Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Small Front Lights
  • singlespeedstu

Looking for something to replace one of these Alpkit front lights that’s died.

Must be small, USB rechargeable, waterproofish and not need a bracket that bolts to the bike.
    What you commuter types using?

singlespeedstu

Thanks Simon.
    What kind of size are they? There’s no dimensions on the link
    Forgot to add must fit a 35mm bar.

kiwijohn

Knog.

simondbarnes

What kind of size are they?

The rear I have here is approx 35x28x28mm

I don’t have a 35mm bar but the strap looks like it will go around one comfortably.

singlespeedstu

Ta.

tthew

Those Trek ones would worry me if being used on their own, they don’t look to have much in the way of sideways visibility.

I’ve got a Magicshine Alty from PlanetX, nice wrap around front lens and held on with a bracketless rubber strap. Battery life is a bit shorter than I’d like but it’s plenty bright even on its lower setting.

slowoldman

Isn’t the answer always Exposure? I have Trace and TraceR front and rear.

Elbows

New wheel with Dynamo, one of those ‘why didn’t I do this before?’ decisions

joebristol

I have mostly Moon branded lights other than a bikehut one and a Brite-R one. The Moon feel the most robust and I commute a number of days a week with them in all weathers.

On my commuter bike I have 2 front lights – a Moon Vortex and a Moon Meteor x Auto. If I had to just have one it would be e Vortex as it has a steady on setting with a brighter flash through it. The other one is either flashing or solid. I tend to commute with the Vortex on that pulse setting and the Meteor on a solid but not highest power setting. Maybe charge once a week or once every other week depending on the length of the route I take / how many times I commute.

Both have solid mounts that work on 35mm bars or road bars and just have a firm rubber fitting (no bolts). You can also leave the mount on and slide the light off the top if you want to take it with you.

Think the Meter is sub £20 and the Vortex is sub £30. They do make a cheaper again Meteor for sub £15 but I’ve not tried that one.

The Vortex does also have a max power of 600 lumens and the Meteor 400 lumens but apart from an unlit bit of tow path and the Bristol / Bath cycle path in the unlit bits I haven’t needed that sort of power for commuting.

Both lights are usb cable rechargeable.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15905165/moonlights-meteor-c1-rechargeable-front-bike-light-15905165

Any good, or too big?
    70mm long x 40mm wide and surprisingly powerful. I got one for my boy’s bike at Xmas. Good bit of kit for the money 👍

torchythebatteryboy
    Free Member

M-Tigersports CT09CT09 front
    on bars
    Waterproof

joebristol

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15905165/moonlights-meteor-c1-rechargeable-front-bike-light-15905165

Any good, or too big?
    70mm long x 40mm wide and surprisingly powerful. I got one for my boy’s bike at Xmas. Good bit of kit for the money 👍

I haven’t used one of those myself but they had it in the shop when I got the meteor auto x and it looked a nice compact little light tbf.

kilo

Trace and trace r +1

singlespeedstu

Thanks for all the suggestions but I’m really looking for something small like the Alpkit one in the OP.
    Anyone got/had a Lezyne strip drive 400?

ampthill

I’d say trace. Looks odd in a picture but works well in practice

Ok that’s based on owning a trace r

They are about £35 and tiny

https://road.cc/content/review/258307-exposure-trace-daybright

singlespeedstu

Already have a trace R for the rear and as great as it has been i’m looking for something that sits on the front of the bar without a bracket as such.

joebristol

That moon meteor above is pretty tiny actually. I don’t mind my Lezyne pump but I wouldn’t buy one of their lights.
    Tried to find a link with a picture of it on the bars – see below about halfway down the first page. Also linked to Merlin where they’re selling it for less than £20.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moon.meteor+c3+on.handlebars&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiBltSzgqLnAhUa_RoKHRAdDuoQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=moon.meteor+c3+on.handlebars&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3…9843.11877..12222…0.0..0.84.364.5……0….1………30i10.1Y6LEDsyrb0&ei=9eotXsHHMJr6a5C6uNAO&bih=651&biw=441&client=safari&prmd=sivn&hl=en-gb

https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-meteor-c2-titanium-rechargeable-front-bike-light-2019-157557.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&source=PHG

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ravemen LR500s or 800s

Cutoff beam. Can also operate from a USB to extend runtimes for longer rides. Can also add a wired remote switch for less than a fiver.

Also the Ravemen CR700 for another small torch style with similar features. All these lights have a mount that is a rubber strap-hook thing and also quick release.

Seriously recommend checking out the reviews and the beam patterns

senorj

I have a cat eye volt 200 something or other.
    Surprisingly good value for money imo.
    Used as back up for my commute , v useful on flash mode in city traffic.
    Rubber band bracket , usb charger and decent battery life . I think they do a 400 & 600 version which cost more and are larger.

benp1

I have a Lezyne strip drive that died, customer service was pretty poor – ‘sealed unit’ blah blah. I’ve taken it apart and have ordered a new battery from china in the hope of fixing it

My little alpkit tau set is working great on my brompton, very pleased with them

COB lights are good, they have a wide field of view so are very visible. The bright lights that are focussed are annoying, OK from an angle but from the wrong point of view they’re blinding

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For commuting? Get a STVZO one, lezyne and cateye both do them now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Small Front Lights’ is closed to new replies.