Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Singletrackworld Personal Blacklist Script
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

You need all sorts to make the world interesting otherwise it would just be the same boring folks going over the same topics ad nauseum.

Cougar

On another forum that I used to help moderate, the devs implemented a very cunning alternative to just banning people to mitigate this problem. They muted the user for everyone else, so they could post bollocks all day long to their little heart’s content, and nobody (except mods) could see them. It was pretty funny watching them figure out what had happened slowly as their trolling attempts failed over and over and the conversation carried on happily all around them. Quite often you’d see the troll persona slip and the real person come out: “Hello? Can anyone hear me? Hello?”

That.

Is.

Brilliant.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

ton – Member

why on earth would you want to block someone
    why on earth would someone annoy you
    why on earth come on a forum where you get annoyed
    why on earth read a post by someone who annoys you
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    You can cut and paste them if you keyboard is knackered. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

That.

Is.

Brilliant.

Reddit have a similar thing, it’s called Shadowbanning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_banning

nickc

I had chewkw blocked for a bit when I stumbled across the blocker programme (he’s the only one I ever have), but then something happened to it and he was back… just skip over his posts now, I can’t be arsed to read his stuff still, but somehow going to hassle of blocking him again seems like too much hard work.

most folk on here are sound TBH, and the Mods do a pretty good job of keeping it in order. It’s the only Chat forum I’ll really use these days.

Junkyard
    Free Member

People who use block filters are the same that burn books,

are they not more like folk who choose not to read books they know would annoy them
    or I purposely block the daily mail by simply not reading it is this the same as book burning?
    I have never read Mein Kampf nor Jilly Cooper…its at that level rather than book burning

I would imagine chewkw is the most popular reason and certainly why I got it

others are on but i dont always use the same computer so sometimes see all posts

squirrelking
    Free Member

Indeed, it’s a useful feature and means you don’t have to accidentally read the equivalent of a bunch of monkeys flinging feces at a screen.

Use it, or don’t, that’s the beauty of freedom of choice.

(+1 on every other forum seeming to have it as a feature)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think your example is flawed junkyard. No one would object to you burning the daily mail rather than reading it.

taxi25
    Free Member

I would imagine chewkw is the most popular reason and certainly why I got it

chewkw is one of the reasons I come on here, so bad he’s good 😀
    And if you read his post’s with anything other than the most leftie hand wringing viewpoint he does hit the target from time to time.

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s exactly like an ad blocker. The troll blocker.

You don’t want to see ads, I don’t want to see trolls.

@ton: it’s so I don’t have to read your racist nonsense* 😉

*i don’t have or have ever run blacklist software (although if the forum had a block user function I would’ve activated on one or two….)

Jamie
    Free Member

And if you read his post’s with anything other than the most leftie hand wringing viewpoint he does hit the target from time to time.

True, but a stopped clock is correct twice a day 8)

CountZero

ernie_lynch – Member
    It’s being unable to read incomprehensible gibberish from Chewkw.
    It’s really not compulsory to read his posts you know, I can quite easily avoid reading stuff by people who don’t interest me. What buggers things up is when people, for reasons which I don’t fully understand, respond to his “incomprehensible gibberish” – that’s when the threads get trashed and derailed. He couldn’t do it on his own.

This ?
    As I only use my pad and phone for STW, which these blocker jobbies don’t seem to work on, it never even entered my mind to block them. If they start posting anything that’s contentious enough for me to want to, I’m pretty damned sure they’d have crossed whatever line in the sand the mods have drawn and already done the job for me.
    While some seem to have this reaction:
    mine is along the lines of thinking skipping over it and moving on to something else.
    Pretty much what I do with TV, news, etc; I don’t need an electronic nanny.

ton

have never read Mein Kampf

oh, i have, quite often too. ask jekyll…….. 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

had you down more as a Jilly Copper reader if i am being honest

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

You need all sorts to make the world interesting

No,. No we don’t. We don’t need the unhinged, the paranoid, the spiteful, the bigoted, the racist, to “make the world interesting”. Asserting that all points of view have equal merit is a fallacy.

Having said all that, I’ve never felt the need to block anyone on STW. There was a genuine troll on Road.cc a while back, who derailed every thread with anti-cyclist posts, but he was banned in the end.

I don’t think we have that problem on this forum.

mefty
    Free Member

You need all sorts to make the world interesting otherwise it would just be the same boring folks going over the same topics ad nauseum.

Very good.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Since there’s been a lot of references to him to be fair to Chewwy his worst excesses do seem to have disappeared. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard his tedious and endless comments concerning zombie maggots and bowing down before Dear Leader. He’s probably making more sense now although I can’t be certain as I generally avoid reading most of what he posts 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I suspect he has turned trolling/incoherence down to 5 to get the attention so one could equally argue blocking him has worked

If enough of us do it together the hive mind might just achieve chewkw sense 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve blocked everybody

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Maybe related to a previous thread about remembering who posts what, but I hadn’t noticed chewkw as a particularly annoying poster

ulysse
    Free Member

I reckon every single one of you lot are all alter egos of Elfinsaftey

scotroutes

Adds CharlieMungus to the list….

zippykona

Unfortunately Chewk can be with us tonight ,he is kicking the back of people’s seats on a bus.

philxx1975
    Free Member

No

,. No we don’t. We don’t need the unhinged, the paranoid, the spiteful, the bigoted, the racist, to “make the world interesting”. Asserting that all points of view have equal merit is a fallacy

Thank **** for democratic society , rather than nobs thinking their viewpoint is the only one.Even if you don’t agree with em eh?

BoardinBob

Would never block anyone I disagree with. Know your enemy and all that. 😆

Seriously though, there’s some decent debate on good topics and if you blocked those you disagree with then the debate goes away.

But the downright obstructive and disruptive just drag it down with the endless attention seeking

jambalaya
    Free Member

Barack wouldn’t block you

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Adds CharlieMungus to the list….

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    I can’t hear youuuuuuu

chakaping
    Free Member

OK I’ve installed the blacklist on Firefox, and can access it via greasemonkey – but I can’t work out how to add members to block.

Anyone of you kind people able to explain?

GregMay
    Free Member

How wonderful 🙂 Blocks out the two I can’t stand.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I blocked myself :/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are stats collected on the most blocked stw poster?

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Does STW automatically block some people for you? as in over 6 years lurking around on here I can genuinely say ive never noticed Chewkws name. If people started blocking too many and there were a few blocked people involved in a thread then surely the gist of the thread would not make any sense to the blocker.

stewartc
    Free Member

Whatever happened to chakaping, not seen any of his posts for a while now?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d block the 4 horseman of the apocalypse that only ever appear on political threads, but tbh it’d be pointless.

When they all appear on such threads, the conversation is so dominated by their diatribe as to be not worthy of bothering with.

Meh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are stats collected on the most blocked stw poster?

chakaping
    Free Member

Whatever happened to chakaping, not seen any of his posts for a while now?

Chakaping said something stupid.

chakaping
    Free Member

PS. No need to all flock to my aid, I’ve now sussed that you have to add your blockees on the front end, in a thread.

tjagain

I see some comments on this thread about using the blocking to avoid opposing viewpoints. Its not what I do at all. I block one poster because he is an unpleasant troll who adds nothing to any thread being unable to see the beam in his own eye. He is nasty sneering and condescending and its clear his main aim is to rile folk and he specifically targeted me and succeeded in getting me banned ( my fault for taking the bait). so he is blocked to avoid me seeing his posts. I will quite happily debate with those of different views so long as they remain reasonable. I will continue to block this one very unpleasant person. He is the only person on this forum I would not meet in real life for a pint and a ride.

teethgrinder

Jamie – Member
    True, but a stopped clock is correct twice a day

Unless it’s digital.

Jamie
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Singletrackworld Personal Blacklist Script’ is closed to new replies.