Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SLX Pads – Replacement recommendations?
  • phillconnell

I’ve got SLX brakes on my new Bandit – they’re ace, but I’m thinking ahead. Do I absolutely need Shimano Ice Tech replacements or are there others which will give good performance?

I’m not planning any major alpine awaydays soon. Lancashire grit mostly, wet and dry.

Phill.

sv

Superstar sintered or similar would suit.

tony07
    Free Member

I find the superstars don’t fit my xt properly. They move about slightly in the calliper when braking. Still work ok, but rattle.

phillconnell

Might try a single pair of Superstars just to check fit before stocking up then. Cheers!

nealy
    Free Member

I had Superstar sintered last year and hated them, noisy as hell and felt nasty.

Changed to Uberbike race matrix which are silent, feel like organic, are powerful and lasted really well until a few rides in the peaks when it was properly wet killed them.

Got some uberbike sintered hoping they would be ok and they are brilliant. Virtually silent with zero squealing and feel much better than SSC sintered plus they’re more powerful and are lasting ages. No fit issues either.

I’ll probably just use uberbike sintered all year but do like organic and/or race matrix in the drier months

edd

Genuine Shimano pads can be had for:

£5.04 resin
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/disc-brake-pads-resin-g01s-61019/wg_id-282

£10.21 metal
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/disc-brake-pads-g03s-metal-br-m985-785-666-60885/wg_id-282

Hardly seems worth getting anything else, especially as they’re probably even less expensive elsewhere if you shop around.

phillconnell

I have a couple of spare pairs of Superstar for my HT and my daughter is already complaining about the noise. I’m probably going to sand them and hope for he best.
    On the new bike though, it seems I have options. I’m not likely to change pads for new conditions so sintered are favourite. Will look at the Uberbike now but the genuine Shimano links may be handy too.
    I had a feeling I might get a few conflicting options, but it’s all good, lots of choice.

iainc

4 pairs of Uberbike sintered for £23 delivered 🙂 I ordered some the other day. they are just as good as the oem ones

neiloxford
    Free Member

Using Uberbike race matrix and they are great, not tried anything else.

z1ppy

It was pointed out the other day that my Shimano ice-tech rotors are in a very sorry state, I’ve been using Superstar sintered pads.
    Hmmmmm…

poah
    Free Member

tony07 – Member
    I find the superstars don’t fit my xt properly. They move about slightly in the calliper when braking. Still work ok, but rattle

same with my uberbike Kevlar that I just put in – which is a shame cause they work bloody brill.

jonnyrockymountain

Merlin do 4 pairs of the finned ones for £60
    I think it’s worth it they last ages

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My Uberbike pads have a slight rattle, but put a layer of duct tape on the back of the pads and that stops them rattling !

buck53

Just a word on uberbike sintered, I’ve got them on at the moment and they are howling when they get hot. Others are saying the same on the thread I have going.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Sintered are for really wet riding and changed mine to organic after the last ride. The friction got so hot, it discoloured the backing plate rainbow coloured. I speak for Uberbike pads personally. They are better organics than OEM pads.

nosedive
    Free Member

Superstar have been ok for me. Slight hijack – does anyone know anywhere that sells the alan key pin that comes in the xt brakes? The split pin thing does my head in. It effectively means i cant change the pads mid ride without carrying pliers

davemonty
    Free Member

Uberbike race matrix for me too, best I ever did use.

nosedive
    Free Member

Do uberbike ones come with the pin? Or just pad and springs?

buck53

Just pads and springs IME.

nosedive
    Free Member

Bum. What about real shimano ones? I might splash out for a set if they have the magic pin

br
    Free Member

I’ve a Hope caliper with a pin/clip like that, last thing you need is another thing to lose – and that little ‘wire’ is very easy to lose…

poah
    Free Member

I got mine from wiggle

chrisdw
    Free Member

My uberbike resin ones are great. They do squeal when wet tho. Race matrix ones will be going in next.

davemonty
    Free Member

I have one of those little plastic coated metal twist ties in place of a pin that I lost once upon a time. Another bit of wire in through and tied together for backup. Does rightly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SLX Pads – Replacement recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.