• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slow cooker recipes, if you will….
  • DrP

Treated (ha… it was £15!) myself and the kids to one of these for my new flat, so that we’ve got something hot and yummy on the go for when I pick them up after work..

I’ve tried slow cooked pulled pork…kinda worked, more like almost roast, almost pulled….
    What am i doing wrong?

Also, i love Thai curry in it (got that on the go as we speak..)

What other traditional and less so recipes have you got ‘really working’ in the slow cooker???

Cheers!!

DrP

ton

load of shin beef, loads of winter veg, and a bottle of dark strong beer. manns stout, hobgoblin, that type of stuff.

8 hours slow. aces.

ElShalimo

Similar to ton above:
    Shin beef, parsnips, carrots, shallots, glass of red, half an aubergine (reduces to almost nothing), whole chilli, some whole garlic cloves, bay leaf, whole peppercorns
    8+ hrs for the casserole and throw some sliced mushrooms in for the last 90 mind if you have time

eskay

1 onion chopped
    2 medium sticks celery chopped
    1 yellow pepper, chopped
    1 red pepper, chopped
    12 pork sausages
    3 fat garlic cloves, chopped
    1½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
    ½ tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp dried thyme
    125ml white wine
    2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 x 400g can mixed beans

Prepare veg night before, stick it all in before work, come home, cook rice and munch!

scruff9252

For yesterday’s meal we had butter chicken curry. Was really, really good. I used broadly this recipe;

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-butter-chicken

DrP

Cheers all… shin beef…on the bone???

And do you brown the meat first?

Will hunt out some cow legs from teh butchers i think!!

DrP

mogrim

And do you brown the meat first?

It’s better if you brown it first, otherwise it comes out a bit grey. Perfectly edible, just not quite as good. Of course that’s another dish to clean…

French onion soup’s good, too – although maybe not quite so kiddy friendly, depends how old they are. Slice four big onions, dice maybe 100g of butter, mix and cook on low for 8 hours or so. Add a couple of litres of stock and cook for another hour on high. Spoon into bowls, put a slice of french bread and some cheese on top and grill until brown. Your flat will stink of onions after though 🙂

binners

Delias braised beef goulash with smoked pimenton is absolutely bloody lovely done all day in the slow cooker.

ton

Cheers all… shin beef…on the bone???

no, not on the bone.
    and I don’t brown it. and it comes out brown and soft and ace, like the most tender stewing steak.

johndoh
    Free Member

DrP – I do pulled pork chilli – it takes 24 hours though – slow cook the pork with whatever sauces I have to hand (old BBQ sauces etc) on day one then pull the pork and add all the chilli ingredients (however you do it normally) and cook it on day two.

DrP

RE my pull-ish pork…

I was going by my sister’s recipe; claiming she doesn’t put any fluid in the bowl..but looking at ALL other recipes online, they have 250 odd ml of stock/wine…

I’ll try it again with some stock, I guess to steam the process a bit.

Ton: i reckon my lad would love the shin beef casserole…will do it this weekend!!

DrP

spawnofyorkshire

I did a good one yesterday

Onions, carrots, beetroot all diced and gently fried off for a bit till soft and the onion is translucent
    Two potatoes diced small
    A load of brown lentils
    A small gammon joint chopped into thumb sized cubes
    all in the slow cooker, cover in chicken stock
    loads of herbs and garlic powder
    cook for six hours

Note: the gammon and stock provide the salt so don’t add any extra

I have a celeriac as well, should have put that in instead of the potatoes but it works lovely all the same

ton

just remembered one that the wife did last winter.

a whole chicken sat on finely chopped onions, with a tin of sweetcorn.
    some five spice, bit of ginger and garlic.
    1 cup or chicken stock.

10 hours on low.
    when you lift the lid, you can shake and fork the meat off the carcass.
    then fork all the meat apart into the juices, and serve on creamy mash and garden peas.

ElShalimo

@DrP – be careful with fluids. The lid is on so no moisture escapes the pot during the cooking. You really don’t need much in there.
    Also be generous/brave with the spices. I find that you need to double the amount if it’s a very long cook, e.g. 8+hrs
    I’ve had some disappointing chillis and currys before my mate told me that and it seems to work.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Someone posted a chilli brisket a while ago which is one of my go-to slow cooker recipes. Make a huge potful (lots of beans as well as the beef) and freeze in portions for later use, it’s improved by re-heating. Hard to go wrong with a pulled pork shoulder too, though note that as above the slow cooker tends to be a bit wet and needs extra spice.

toby1

Chicken thighs (6-12)
    Cubed sweet potato
    1 chopped Onion
    Garlic and Ginger to taste
    Curry base (sauce pot or otherwise)
    Tin of tomatoes (2 if 12 thighs)
    Coconut milk or double cream for the end.
    Cook for 8ish hours on low.
    NEVER fails.

I’ll be making one this weekend after writing that all out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slow cooker recipes, if you will….’ is closed to new replies.