Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • smoking…….sorry..
  • corroded
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll be able to stop as long as you are ‘trying’ to stop. It never worked for me. One day i just said ‘**** it, I don’t smoke anymore’. No problem. If a wee craving came on you just have to MTFU

without wanting to make people feel bad, when you ‘actually want’ to stop, it’s really easy. It’s very very hard if you don’t really want to

This is the approach that worked for me. Started at 14 and after more than a decade was up to 40/day. It had its moments, but I knew when enough was enough and stopped overnight. I think that if you’ve got family, a partner and colleagues who smoke you’ve got your work cut out for you. Smoker solidarity is strong and you’ll be rejecting not just the cigs but the camaraderie, the rituals etc. If you know you want to give up, chuck out all smoking paraphernalia (lighters, rizlas, tins, ashtrays), ask your partner to smoke outside the house (when your sense of smell returns you’ll be shocked at the stench of curtains etc) and perhaps tie in giving up with a holiday, to give yourself a head start. It’s quite handy to have the option of going for a swim or a ride when the craving arrives, rather than watching your friends light up. Good luck.

genghispod
    Free Member

I gave up on 7/3/11 after 32 years of smoking. I would like to add two things – 1) I was scared, essentially of the cravings. Everyone says “I gave up 10 years ago and still need a fag.” Well don’t be scared – once you’re off the physical addiction to nicotene, the mental addiction is just a state of mind.
    2) You have to want to give up. There is a part of your mind that wants to not be an addict anymore. For me it was perhaps a masculine thing of not wanting to be dominated by a chemical addiction. Don’t think I’m being sanctimonious here – my alcohol habit has worsened since I stopped smoking. That’s the next thing to deal with.
    3) Let me add a third comment – everyone supposes that NRT treatment is better and for some it may be; I tried full strength patches for 4 days then went cold turkey for 3, as the patches were **** with my mind. That experience of 3 days cold turkey is what has stopped me relapsing.

Hey anyway, to each his own, and for all of you who wish to quit you have my support.

samuri
    Free Member

I gave up 10 years ago and still need a fag.

I’d say those people are arseholes. And lying. They’ve not quit.

I didn’t need a cig after less than twelve months. I know the kick though. Those triggers. For me it was coffee and beer.

Hohum
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    I gave up 10 years ago and still need a fag.

I’d say those people are arseholes. And lying. They’ve not quit.

I didn’t need a cig after less than twelve months. I know the kick though. Those triggers. For me it was coffee and beer.

Hmmm “aresholes” eh?

I would say that is very harsh.

Smoking is very individual, the addiction varies from non-existant to something that consumes you.

I gave up almost 2 years ago and as an addict I would say that I still get the pangs for that one second hit one nicotine through my blood and into my brain and then, poof, it’s gone!

For those who are trying to give it, keep at it and try all of the different ways that are available nowadays. I reckon there has never been a better time to give up as smokers are now seen as the outcasts by both society and governmental regulation.

Good luck 🙂

rickmeister

Hi Gibbo… loads of suggestions on here, the first step people have mentioned is the motivation to do it, whatever it is, health, cash, feel good factor, not smelling like an ash tray, tasting food, fitter, whatever…

Once thats sorted, pick your method, cold turkey, Alan Carr, e-fags…. the one that worked for me, as I knew it was credible as a method, was hypnotherapy. 2 sessions and that was it. £80 all up and like switching a light on. One day smoking, next day nothing and no side effects or cravings… but I accept its not for everyone.

If you and your partner stopped, imagine what you could do with £10 a day, £310 a month, £3720 a year….

All power to your elbow… there is nothing to loose and everything to gain…. if your going to do it, see it through and dont be another nearly quitter….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Some people on here have no great clue about addictions. It varies from individual to individual. I really wanted to stop smoking and it was very hard for me with physical symptoms that were most unpleasant. NRT was a great help to me.

I will be one of those people who will always have cravings I think – but unlike some I was very heavily addicted to tobacco.

therag
    Free Member

Day 1 nearly done. This is not easy but it will be worth it!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Keep it up therag! The first day is the hardest

therag
    Free Member

Well into day 2 now. Bike cleaning operation is taking place to keep the mind away from smoking

SnS
    Free Member

I’m doing the e-cig route.

Not using it like a conventional cigarette with multiple draws, just a quick single hit as required. – This being not as often as I would have expected.
    Must have missed something as it’s turning out to be totally painless ! ( happily)

Tried a few times over the years going cold turkey (…at other half’s ‘suggestion’) – invariably after two or three days, I was feeling borderline psychopathic.

So far, I’m really really happy the way it’s turning out !
    ( been just over a week now)

Chris

therag
    Free Member

Well done, glad its going well for you. I’ve just got an ecig or something similar from a petrol station and got the chewing gum now. Not easy though!

LapSteel
    Free Member

I smoked for over 30 years…used to enjoy the ones on the bike when I reached the top of the hill but decided to pack it in along with my partner about 18 months ago. Didnt think I could do it…didnt really want to but havent had one since. Went the cold turkey route and personally think this is the best (and cheapest) way. I used to believe I would be a smoker up to my dying day but now even though I still get the odd craving they only last a matter of seconds and then you just get on with your life.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My father stopped by deciding one day. From that point on he set up an automatic transfer of cash into a seperate bank account for the amount he spent per month on smoking, so he couldn’t afford to start again without doing some admin work. He bought a small speedboat with the savings, which then kept him entertained and the cash flow outgoing for running costs 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Well done therag and SnS!

Keep it up. It’s not easy, but so worth it 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

When I gave up I went for fag breaks with my mates at work still but just chatted and stood with them being a non-smoker. Being a smug c@nt really helped me :mrgreen: What works for one may not work for another but I saw no advantage in half measures or dithering because you will go to the pub, be offered one in the van, finish a big fat curry, get stressed etc and its these trigger moments you need to be tough for.

Ten years plus now of no tobacco and its great. Do it and you won’t regret it.

therag
    Free Member

7 days now. Still going, just been out on a night ride to celebrate 😉

ask1974
    Free Member

Just stop. Try to avoid situations that make you reach for fags (pub etc…) and do as much excercise as possible. Make yourself feel as good as you can so the guilt of smoking increases. Worked for me on the third attempt – first two attempts stopping wasn’t enough, needed to make a subtle lifestyle change as well.

Haven’t read the thread all the way through, but if your partner smokes indoors you’ll obviously need to put a stop to that. Have kids? That was the driving force for me… The responsibility of making sure I was there for them in later life made me feel like a dickhead for smoking.

On the plus side I after a few months I realised the amount of money I was saving… When the urge to get a new bike hit I gleefully spent a shit load guilt free 😛

therag
    Free Member

Yeah, got 2 kids so they help, so do the rewards. Not smoking is costing a fortune in rewards. New urge lid, sealskins & shorts this week! 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve avoided this thread until now. The cigarettes are my last vice; I train hard, eat well and don’t drink much BUT the cigs have been a bloody nightmare. I’ve had the tablets, patches and even managed to give up for a year with the help of Mr Carr. One slip up on a night out and I was smoking again. Nevertheless, I keep trying and I’m now 2 days clear. I feel pretty determined, and also know what to expect after last time.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Some great stories here – @therag, @wrecker, keep it up. I’m clear of the fags now, I think it’s been 2 months (smoked 40-100 a day before that).

gravitysucks
    Free Member

M
    T
    F
    U

M
    T
    F
    U

M
    T
    F
    U

Oh & goodluck 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Over a week now!
    My lungs feel like they’re down to about 50% though. They just won’t fill up. I understand that the mucus hairs or whatever are growing back and it’ll take weeks just to get to how I was when I was smoking!!! 😕

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Day 8 for me. I’ve had to cut out alcohol though too – absolutely no self-control when it comes to smoking after a drink.

Hohum
    Free Member

Well done whippersnapper!

Keep it up.

Concentrate on staying off the cigarettes. I am sure that after a while you will be able to drink again, but not too much as you would not want to undo all of your good work.

chewkw
    Free Member

My last 25g of tobacco and that’s it. No more … 😐

Hohum
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    My last 25g of tobacco and that’s it. No more …

Good luck chewkw!

Giving up smoking isn’t easy, but lots of people have stopped and stayed stopped. Remember that quitting won’t kill you, but carrying on will!

therag
    Free Member

4 weeks today, I still want a smoke but got to keep going!

LoCo
    Free Member

Keep it up! 2 months (I think) now and still want a fag and am a bit grumpy (some people would say that’s normal 👿 )

But still no cigarettes, have put on a stone though 😳

therag
    Free Member

Nice one. Yeah I’m eating my fair share

LoCo
    Free Member

new winter hack frame on it’s way to me so will be getting out in earnest as soon as that’s built to shift my little pot belly 😀

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

two weeks given up for me, thankfully the cravings are not too bad. yesterday was first bike ride where i noticed a significant difference in lung capacity. did have quite bad cravings in the afternoon afterwards, just got to stick with it though.

therag
    Free Member

Well done bob.
    I’m riding more often to help keep wait off & to keep my mind occupied

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

i’m using it as an excuse to eat what i want, not particularly putting weight on cos i caught some gastro disease prior to giving up, but if i do, i have ready made excuse. CHIPS AND CHOCOLATE FOR EVERYBODY. 😀

and well done to everbody who’s still there.

alpin
    Free Member

mmmm….

although personally i prefer this:

this month i’m a non-smoker. the month before i was. whereas for several months prior i wasn’t. i seem to go through phases of wanting a smoke. i’ll have a ciggie after lunch or during work and then at some point i’ll just decide that i don’t want to smoke and will just “give up”.

i find i enjoy a smoke in summer after a ride with a beer or when driving long distances, so i end up smoking often during the summer.

my old man smoked from the age of 12 till he was 63. now only 20% of his lungs actually work. he has trouble walkning any distance. enough of a reason to stop.
    strangley my mum still smokes, but, in her words “only silk cut lights so it doesn’t count”. 😕

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘smoking…….sorry..’ is closed to new replies.