Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Skoda Yeti, 2nd hand?
  • white101

I need to replace the Berlingo van I have for work (I will miss it, easy to drive and very practical) I am getting an allowance from work and I wanted to go down the practical route again but car based.

Although they have been replaced by the Karoq (very nice but out of the price range) they still have some appeal in the small SUV type size thing I am looking for. Considered a Quashqai and a CX5 also.

As I will be using it for work the drop down and removable seats are useful and the roof bars will be handy for the bike racks I have in the garage.

I am looking at low mileage 2nd hand from dealers.

Alternatives and ownership tips gratefully received!

CountZero

Not an owner, but I’ve driven a couple of Yetis, a CX-5 and a whole bunch of Qashqai over the last two years, and I couldn’t fault any from a driving point of view. Aesthetically the Yeti falls short, it’s not a particularly attractive car, but is practical, the newer Qashqai has improved a lot in spec and appearance, and the CX-5 is lovely, a very nice drive, really nice interior and would be my automatic choice, if I had the money. I can’t give a long-term comment, I’m just a driver who picks up and delivers, but I usually get a couple of hundred miles in a vehicle so find any niggles fairly quickly. I honestly don’t think you’re going to be disappointed with any of those, just try and get good test drives to see how the driving position and layout suits. The Qashqai does come with 360 degree cameras, at least on some models, if that makes a difference.

z1ppy

I’ve ‘just’ bought one, and am very happy with it, though it’s early days. I was initially put off by the earlier models smaller boot but the re-design has a bigger boot that the cashcow.

I did look at lots of other option but most SUV type car have a small cabin as they ‘lift’ the bottom of the car to give it that 4×4-esk look. G/f has a cashcow and boot is small the cabin tiny in comparison, and the CX5 is even smaller. Loving the Yeti as it’s a van with removable car seat and windows, and a proper van seat in the front, so your not sitting on the floor like most modern cars.

You’ve screwed by the dealers as they have most nearly new/low mileage units as they’re returned to them under their PCP/finance schemes, so they can set the prices artificially high.

DrP

We’ve a Yeti 4X4 L+K, 1.4tsi petrol…

Nice to be a driver in there, and the kids like it in the back.

Though I hate to admit it, I really like teh higher seating position/viewpoint you get. Makes getting back into the Octavia like slipping into a go-kart!!

However, the boot on the Yeti is small. Not sure if it’s significantly smaller than other cars, but once you’ve had an Octavia, I guess any boot is small….

MPG on the 4×4 1.4sti is pretty shocking…about 35mpg average. however, I guess, it is a 4wd box.

Would I get one again – yeah.

DrP

white101

Aesthetically the CX-5 wins for me, but the prices are very high still for 4-5 yr old cars, Quashqai’s are 2 a penny up here in the north east so plenty to choose from 2nd hand but not as practical boot wise I thought. Yeti’s are holding prices despite the new Karoq coming out. My previous car (2.5yrs ago) was a Passat estate and before that Mondeo estate, so dealing with the smaller boot is something I am going to have to deal with especially after a Berlingo van.

Test driving/garage visiting starting Sunday.

Pook

got one. love it.

not going to win any beauty pageants and we’re way out of the mean age range of typical drivers by about 40 years but it’s ace. better than the father in law’s evoque .

legend
    Free Member

I was initially put off by the earlier models smaller boot but the re-design has a bigger boot that the cashcow

Tell me more about this please, didn’t realise it had changed at some point

DrP

We’ve a 17 plate model.

Ye boot not be big, ya…

DrP

z1ppy

The boot is bigger than the cashcow and bigger than my old VW Gold plus, but no it’s not Octavia sized, it does fit two medium/large dogs, which is my main use for it.

Dr.P ahhh so mine isn’t totally shagged in some way (fuel ecomony wise).. love it otherwise

I dunno about the redesign, I just know I’ve looked at a number of pre-face lift versions and the boot were smaller than my old Golf’s  & so put me off the yeti for ages.. so something changed.

CountZero

Might be worth checking out the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson as well, both are good to drive, the rear may have a bit more space, I’m not sure. Most of the cars mentioned that I’ve driven have all been ex-Motability cars, so the higher seating position was always a big selling point, and what attracts me to them these days, and general practicality, some obviously carried a wheelchair in the back, but folded, not enough space for an unfolded chair, Berlingos or similar being used for that.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Just in the process of handing back my 2014 2.0 tdi 4×4. It was fine until it had the emissions update. Don’t touch an older EA189 engine.  Very comfortable and great in the recent snow.  Boot is an odd shape. Not much sound proofing though. Older petrol engines pre 2012-13 have timing chain reliability issues.  Rear doors can rust at the bottom problem with door seals. Still waiting for a door 6 months later! Would I have another?  No it would have to be a later Karoq with the 1.5T engine preferably or if not that the 1.4T.

There is an old saying that an estate can do everything an SUV can do only better cheaper and faster.

Which is why I’ve changed to a Seat Leon ST!

rone

Boot has never changed as far as I can remember but what does change it is whether there is a spare wheel in the back.

Loved my Yeti, extremely comfortable to drive. The 1.2 DSG was a great set up. Economy was excellent.

Brakes were poor though. That was probably the only bad thing.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Agree about the brakes. My wife’s 1.2 Tsi Fabia has much bigger brakes than the 2.0 tdi Yeti. Very odd.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 18 months, used to have a Roomster which had a bigger boot especially if have a spare wheel.

It’s a lot cheaper than similar options and the back seats are great for me as I just keep one in for my son and then have loads of space for luggage, inc my bike, on holidays.  I like how it drives too and not bothered about its looks – well it’s prettier than the Roomster….

hot_fiat

Had a yeti for 4 yrs/74k. It was great.

Boog is an odd shape, but you just need to learn to pack vertically & the it becomes huge.  Look out for one with a genuine dog guard – then the boot becomes really huge!

Avoid aftermarket tow bars – mine destroyed the car’s ecu and rear wiring loom (despite being fitted by a skoda agent). The genuine Westfalia kit is plug & play even without the factory tow bar prep option. Many others have suffered similar on briskoda.

Watch out for prop shaft flexi couplings on 4×4 models. This requires a new prop shaft  @ £1500 for the part!  Manifests itself as a resonance between 70-85 in 6th. Common  on all 4motion/Quattro derived systems.

pre face lift 4×4 uses Haldex4 (hydraulic), post facelift use Haldex5 (electric). The 4 is better – faster to react, more “there” when you need it. The 170bhp diesel and 180tsi with this are indecently quick off the line.

definitely avoid anything that’s had the emissions update. Multiple tales of woe online.

We traded ours in for a 7seat kodiaq. It’s about 1/2 as practical as our yeti was. Lovely drive but not a yeti. We need to chop it in for a caravelle type thing as we’ve a third sprog on the way. Skoda told us on Friday that the manual is wrong and they don’t actually recommend putting any child seats in the 3rd row.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Yeti, 2nd hand?’ is closed to new replies.