Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Smartphones- far too much choice!
  • cokie

Need to replace my aging Iphone.
    I’ve had it 5 years and it’s ridiclously slow now and I ran out of memory on day dot.

I’m looking for a smartphone with the following features;
    – Great Camera (not to replace the DSLR, but compliment it)
    – 128gb minimum
    – Water resistant
    – Wireless charging
    – Not too much larger than an iPhone 6
    – Budget around £400

The range of phones and manufactureres is staggering now. It sounds like Honour/Huawei are on lockdown and restricting app content?

Cougar

Seems an obvious choice:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6044321

cokie

Am I not missing out on:
    – Larger screen ratio
    – Wireless charging
    – Better camera
    – Water resistant
    – Bigger battery

Kryton57

Motorola ONE is down to £185 on Amazon today.  At £446 Amazon have the Samsung S9 and the S8 is sitting at £335.

dannybgoode

Samsung A70 for a big big screen or A50 for a big screen. Really very good – I have the A70 and it’s a smasher

sarawak
    Free Member

. It sounds like Honour/Huawei are on lockdown and restricting app conten

Big advert in yesterday’s papers from Huwaei claiming that all apps are available and working normally. But they would say that, wouldn’t they?

xora

The problem with Huawei is not the apps its future security upgrades (although apparently they rarely issue them anyway).

BUT Huawei is transferring a lot of its operations to Futurewei in USA which is not on the Entity List and can therefore continue as normal.

Cougar

Am I not missing out on:
    – Larger screen ratio
    – Wireless charging
    – Better camera
    – Water resistant
    – Bigger battery

I don’t know specifically about the iPhone 6 but iPhone cameras are generally regarded as pretty much best-in-class or close. Water resistant can be achieved with a decent case. Wireless charging, perhaps. The rest weren’t on your original wishlist and we’re not psychic.

My thinking was more that with a five-year old phone you’ve presumably invested in the infrastructure, if you move to Android then you’re buying all your apps again. Plus you’re changing systems which some folk cope with better than others.

sarawak
    Free Member

We are getting into the iPhone Android debate.
    FWIW I left iPhone because I didn’t like their control freakery and haven’t regretted it.
    A very small learning curve, now I’m cooking on gas.
    YMMV!

cokie

Thanks for all the advice all.

Drac, I can’t name a newer phone on the market with a smaller battery or less screen than the 6. I guess I’m looking to buy something that will last another 5 years but with incremental improvements, as above.

I’ve bought maybe two apps that I’m not precious of. All my music is via spotify premium, so not tied to Apple at all. I guess the other choice could be a used/refrubed iPhone X, but then I’m looking at £600.

Not bothererd about OS. I use Android at work and it’s been good. Providing I have a good sized app stores, I’m not bothered what the phone is really.

Drac

Drac, I can’t name a newer phone on the market with a smaller battery or less screen than the 6.

I never said anything.

Poldarn
    Free Member

My research and low budget has led me to the Google Pixel 3. The camera is meant to be very good. Doesn’t tick your boxes but thought it might help you.

johnners
    Free Member

I never said anything.

You all look the same to us.

Flaperon

Google Pixel 3? 128GB version goes for just under £400 on eBay.

Seems to tick all the boxes you’re after.

simonalex99

Xiaomi or honor

cokie

I think I’ve narrowed it down to;
    – Xiaomi Mi 9
    – Huawei P30 Lite
    – Pixel 3 used
    – Iphone X used

Just worried some of the bigger phones will turn into a brick once you hadd a tough cover.

Del

If pixel 3 is on your list also look at the pocophone F1. Same basic spec, not quite such a flash screen but still nice, and also adds as card slot and headphone jack. Same camera sensor as the pixel. Very pleased with mine.

hb70

In the traditional singletrack this is what I’ve bought https://www.ebuyer.com/868428-xiaomi-mi-8-pro-6-21-amoled-8gb-128gb-ai-dual-camera-smartphone-mzb6999en I got this on Saturday. 8gb and 128gb for £300. Ludicrously fast.

Bimbler
    Free Member

FWIW I left Android because I didn’t like the seemingly out of control spying and privacy issues on Googles platform, plus the longevity of iPhones, the 6S is 4 years old and still running the very latest software still fast (ish) not (at all) laggy. Unless you’re rooting Androids I don’t think there is a single Android phone of that generation running current software? Admittedly Apples control freakery is annoying but I haven’t regretted the switch at all.

bails

hb70: I’ve got a Xiaomi Mi5 which is 2 and a half years old and still running really well.

fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

Do any of these cheap Chinese phones have android pay as that is a deal breaker for me

Flaperon

Both the Xiaomi Mi 9 and Mi 9 SE work with Google Pay.

kiwijohn

I went from iPhone 6 to XR. It’s worth it.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Other than for the facial recognition, which is crap, and the lack of a finger scanner, which means you have to use the crap’o’recogniser all the time

PePPeR

My mi8 works with Android pay, it does have a GPS location issue which is well known, but I’ve sorted that out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Other than for the facial recognition, which is crap, and the lack of a finger scanner, which means you have to use the crap’o’recogniser all the time

maybe you have some sort of wierd face that morphs with time ? Mine works fine, even in surprisingly dark lighting.

The finger scanner doesn’t always work well either if your finger is wet/has something on it.

And you can always enter the code.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why not a refurb iPhone XR instead of an X – better battery for a start.

The processor on the latest iPhones has so much grunt it will be years before it struggles.

I got my 256Gb iphone XR last black friday with 100Gb contract on o2 for a deal which basically works out a HP for the phone with a free contract.

Look at mobiles.co.uk who are really carphone warehouse but often have better deals, although some of them involve you remembering to make redemption claims which you can now do online and are not much hassle.

Restrictions with music seem to be the only issue moving frmo android, and moving my whatsapp messages was a slight pain.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Smartphones- far too much choice!’ is closed to new replies.