Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Smashpot Users
  • doomanic

I’m about to press the button but I’m not sure which spring rate to go for.

How heavy are you, what travel do you run and what spring rate do you use?

RichPenny
    Free Member

105,170,155 🙂 On a levo, so was wavering between 150 and 155. It’s really nice 🙂

doomanic

Do you mean 50 and 55?

singlespeedstu

82KG
    180 Fox 36 27.5 45lbs
    150 Fox 36 29er 55lbs

lardman
    Free Member

115kgs, 180mm Yari, 50lbs spring.

It’s just about OK, as i’m between this and the 55lbs spring really. The HBO takes care of things when it’s a little undersprung for my rough-as-f•ck riding style tho.

spanishfly
    Free Member

170mm Lyrik, 72kg 40lbs/ “

Northwind

160mm 29er 36s, 70kg, and 50. Their guide recommended me between 40 and 45, but as they didn’t have the 45 I went to 40, and it was a fair bit too soft, so I decided to jump to the 50 and I think it’s right for me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ah sorry, yep, 50 and 55.

doomanic

I forgot to ask, were you all aiming for soft, medium or firm?

mashr

If everyone could now revise their posts to also show sag it’d be appreciated 😀

doomanic

Good point…

Bugger off! 😀

Northwind

doomanic
    Subscriber

I forgot to ask, were you all aiming for soft, medium or firm?

Fairly firm. (tbh I think this is more or less what coil forks are for… Getting a good supportive spring rate, without choking up and being unresponsive. Air forks are perfectly capable of being responsive but blobby. I definitely have the fork a little firmer in terms of spring rate than I did on air, but that’s because I was always trying to get a balance between support and small bump, and it didn’t really exist. Now, it kinda does)

YMMV of course- I still reckon the best fork ever made is the rc2 mico lyrik coil, basically a pocket-boxxer. Practically nobody agrees though.

schmung
    Free Member

60kg, 160mm pikes and 40lb spring

I was more like 65-68kg when I got it and ended up with the 45lb spring which was a tad firm, but found the 40lb too soft. Probably could have fixed it with tuning, but everything works a lot better now.

lardman
    Free Member

I wanted something quite supple, so was happy to go slightly undersprung TBH.

It’s running about 25% sag, and even in the Alps with a few sketch landings I never felt it bottom out.

In fact, one particular landing I could def feel the effect of the HBO. Like landing on a big cushion.

I’m running a ‘Yari-up’ damper replacement, but reckon I will change this out for a better damper soon.

mashr

@schmung, roughly how much sag are you getting with that setup? I’m a very similar weight and looking at a 160mm kit for a Lyrik so should be able to copy you depending on how you like your fork setup

schmung
    Free Member

I get somewhere around the 20 mark. Never had full travel out of it but I end up near the bit where the hydraulic bottom out kicks in on most rides and go into it if I do something particularly stupid so that works fine for me. Gives me the traction I want on the nadgery stuff, holds up on the steeps and saves me if I do something daft.

I’ve got a new bike on order so guess I’ll be selling it in the new year.

mashr

Around 20 sounds good to me

mashr

Gah, finally getting round to ordering but 40lb springs are out of stock…. wonder if a 35 would work? (62kg + kit, 170mm and 22%[ish] sag)

mashr

Wee update that may be of use to some. After installing mine in the winter I was pretty doubtful of the Lyle’s Golden Syrup that they want to use in place of normal weight of oil. Given my weight and the fact most of my riding is pretty early and the rest is in Scotland anyway I figured I’d have a play. I’ve now shoved in a load of 10wt oil instead of the 25wt, seems better for me. Still running the bottom out fully open, and it’s giving the sort of ramp up I need/want. I felt that (certainly in the cold) the 25wt was really more agressive than i was after

I also wonder if a lighter oil + tweak the shim stack might be a good option for folk in cooler climates in general? (as they do recommend lighter oil for colder conditions anyway, but who want to keep changing fork all)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Smashpot Users’ is closed to new replies.