Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Small good quality camera
  • timidwheeler

I would like an easy to carry on the bike camera that is noticeably better than my Samsung S10 phone. It would be nice to be able to print at A4 in good quality. We both have SLRs so this is about quality vs portability.

Any suggestions? Something like a G7 looks small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. While a mirrorless is much bigger once you attach a lens but has anyone found a convenient and light way to safely carry one? Mr TW wants a Canon M100 but I’m thinking a Sony RX100 or Canon G7.

Thank you for any advice.

el_boufador

After killing several cameras mtbing, now have an Olympus tough tg4. Later ones will be better.
    Not quite as good images as my SLRs, but a hell of a lot tougher/more suitable.

aP
    Free Member

My RX100/4 produces good pictures but I’m not hugely convinced by the build quality. The battery doesn’t last that long whilst being stored so needs to be charged regularly.
    I like the pop up viewfinder, but my much older Nikon V1 is nearly as good quality but feels much more well built. Lots of lenses available too.

jp-t853

I use an rx100 when biking I use a neoprene case to protect it. It is a great size to carry everywhere and leave the phone at home

ampthill

I’d say rx100 and a protective case

But unless you edit RAW I’m not sure it would be better than an S10. Have you tried printing the photos from it

kynasf
    Free Member

I’ll sometimes bring an Olympus ep5 mirrorless with me on the road bike. It fits in a small restrap frame bag, along with 17mm and 45mm lenses. If I’m on the mtb it just goes in a small dry bag in the backpack. I keep meaning to get a Tenba boyb camera insert which would give it much more protection.

lunge

iPhone 11 Pro.
    The camera is so, so good. Only issue is it doesn’t shoot in RAW which is only an issue if you’re into heavy editing IMO.

iancity1
    Free Member

Had this issue myself for a while and did a load of research – eventually decided on the canon M100 and love it, ticked all the boxes for me. Carrying it with a lens does mean some adjustments if using frame bags but to be honest I just pop it in the rucksack now…have been a few times I have been out and taken photos that I would never have considered if just had my phone on me, it makes me look for photographic opportunities on the ride i feel, if that makes sense!
    Eventually got rid of the DSLR I had as was just using the Canon in every situation, on or off the bike, no complaints from me.

Neb

GoPro hero 8 black? Takes better photos than my tg4 tough camera. Obviously does the whole video thing too. It’s also tiny and fully waterproof without a case.

I bought my wife one for her birthday to take on adventures when the big camera just gets in the way.

harvey
    Free Member

i recently bought a sony rx100 after several panasonic tz models. really delighted with it. it is the mark 1, they are still available new at good value, ie under £300

petec
    Free Member

i’ve got a M100, with a 22mm prime lens. It’s very good…

with the small lens, it’s small enough to throw in any pocket. Excellent photos

and it’ll take all the lenses off my SLR (With an adaptor)

CraigW
    Free Member

For small mirrorless, I’m using a Lumix GX800. With the kit zoom or a small prime, it fits in an Alpkit Stem Cell. Easy to get the camera out and take a photo. The bag is quite well padded, though not sure if tough enough for proper mountain biking.

For really small, tough, waterproof, the Sony RX0 is nice. Same sensor as the RX100, so pretty decent quality. And plenty of manual options if you want. Though the buttons can be bit too small and fiddly.

jp-t853

If you get an rx100 put a grip on it because they are like a bar of soap without it

CountZero

iPhone 11 Pro.
    The camera is so, so good. Only issue is it doesn’t shoot in RAW which is only an issue if you’re into heavy editing IMO.

Yes, you can, if you use the Halide app, but you can only use the wide and telephoto lenses, not the extra-wide.

How to Shoot RAW Photos on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max

timidwheeler

Cheers all, that was very helpful. I think we are going to start with the M100 in an Alpkit Stem cell, we have found a good deal on a bundle which includes the 22mm prime. It also helps that Mr TW’s lenses will fit it with the adapter.

jimdubleyou

Where did you see that kit if you don’t mind sharing @timidwheeler?

I see Argos have it at £399 – any better than that?

timidwheeler

Nope, It was Argos at £399.

petec
    Free Member

it has been cheaper at argos – It’s what i got 3 months ago for £349. It may come down again

This was the adapter I got https://www.amazon.co.uk/VILTROX-EF-EOS-Adapter-Converter-Camera/dp/B074W83PZD. It does work well, but the camera is a little unbalanced with a big lens (small camera of course). The adapter does have a tripod mount though.

spectabilis
    Free Member

CountZero

iPhone 11 Pro.

Yes, you can, if you use the Halide app, but you can only use the wide and telephoto lenses, not the extra-wide.

Strange, all lenses are available with Halide on mine.

Edit: just checked, right you are. It changes the setting when you switch to 0.5 , never noticed that before !

spectabilis
    Free Member

And so to add some useful input to the thread I’ll add a recommendation for something from Olympus, maybe PEN or the OMD range – tough little weather proofed (some models) cameras.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Small good quality camera’ is closed to new replies.