• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by PhilO.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sit up and beg bike
  • Marin
    Free Member

Hello,can any recommend any bikes that are bolt upright position and step through rather than a cross bar. My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and can’t have any lean forward pressure on shoulders or wrists. She’s trying to keep fit, it would only be for dead flat promenade use or even an ebike one. About a grand budget wise. She was a good XC rider but it’s no longer an option for her, thanks.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dutch bike for sure, or even recumbent.

I have a Batavus Personal Bike and it is supremely sitty-uppy, laid-back and deliciously stress-free to ride. Stepthru too. Build-quality is very good and makes small differences, it glides. Another very important factor is the slight feet-forward geometry compared to more ‘UK’* type bikes. It makes an enormous difference in taking the pressure from the wrists and also enhances stability as you get the same leg-stretch for a lower seat-height.

* You won’t currently find this stuff in Halfords.

*Edit bikes such as these frequently have twist-grip, would that be a problem?

stwhannah

The Islabikes Icon ranges are designed specifically for this, recognising a lack of flexibility and hand strength.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There are quite a lot of upright looking ladies bikes arouund just now, Pendleton etc.

dc1988

Dutch style bike is good but perhaps not an actual Dutch bike, they weigh an absolute ton.

If you can find an old style shopper then they are perfect with sturmey archer 3 speed, surprising light and nippy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dutch style bike is good but perhaps not an actual Dutch bike, they weigh an absolute ton.

They can do, especially the trado/cargo ones – but on a dead flat promenade it should make no difference, it also helps stability in winds and when carrying cargo. Trust me, as long-term RA-sufferer (cycling was part of rehab following remission) – the laid-backness is the big issue, the Dutch bike-weight has only been a positive (unless hoiking up steps, then worth looking at something like an Electra cruiser or alu dutch style with the geo I was talking about)

Also, my 1960s Raleigh Twenty weighed nearly the same as the Dutch bike! (Ok, 40lb vs 50lb, but at that point who’s counting 😂) – to be fair my steel Dutch is probably the heaviest you can get. You can buy alu ones around 14kg. But the pedal-forward/ geo is arguably the important bit and not even all Dutch-style bikes have that covered.

The Electra Townie has similar geo, maybe even more pronounced than the Batavus Personal, but it’s comparatively low spec. Could be a good option to buy and upgrade?

hols2
    Free Member
    akira

Have a look at the Pinnacle Californiums as well, sit up and beg style but aluminium rather than steel so bit lighter.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Here’s what I’m trying to convey – (a pic is worth all the words I struggle with!)

Seat-tube is angled further back = less pressure/forces on wrists, knees and shoulders, + a lower seat-height for the same leg-extension = stable ride and more relaxed body overall. In my experience.

‘Lean back and beg’, if you like. Always worth demo of bikes/geometry first if at all possible, *especially* for orthopaedic concerns.

Some reading here https://www.sixthreezero.com/blogs/bike-advice/what-are-the-best-bikes-for-people-with-arthritis

And more specifically crank-forward types discussed here

12 Crank-Forward bikes as an E-bike commuter

Marin
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies will look into them.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Here’s a leftfield idea…

Get the best spec bike for the money and fit something like the Modolo Dumbo touring bars to it… It’s a modular bar and you can make the front end very tall if you so wish, my pair in the garage were a godsend when my lower back muscles tore horribly in 2008 and gave me a lot of grief for ~9 years.

Or grab a 35 degree stem such as https://www.decathlon.co.uk/35-oversize-raised-stem-id_8298466.html (I bought an On One 110mm 35 degree ~10 years ago), which will raise the bars by ~5cm and then fit some carbon bars (maybe with some rise) such as https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSECRFH/selcof-carbon-riser-handlebar and some nice soft grips such as https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTOOFLOG/on-one-half-bob-lock-on-foam-grips

IHN

We have a Dawes traditional style shopper bike, it’s an absolute stonker of a thing, genuinely one of the funnest bikes we have. 7 speed, so okay on smallish hills too.

TiRed

For something a bit nicer, kalkhoff Agattu if she fancies electric assist. Or the Raleigh equivalent. Other Dutch bikes such as Batavus and Sparta are also very nice indeed. Paper bike in the U.K. is also a nice design. Otherwise a pashley or Pendleton from Halfords. Both have hundred-year-sorted geometry.

And if she fancies something less upright, how about lying down on a trike?

Or for a left field solution, Giant Revive off ebay as a semi-recumbent.

dave_h
    Free Member

If you happen to be anywhere near Hayfield, Derbyshire then we’ve got a shopper style bike sat in the shed that you could have for nowt as it’s just taking up space.

It needs a bit of a clean, is a bit heavy and has just 7 gears but it hasn’t been used much, it works, would at least prove the point and even has a basket!

PhilO
    Free Member

Something like a Rans Fusion might also worth considering; At the extreme end of ‘crank-forward’and verging on semi-recumbent. Might be hard to find this side of the Atlantic, though. (TBF, I doubt if that many are sold in Leftpondia either).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sit up and beg bike’ is closed to new replies.