• This topic has 35 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Skoda DSG tricks/fun tips
  • Pook

I’ve ordered a new yeti, and thanks to a Skoda balls up (which I won’t go into, they’re sorting it really well), I’ve currently got a little fabia TDI with a DSG box. It’s great fun to play with, but are there any secrets I should know about?

DrP

Up down left right a b c start.
    Infinite lives.

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really. I think the GTI models come with a launch control feature, but I don’t see the difference between this and simply flooring it.

bigG
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Not really. I think the GTI models come with a launch control feature, but I don’t see the difference between this and simply flooring it.

In my GTi DSG the launch control makes it fasterer and more noisier, which means it’s super awesome right?

In reality, I’ve used the launch control once, crapped myself at how quickly I was going very fast and never touched it since. It does a great job of balancing throttle to the wheels and grip.

G

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe. Launch control doesn’t work on mine.

onandon
    Free Member

This is single track, shouldnt that be Lunch control ? 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

but I don’t see the difference between this and simply flooring it.

Really?
    It usually changes the throttle map and shift points/timing, plus reducing how intrusive the stability/yaw/traction control is.

Depends on how fruity VAG were feeling at the time.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It usually changes the throttle map and shift points/timing, plus reducing how intrusive the stability/yaw/traction control is.

Depends on how fruity VAG were feeling at the time.

I bet you work in marketing? You mean it revs slightly higher and the wheels are allowed to spin fractionally. Why does any road going car need launch control anyhow??

Its a VAG Skoda Fabia FFS. About as dull as they come.

Probably taking the spare wheel out of the boot and emptying the fuel tank would have more of an effect on 0-60 than any launch control rubbish.

matt_outandabout

I thought VW were rather good at programming cars in secret ways.

molgrips
    Free Member

Really?

Yes because as above, doesn’t work on my car 🙂

However, traction control on my car seems to allow quite a bit of wheelspin. To the point where I had the car for a year and didn’t realise I had TC until it snowed.

Its a VAG Skoda Fabia FFS. About as dull as they come

That’s why the OP’s car probably doesn’t have it – he’s talking about GTIs. And yes it is useless on the road afaik, more for messing around.

Pook

my what a grumpy bunch!

i was thinking not only things with the gearbox, but any little things like the shutting all the windows by holding the lock hkey down, little stuff like that

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I bet you don’t win much on the horses then. If i was in marketing i’d have said it’ll knock 3 seconds of the 0-100 time and make the object of your desire weak and the knees.
    That’s exactly what i said.
    To make middle aged blokes feel like racing car drivers? When in reality they probably shouldn’t be on the road.

Road going cars don’t need it.

Murray

Holding down the door open button on the remote to open all the windows is a great feature. Needed to be selected using the MMI on my A3 – probably the same across VAG range.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

i was thinking not only things with the gearbox, but any little things like the shutting all the windows by holding the lock hkey down, little stuff like that

Ah ok. Left foot braking will not work, again VAG trying to make their cars as dull as possible to drive 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

FunkyDunc who pissed on your cornflakes?

njee20
    Free Member

Left foot braking will not work, again VAG trying to make their cars as dull as possible to drive

So launch control is stupid, but you want them to facilitate left foot braking so you can pretend to be a racing driver and be all awsumz?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah ok. Left foot braking will not work, again VAG trying to make their cars as dull as possible to drive

During the runaway Lexus tragedy scandal it was considered a good thing that VWs cut power when you apply the brakes.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So launch control is stupid, but you want them to facilitate left foot braking so you can pretend to be a racing driver and be all awsumz?

That took longer than I was expecting for the predictable STW forum response.

stumpy01

njee20 – Member

I used to left foot brake for a few seconds the day after washing my car to help scrub the thin layer of rust from the brakes.
    It didn’t really need it, but the brakes were quite scrapy & noisy until that layer was removed & you could do it very quickly by driving with a lightly applied brake.

Can’t do it in either of the VAG cars I’ve owned as the throttle is cut immediately once you touch the brake.
    Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to carry on with my bizarre ritual and not have VAG meddle in my brake-cleaning affairs.

Anyway – back to talking about launch control & ting…..

globalti
    Free Member

If your Skoda is anything like the three Passats I’ve had, any attempt to spin the front wheels will produce a violent and alarming banging noise, which on the first two models I thought was the DMF rattling but since the DSG model I have now also does it, and when going too fast down the far side of a speed hump, I’m guessing it’s front axle tramp.

Sporty they are not, but once you’ve got them moving the S setting on the DSG is quite good.

njee20
    Free Member

Paddles are more fun than S IMO, although I swear my car is louder in S. Entirely possible as its all fake noise!

angeldust
    Free Member

If you are getting excited about a Fabia on loan, I suggest you get out more…. 😆 😆 😆

njee20
    Free Member

There are some idiots here aren’t there?

rone

You’ll enjoy your yeti. I’ve just come form a fabia estate which was practical cheap car with great boot. Drove okay too me. The Yeti although a smaller boot is a better drive. DSG is good too.

Our Skoda Dealer was awful.

T1000
    Free Member

Dsg with vags adaptive cruise control is a great combination

Pook

If you are getting excited about a Fabia on loan, I suggest you get out more…. 😆

I just appreciate things in life. Like the M4 i also get to drive, and the 4.2litre xk I have a play in now and then.

If your life is so brimming with luxury that you don’t appreciate nifty, near little freebies in life such as a DSG box on a car, then pal, I daresay it’s you that needs to appreciate life a little more.

Lol.

garage-dweller

Pook that’s a good point. A few years back our family car needed a new exhaust section during a holiday. Left it at the exhaust place and had a little pug 107 rental for a day.

It was some of the most fun I’ve had driving on a public road. Doing 80% of the speed limit it felt like you were going really quick, you could feel every bump, bit of gravel, change in surface. Far more engaging than a big much faster estate and fun in a way that a more powerful fast hatch can’t be at road legal speeds.

No way I’d have one as a daily driver but as a day’s rental and something refreshingly different it was great.

spooky_b329

If your Skoda is anything like the three Passats I’ve had, any attempt to spin the front wheels will produce a violent and alarming banging noise,

My Mondeo used to do that at the tiniest hint of wheelspin. When I changed the Khumo Ecsta tyres (I think thats what they were) it all stopped and it changed back to a normal car that would just emit a quiet squeal when trying to get away quickly.

The most exciting feature I’ve discovered on my current vehicle (not a VAG) is that if you flash the full beams repeatedly after switching off, it turns on a ‘see you home’ timer in 30 second increments.

hora
    Free Member

Fun tips? It’s a car named after a naff Italianesque male stud name with a gearbox that can shat itself ££££ at some point in the future 😀

angeldust
    Free Member

Is there a bit of string in the cupboard you could play with to keep you occupied if you are that easily amused?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Holding down the door open button on the remote to open all the windows is a great feature

Even more useful is if tou hold the lockbutton it shuts any yourgirl friend didn’t bother to.

Atleast it works with the physical key.

Does it have the micro sunvisor above the rearview mirror? That blew my mind when i found it.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Seat had that! The dealer showed me, I’d never have found it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nice choice on the Yeti, the new models have sorted the issue I had with the looks and they’ve always been practical cars and good in the snow, I see many in Switzerland. Tue wife has an aversion to Skodas but we where in a Superb today and I was making a point of complimenting it, playing the long game 🙂

spooky_b329

Pushed resume on my cruise control whilst idling yesterday and it increases the idle speed by 500 rpm, perfect for a quicker defrost, or in my case a bit more alternator volts for charging leisure batteries.

CountZero

If your Skoda is anything like the three Passats I’ve had, any attempt to spin the front wheels will produce a violent and alarming banging noise,

My 1.9TDi Octavia will happily squeal the tyres on a vigorous pull away, with no noisy dramatics.
    It’s only a 110PS ‘n’all.

simmy
    Free Member

Holding down the door open button on the remote to open all the windows is a great feature

My mate had a Passat with that feature and the car was outside his house and a young lad knocked on asking if it was his car as all the windows were down on it and it was raining hard.

Mate had the keys in his pocket and must have caught the button whilst sitting on the sofa. He’s done it with his latest car as well only this time the boot opened 😀 luckily no one nicked his sons buggy out the boot.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Skoda DSG tricks/fun tips’ is closed to new replies.