• This topic has 37 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Small "walkabout" camera
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’m looking at something like the Panasonic LX7 or GM1 for landscapes and general photography antics on walks.

It will be instead of taking my SLR so I’d want good RAW and manual exposure functionality.

Any experiences/suggestions?

Cougar

Want to buy a second-hand GF2? (-:

mikey74
    Free Member

How much? Why are you looking to get rid of it?

DrJ

Sony RX100 – mk 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on budget.

(ps – mikey, I didn’t forget)

Cougar

How much? Why are you looking to get rid of it?

Dunno, I’ll have to see what they’re going for on eBay.

Selling as it’s my OH’s and she never uses it. It was a failed attempt to get her into photography, but she prefers just to use her iPhone.

Cougar

Going rate with the kit lens and the 14mm (IIRC) prime ‘pancake’ lens looks to be around the £200 mark.

mikey74
    Free Member

Feel free to email me with pics and a price.

Cougar

Is Monday ok? I’ve left my own camera at work.

Cougar

I posted it in the classifieds about a year ago, more details here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-panasonic-lumix-fs2-camera

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Fuji X100-T. It obviously has a fixed focal length, but the quality seems to be very good and it’s a very pleasant thing to use.

🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!

I’m looking at the Sony RX100 at the moment. Any experience of this one?

DrJ

I have the mk 1 and if it broke I’d buy another immediately. In fact I keep hoping it breaks so I can justify upgrading to the mk4.

dannybgoode

What zoom range do you want? If you’re looking at the RX100 also look at the Canon G1X II and the G9 and Panasonic LX100.

All great cameras.

jam-bo

Is the mk1 RX100 still worth looking at? Quite cheap on Amazon.

dannybgoode

It’s still a good camera but somewhat dated now. The mkII was a big step up though, the mkIII not really worth upgrading from the II from and then IV is by all accounts king of the hill.

For proper landscapes though you’ll miss a dslr…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Still using my RX100 mk1 for walkabouts it’s v good*

*With an added grip, and some practice.

mudmuncher

Also have RX100 mk1.

Really pleased with it. The video recording is also excellent, better than the dedicated video cam I have.

You can do a camera search on Flickr for any camera model to get an idea of the image quality.

Edit- noticed you want to do landscapes. RX100 only goes down to 28mm equivalent length, which is pretty standard, however 24mm or lower would be nice for landscapes, but not sure if there is anything about with that focal length similar size and price to the RX100 with the 1″ sensor.

colster808
    Free Member

Just bought the Sony rx100 mk1. Seems a loverly thing. Pictures are by far the best I’ve taken by just using the auto functions. You can shoot in raw and adjust apature, shutter speed and much more. This is the first decent camera I’ve owned so can’t compare to others .

Plus’s for me are easy to use straight out the box. Lots of options to tinker with as I learn more about taking photos. Solid build. Picture quality is superb.

Negatives for me, no WiFi, mtg or tilt screen .

If you choose to get one I’d also recommend the pelican 1010 case. Perfect fit and keeps water, dust out so camera can be safe a bottom of a bag on rides, hikes and beach trips.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Difficult subject – nailed it perfectly:

And two frames stitched together (low light, rested on surface):

Sure I’ll upgrade one day but I don’t really feel I’m missing anything with the MK1 – ie it does most everything I ask of it.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers folks. It sounds like the RX100 is the one. A slightly wider lens would be good but difficult to get without spending a lot more.

mudmuncher

Got mine from John Lewis 6 months ago – notice they are still doing a great price and £30 cash back + you get 2yr guarantee, might work out better than Amazon.

jonwe
    Free Member

Another very happy Sony rx100 user here. You do need to rtfm though to get the most out of it.

mikey74
    Free Member

Although there is also the Panasonic LX7, which sounds good in the review I’ve just read.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Fuji X30 here – does all you ask, digital viewfinder is great, wifi transfers pics easily to my iPad, full manual control etc etc and fits in my Stem Cell when on the bike. Can’t fault it and am very happy i traded all my Olympus kit for it.

dannybgoode

@MrTricky-good shot. Love the xtrans sensor and that is on my list of serious compacts to consider when funds allow.

At the moment is consolidated my camera collection and am now rocking a 5D mkIII for serious work and have just picked up a Panasonic LF1 which considering its a proper pocket camera gives really excellent results.

Good price atm at £150 also. OK if doesn’t quite rival some of those being mentioned for outright image quality but it shoots raw and has manual controls and is about the size of a deck of cards and image quality is very good considering…

mudmuncher

Although there is also the Panasonic LX7, which sounds good in the review I’ve just read.

That was also on my shortlist, but when I saw it in the flesh it is quite a bit bulkier than the rx100, so depends how important pocketability is to you.

mudmuncher

forgot to mention, one of the best features of the rx100 is you can tilt the flash back with your finger and bounce off the ceiling.

Never normally like the unnatural results on compacts with a fixed flash but when you bounce off the ceiling you can’t even tell the flash has been used. Don’t think there is another compact on the market that can do this and very surprised Sony don’t even mention it in their blurb. Also has flash comp setting so you can tone the flash down even further.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Re LX7 vs RX100

Interesting discussion here http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3482654#forum-post-51402280

grum
    Free Member

Got an RX100 mk I for about £200 – really impressed with it. Think the later versions have a wider lens?

mikey74
    Free Member

Where from?

On balance, I think the wider lens on the Pana will be more use to me than the tilting flash on the Sony, purely down to the fact that I’m not particularly interested in doing lots of indoor photography.

DrJ

The rx100 has double the pixels of the lx7. That’s a big sacrifice for 4mm wider angle!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

More importantly the rx100 sensor is 13.2mm x 8.8mm, the lx7 is 7.4mm x 5.6mm. That puts them in different categories of camera.

matt_outandabout

We had a Ricoh CX4 (now CX6 is model) and in a similar vein to the Sony, and for significantly less cash.

Great lens and good sensor, good pics from it – now RAW was only downside.

A shame I drowned it. 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not similar to the sony as it has a 6.17 x 4.55mm sensor. More similar to a phone.

mikey74
    Free Member

The rx100 has double the pixels of the lx7. That’s a big sacrifice for 4mm wider angle!!

I’m not convinced by the pixel war, particularly on smaller sensors so, in isolation, I’m not overly concerned by the difference is resolution. However, I do appreciate that the Sony has a larger sensor, which makes the higher pixel count more appropriate.

Looking at it, I think I will get the Sony, I’m just trying to find the cheapest price. So far, expedite electronics is the winner @ £215.

BillMC

RX100 you will not be disappointed

DrJ

However, I do appreciate that the Sony has a larger sensor, which makes the higher pixel count more appropriate.

Yep – the Sony has double the pixels on more than double the sensor size, so it wins in all sensor departments 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Small "walkabout" camera’ is closed to new replies.