3 points on my licence woo!

weeksy

Aces! Congratulations !

You realise your job now is to get Crosshair lined up next race so he can bring the 1200w sprint for the win!

crosshair
    Free Member

Wow! Great job Nath!! That’s awesome 🙂

Weeksy- bit of a waste on my provisional 😉 I’d settle for making the results list lol

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks guys! 9 to go!

CH more than welcome to stick on my wheel. Although last week it is I who was behind him 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

How’s your week going Nath?

I’ve been trying to stick to my hours/intensity but not so sure I shouldn’t have been resting this hip instead. It is improving every day though so should be ‘reet 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Not very well to be honest, work is proper draining me and I’m fighting the onset of a cold.

I’ve commuted most days and;

Sunday – 50 mile on zwift
    Mon – rest
    Tues – was all set for the GCN Kiss race but got kicked out, couldn’t get back in.
    Wed – Zwift 10 mile TT with a 5 mile cool down on Zwift, got a stitch in the race so my power was down by like 40W lol!
    Thurs – doing the pre race workout
    Fri – rest

Glad your hip is recovering, gentle spins should have it right for Saturday. Wheel all ready? What have you done with the tyre situation?

I’m not going to mention the weather this time!!!!!

TiRed

Congratulations nath. First points and only a matter of time to collect the remainder, I’m sure.

Dura Ace is shiny a I have it. On my nice bike that I don’t race. Ultegra is the sweet spot for light, stiff, affordable, replaceable. I race that.

I’m away this Saturday as I have been all week (four hrs of sufferfest is jus not the same as 200km o the road), so there will be no shouting to move up, hold your line, keep your heads up… but enjoy the race.

I seem I’m still languishing mid-pack in 18/36. But happy with the endurance aspects. Steady progress up the rankings and we had three in top 10. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lower is faster… who’d have thought 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.