Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Worth risking a repair?
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi my 456 came to a sticky end recently, very large flint rock in back wheel that snapped the rear mech off and bent the drive side dropout a bit (see pic).

I’ve been quoted £40 +postage each way for Argos (Bristol) to try and straigthen it but they aren’t confident it will work.

Do I risk total cost roughly £65 or go for a new frame, around £250?

BTW I know “that’ll buff out”, “tidy your garage”, “where did all those leaves come from” etc. 😀

photo by OSX Boy, on Flickr

Onzadog
    Free Member

Even if you got that straight enough to shift properly, I think the axle would be a sloppy fit. It will never go back as it was. If it was me, I’d be looking at a new frame. Don’t forget the cost of a respray.

thepodge
    Free Member

How much for a whole new dropout?

More expensive than a repair but cheaper than a frame

woody2000

You’ll be able to pick up a SH 456 for less than £250, shoorely. Or new dropout instead?

righog
    Free Member

If it was mine I would :-

1. Buy an new frame.

2. Put it in vice heat it up and see what how far you can fix it getting medievel with it. See what happens.

you would need to do both ( but you could do it in any order ).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

PeterPoddy had one easily as bad as that, and he managed to bend it back fine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_atkin/2836315179/

ski
    Free Member

Sure it was it PP off here, who managed to hammer an inbred hanger back, that had gone that awol too?

[edit] anotherdeadhero beat me to it lol

Wozza
    Free Member

I’d skip it and buy this:
    Soul for £275

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi all

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas

Onzadog

Yes that’s my worry about repairing it

hepodge

Argos of Bristol told me that dropouts for 456s aren’t available as did on-one

woody2000

Could do but am thinking of going for either a Cotic Soul or a Pipedream Scion, thinking a replaceable hanger would be the way to go

righog

That’s were my thinking has got to, take a blow torch to it bend it, see if it works. Get a new frame so I can ride and not worry about repairing it not working

anotherdeadhero

ski

got to be worth ago but my skills are poor so maybe righog’s idea is the way to go

BrickMan

dropout for that looks pretty damn generic to me. I’d let argo’s have a go, or find a decent road framebuilder nearby and drop it in on them.

Cost front should be able to sort it for <£50 even if the best answer is to just braze a new dropout in there.

Northwind

I’d heat it and bend it, then paint it. But then I’m a bodger. typical shimano-style QR rear axle makes for a perfect lever incidentally, thread is the same as the mech hole

(actually- thank you! I’ve been idly wondering what to use for a mech spacer on the dh bike, this just made me realise I’ve got loads in the garage, just hadn’t thought of it)

Cheezpleez

Wang it back. Steel is amazing. If it doesn’t work, get a carbon one for £250 😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

Well this is one of the USP’s of steel isn’t it? The village blacksmith can fix it in his forge in deepest darkest Peru… I think they were being polite telling you they can’t get hold of a dropout. It’s a budget mass produced steel frame made in Taiwan, or not worth sticking a new dropout on.
    Get it in the vice and get brutal with it. I wouldn’t even bother heating it, bending it once each way won’t crack it. As for painting it, let it wear it’s history I say.

BrickMan

^^^ Do that, but apply heat from even just a gas tar burner, that will at least help it bend a little.
    Then once in please, relieve it by heating up as much as you can (with no force) then slowly letting it cool down (apply less and less heat) in the vice/air over as long a period as you can be bothered with.

BrickMan

^^ a decent burner should at least get it white hot, if not red hot, I can with mine.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Turns out a bent frame is the least of my worries…

Just been made redundant the day before my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Not a good few weeks!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Rik, that’s terrible news.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Worth risking a repair?’ is closed to new replies.