• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skids.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Smart meter puzzle
  • paul4stones

We’ve fairly recently got a smart meter with Ovo. Still at the novelty stage of trying to work out what uses all the juice but puzzled by a consistent spike in usage at 1am. It works out at about 30p which, for context, is about half the overnight usage. Now I reckon that’s over £100 a year but I can’t think what on earth it is. Any ideas? We’ve got all the usual stuff, smart TV, laptops, tablets, fridge freezers, etc. but nothing that leaps out as using that amount at that time.

bruneep

retrorick

How long does the spike last? How much power does this equate too? 2Kw?

munkster
    Free Member

You haven’t got a storage heater under the stairs you weren’t aware of have you? 😉

paul4stones

It looks like about 300Wh and is absolutely round 1am but I can’t say from the graph how long it lasts.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

I’d say its the fridge or freezer compressor kicking it. Check the stat setting.

stumpy01

Immersion heater on one of those old pin and wheel mechanical timers set for a very short duration….?

xora

All the windows laptops waking up to check updates at 1am!

skids
    Free Member

Standing charge?

wiggles
    Free Member

Probably standing charge being applied

paul4stones

There’s no immersion or storage heaters. Not sure why the fridge freezer would start consistently at 1am.
    I’m going to unplug all the laptops and TV and see if that affects it!

retrorick

So how much do you pay per kWh for your leccy? I pay around 15p/kw so to spend 30p I’d need to run something for 2hrs at 1kw/hr.
    300w/hr would cost me around 5p per hour.
    Apologies in advance for the wrong units etc.

retrorick

If companies apply a standing charge by ‘altering’ usage won’t that skew the whole network so supply companies will think they need to produce more power than is necessary?

skids
    Free Member

I presume this info is coming from the monitor and not the actual meter

Stevet1
    Free Member

It’s the standing charge, ours from British gas does the same.

Flaperon

Could be the monitor is showing funky readings – depending on how it works the actual electricity use could be different. Worth checking on the Ovo website to see the actual readings (apologies if you’ve already done this).

If you can be bothered to wait up until 1 am then just go to your consumer unit with the energy meter in your hand and start throwing breakers in order until the use drops to a normal level. You’ll at least have narrowed down the options, or identified a fault in the meter or monitor.

DT78
    Free Member

Had this on electricity. Was standing charge

scaredypants

standing charge

Am I misunderstanding – they can manipulate meter readings in order to make it look as though you’ve used more powwah?

That sounds fairly dodgy

(or are they just adding to the bill, inwhich case why present it as a power spike rather than just “standing charge, 30p” ?)

paul4stones

Standing charge makes sense. The smart meter graph is basic so it could just appear as a spike.

Still going to turn all the computers off though 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So they add on standard charge, which increases the units used, and then they charge you for units used on top as well ?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Nope on ours it just shows how much money each utility has cost you, so both get a small spike at 1am which is the standing charge for delivering the services, it’s not a spike in ‘usage’ but in cost.

skids
    Free Member

You got to remember that the monitor thing is for your benefit only, they don’t use that. If you go and look at the actual electricity meter then it will not be ‘spiking’

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Smart meter puzzle’ is closed to new replies.