Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Snapped 456 chainstay – another or something else?
  • kevt

Hey,

I have snapped the right chainstay on my 2008 456, in fairness to on one its done a lot of riding and had some chainsuck damage which may have led to the failure. Mostly gutted that I had to walk the annat descent 🙁

I tried ringing on one earlier but will have to call back tomorrow am, so what do people would think would be a good option?

renew with an evo
    bfe seems likely alternative but not as slack?
    prince albert?
    maybe a sirius?

anything else?

cheers

Kev

adilc123
    Free Member

My Carbon 456?

Adil.

kevt

thanks but not sure about the c456

reggiegasket
    Free Member

BFe

I’ve done the change and the BFe is an improvement (IMO)

kevt

reggie, can you say in what way(s) it is better?

cookeaa

This might be a cheeky ask but what are your plans for the busted frame?
    I might have a little project where I could make use of a karked 456 or similar…

email in profile…

nick1962
    Free Member

Or if that’s too hardcore for you Kev what about this
    http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/alpine.php

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the back end is smoother, and the geo feels slightly slacker to me (although the forks are different so there’s another variable there. It lifts the front more easily, which in turn makes it more nimble, and I put that down to shorter chainstays, although I’ve not checked this to confirm. Back to back with a mates 456 it just feels more agile, with the weight a bit further back. I suppose you could tweak the 456 to get it closer but to me the BFe is just a great frame. And it just loves to be thrashed!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi cookeaa

I have a bent 456 (pic here) if you interested? Make me an offer.

TIA

Lefty

email in profile

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi cookeaa

BTW where are you based?

Lefty

Northwind

Did you like the 456, is the only question here that really matters.

Del

genesis alpitude?
    far nicer than the alpine ( probably not, TBH, but Dave’s got one, so i have to say that. don’t tell ‘im ).

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Selling an 18″ 456 frame soon gimmie email if interested 🙂
    Getting a 20″ instead.

kevt

ha ha thanks Nick, not really my colour, is it available in green?

I was wondering about the alpine, bfe sounds interesting shame i have just bought a 27.2 dropper….

I do like the 456, though it is quite a harsh rear.

hmmm, any more, preferably with experience of some others?

jamesy01
    Free Member

I do like the 456, though it is quite a harsh rear.

I’ve just gone from a steel 456 to a c456 and the rear feels a lot less harsh. I sit through a fair amount of rough stuff and in my opinion the difference is night and day. My dodgy back has also stopped giving me Nearly as much gyp…

P.S. I am in no way a Dr and a c456 may or may not be responsible for easing back pain.

cookeaa

leftyboy

I’m Reading Way…

Although that frame appears to only be a bit bent and potentially salvagable…

I’m after a proper cheap deadun’ to take a hacksaw to, I’d feel a tad guilty writing that off completely…

email on its way…

Liftman

jamesy01 + 1
    also gone frome a steel 456 to the carbon version and the difference is huge, it just seems to soak up the rough stuff.

nick1962
    Free Member

As we all know not all steel(or any other material) frames are the same and according to this Bob Jacksonit matters how they are made as well as what they are made with.No idea how any bikes are made but I imagine the cheaper ones are mass produced and the expensive ones hand made.May be worth making enquiries with the various makers first.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I thoroughly recommend a Dialled PA, very good reputation for strength and good fun to ride. Seeing as you have a 27.2 dropper you’re set. I have run mine with a Pike, Revelation and rigid 29″ fork and big wheel.

It feels similar to the 456 but a bit crisper and less hefty (I think there’s about a lb less material IIRC).

The current need to buy a car sees me putting my 2nd PA up for sale: PA classified ad. I may be open to splitting.

Regardless of whether mine is of interest to you, they’re definitely worth checking out!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I did the same thing with my 853 Inbred after about 5 years, I had that fixed because I couldn’t just replace it, not really worth it for a 456 frame though.

If you like the 456 the evo looks a good replacement and from the pics the chainstay looks like there is more chainring clearance than the old 456?

tinsy
    Free Member

If you liked your 456, then just stick with it, BUT carbon, you will drop about 2lb, and at £250 for a brand new frame its a bargain. Its a known bike with great geometry at less than a unkown chinese carbon frame.

I dont need one, but I am sorely tempted.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Snapped 456 chainstay – another or something else?’ is closed to new replies.