Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sliding dropouts and other questions
  • gecko76

Am involved with a project to build up a number of frames (bamboo, naturally) for a local charity. We’re in the process of sourcing unused bikes as donors, but a few questions have arisen.

The dropouts are sliding fixie style, albeit with a mech hanger. Will a standard qr hub work or will chain tugs be required?

The frames are for 700c wheels with limited clearance between the stays. Most of the bikes we’re finding cheap on gumtree/facebook are 26″. A road wheel will fit fine at the front but  is it possible to get v brakes long enough to reach the rims? Otherwise it’s skinny 26″ tyres which will work but won’t look right. The back has to be calipers unless there’s a clever way to fit disc mounts to the (aluminium) dropouts. Not sure I’d trust some of the solutions found online.

There is some budget and don’t want to be bodging too much, just hoping there are some obvious tricks. Obviously there’s cheap caliper brakes/hestsets/etc on ebay.

Finally, anyone in or around Edinburgh got an old road bike (or parts) they’d like to donate?

kelvin

The dropouts are sliding fixie style, albeit with a mech hanger. Will a standard qr hub work or will chain tugs be required?

Pictures, please.

gecko76

gecko76

gecko76

gecko76

Not my pics. I think most of the frames are like the first one. Is it possible to hang a mech hanger off the others?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Being pedantic I know, but that’s slot dropouts, not sliding. If it were me I’d be using chain tugs.

gecko76

Ah, thanks, I knew something didn’t sound right.

OK, next question. 10mm solid axle with nuts (is that right?) or 9mm qr OK? ‘Cos that’s the wheels we’re getting.

Bez

Being pedantic I know, but that’s slot dropouts, not sliding.

Being pedantic, they’re track ends, not dropouts 😉

kelvin

Chaintugs required. You can get some with a mech hanger on, yes.

gecko76
    idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Being pedantic I know, but that’s slot dropouts, not sliding.

Being pedantic, they’re track ends, not dropouts 😉[/quote]
    Touché 😂
    Edit:Ffs, I can’t get nested quotes to work after beer..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sliding dropouts and other questions’ is closed to new replies.