Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Slice on tyre sidewall
  • smallspinsized
    Free Member

Noticed at the start of yesterday’s ride a 1 inch slice on the tyre wall. Doesn’t look deep and there’s no bulging or leaking. It’s still the same 30 miles later.

Is it worth putting a patch on the inside or putting some shoe glue on the outside? It’s a new Maxxis Forekaster so could do without replacing it yet.

docgeoffyjones

As recommended to me by someone on here you can sew the slit up with dental floss, then patch the inside so it will still work tubeless.

oldnpastit

I’ve had some limited success with superglue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it works but then fails a few rides later, but it doesn’t take long to apply.

Tracey

If its not gone through then I have had some success with superglue. Let the air out of the tyre and apply a liberal amount into the slice and then wipe over the over spill so it overlaps onto the side wall. Never patched from the inside unless its gone all the way through and then always use a mushroom plug.

alan1977
    Free Member

personally, wouldn’t trust superglue, as it sets quite rigid, and brittle.
    id be inclined to patch the inside to try and reinforce the tyre around the slice

Superficial
    Free Member

In theory, you might lose some of the strength of the carcass. You might feel nervous driving a car with a (repaired) 1″ gash in the sidewall, so it’s difficult to recommend that other people do the same with bike tyres. But FWIW, I’ve patched the inside of tyres when there’s been a hole. It’s worked just fine for the lifetime of the tyre.

I’ve tried suturing the sidewall previously (in my case with surgical sutures) but ended up tearing more holes and it would never seal. So I just use (large) inner tube patches and vulcanising glue (the stuff you get in puncture repair kits).

But you’re describing a ‘slice’ that doesn’t go all the way through and there’s no bulging / leaking. When is a slice in fact a scratch??

mccraque

I’d use a tiptop tubeless patch on the inside. I patched a gash that had gone all the way through and it even held that, so if it doesn’t look too bad – I think that will be more than likely all you need to do.

I would however run that forekaster on the rear… just in case…

smallspinsized
    Free Member

But you’re describing a ‘slice’ that doesn’t go all the way through and there’s no bulging / leaking. When is a slice in fact a scratch??

Yeah I guess its a scratch that looks like a paper cut. It goes vertically (when the wheel is rotated and its at the top). I’ll try a patch on the inside then. Thanks for the suggestions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.