Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Snakebite Repair on tyre bead ~ best option?
  • P20

I’ve managed to snakebite a Nobby Nic on the tyre bead. The stans arch rim looks fine. What’s the best method for repairing?

Tracey

Done a few over the years, last one in the summer, using a mushroom plug and trimming off at the bead edge

Northwind

I prefer to use just a standard patch with glue when it’s right at the bead.

13thfloormonk

I wondered if cutting up an old latex tube might work, I’ve had a lot of success patching other latex tubes with cut-offs from a sacrificial tube. The latex seems to stick pretty well using normal vulcanising fluid, and off course is very supple so seems well suited to the sharp angle it has to wrap around at the bead.

I have a pinched rear gravel tyre to repair, might give it a shot myself actually…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another vote for plug (mushroom) patch. Worked a treat for me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, what Tracey said.

fathomer

I’ve always just stuck a normal tubeless worm in. Works a treat.

oldnick

Did mine with worms as that is what I had in my pack. They worked fine so they stayed there.

bearGrease

I’ve done two right on the bead with mushroom plugs as per Tracey and they’ve held up fine.

Northwind

TBH I don’t think you can go too far with any decent fix- patch, small mushroom, and even a temporary worm can be good enough to be permanent. Bead holes tend to be small so you’ve got a lot of choice

(I used to think mushrooms were a bad option here but that was just because I hadn’t tried a smaller one- mushrooms are the best repair for mid size holes so I saw them as a mid size holes fix. But I still think patches are overall the simplest for bead pinches)

Superficial
    Free Member

Haven’t used the mushrooms, but have successfully used normal patches + glue several times.

P20

Thank you all. Will have a proper look at it and give the plugs a go

reeksy

Done a few with dynaplug no problems.

sillyoldman

Dynaplug has worked every time for me too.

ayjaydoubleyou

I wondered if cutting up an old latex tube might work, I’ve had a lot of success patching other latex tubes with cut-offs from a sacrificial tube. The latex seems to stick pretty well using normal vulcanising fluid, and off course is very supple so seems well suited to the sharp angle it has to wrap around at the bead.

I tried latex tubes once, in tyres that had had sealant in them previously. The tubes disintegrated (like properly completely come to pieces) within a day. Can only assume it was something in the sealant?

Stans, about 2015ish.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve done mushrooms and plugs.

Both have worked until the end of the tyres life, but there was markedly less work shoving a plug in and leaving it. No need to take the wheel out, no need to take the tyre off.

It you can live with a small amount of plug protruding, it’s far and away the best option for the least work.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Snakebite Repair on tyre bead ~ best option?’ is closed to new replies.