Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sky HD box phone/internet conection faff
  • jfletch
    Free Member

I have a new Sky+HD box that I would like to be connected to the internet for anytime+ and the phone for Sky interactive trickery such as setting things to record from the phone app.

But I don’t want wires trailing all the way from the phone socket and wireless modem which is in another room, with some stairs and a front door in the way.

Has anyone else overcome this problem with any clever solutions?

(I am aware I could use a power line network for the internet and a dect phone extender for the phone but that is very expensive and requires a lot of plugs hanging of the sockets by the phone and TV which I don’t really have space for without the sockets looking like a lamp post in bangkok)

BoardinBob

Theres a wireless dongle available. not cheap though. about £80

unovolo
    Free Member

You don’t need it connected to the phone line for remote record the activation signal comes via the Sat dish,you only need the phone wire connected for interactive stuff such as ordering box office movies or checking your Sky account via your sky box.
    Regards the anytime plus,if you don’t want to use power line adaptors or a very long Ethernet cable,then you need to get yourself a wireless bridge,either the official Sky one (at around£60) or a 3rd party one for less than half that.

It effectively gives your Sky box a wireless Internet connection,most of the wireless bridges need plugging into the mains supply as well,some can be powered by USB but although Sky HD boxes all have USB ports not all Models of the Hd boxes have power going to them.

If its te current smaller 2nd generation model the chances are the USB ports will be dead,1st gen normally do have power going to them.
    A easy way to check is plug in the USB lead you get to charge most modern phones ,if it starts charging your good.

hp_source

something along these lines should do the trick

Buffalo Bridge

I use an older model on for my Xbox and sky, and it’s great.

pguy78
    Free Member

I used a pair of homeplugs. Something like these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000SO94FA or off ebay cheaper.

One plugs into a socket beside your router and connects to the router. The other from a socket beside you box and then into the box.
    The use the electrical wiring to act similar to a wired connection. Works great and faster than wifi.

jfletch
    Free Member

You don’t need it connected to the phone line for remote record the activation signal comes via the Sat dish,

You learn something new every day!

I’d never actually tested this as I never managed to get the old text message way working so assumed the app would be the same. Tried it this evening and it worked perfectly! Doh!

Just the ethernet connection isn’t so bad. Going to try to bodge an old router into a bridge.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sky HD box phone/internet conection faff’ is closed to new replies.