Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 280 total)
  • Singletrack Mag – Lightweight Issue AGAIN (Rant content)
  • al_f
    Free Member

@epicsteve: agreed. ST is still the best UK mag (for me anyway) with the best balance of stuff, but when I think back to the standard of the articles in early issues (e.g. the one about the guy who lost his driving licence and had to ride everywhere) I think it was generally higher then. There don't seem to be as many longer articles (like the aforementioned one) now, which I used to like. Maybe that's just an impression and the word counts wouldn't back it up, I don't know.

Anyway, here's an idea: "Readers' lives" (see what I did there?) looking at how a range of people in different parts of the country fit biking in around all their other commitments. Obviously they'd have to pick interesting people, i.e. not me. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

People overstate their opinions on the Internet; learn to ignore or take the p1zz out of it.

Mark [resident grumpy]: rant/invective was a "silly" moment. The apology was good, but it's not the first time is it? Get a grip that man!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Great thread, best so far this year.

dab

ctk makes some good suggestions

ie new vs old, just how much progress has your hard end cash bought or is it just a case of BNG !!

i like the mag, also appreciate the frequency change, i think that's why they "seem lighter " as the pressure is there to deliver more often.

focus on the average kit rather than spangly stuff would be good in the credit crunch times, or perhaps a kind of SLX vs XTR type is it worth it / whaddya get for the extra type test.

perhaps pre alps prep for those heading to PDS etc
    pre race kit / advice from seasoned riders

dig out some old MBUK from early days, sureley some inspiation there?

its a hard job to please, but overall STW is still light years ahead of the rest.

IGMC

hora
    Free Member

Don't take this the wrong way Mark, after all it is your trainset. I wouldnt post on a forum/public as myself if it was my mag. I'd have an 'employee' login to answer questions and keep alittle distance.

I just think the negs far outweigh the positives of being able to speak to the Mag people directly.

grumm
    Free Member

CBA reading the whole thread, but slagging off customers or potential customers is a really bad move – extremely unprofessional.

FWIW I haven't bought the mag in a while – wasn't that impressed with the last couple of issues I did buy. I actually prefer MBUK, if you can get past all the dudespeak. Sorry.

gab344
    Free Member

My kneejerk reaction after reading the whole of this thread was to bin my subscription, the OP brought up issues which I believe were legitimate.

However 1, Mark has apologized and 2, The fact this thread is still open, demonstrates to me that STW is big enough to allow debate. Bravo! you've still got my subscription.

The question now :- is it appropriate to add "official Forum C&%k" to my sig?

hora
    Free Member

I'm super-stoked and we shredded the trails on our last ride.

brakes
    Free Member

I might buy Singletrack to see what the fuss is about, shame my local stockist went bust (Borders). Wonder how much their closure has impacted sales of smaller magazines.

hora
    Free Member

I used to love buying an espresso and wandering around Borders. I browsed casually, treated it as relaxing and ALWAYS came out with a bag full of mags or a book. Actually left the house specifically to visit just a Borders in fact.

I don't see WHSmiths etc as anywhere near the same…you go in and out as fast as you can 🙁

allyharp

Second Hand Challenge-
    2nd hand buying is not mentioned much in Singletrack. A guide would be daft but what about for a bit of fun some 'Top Gear' type challenges ie £300 to spend on a Hardtail, or £500 to spend on a FS which will then be ridden down Fort William or in the Alps or whatever.

I really like that idea.

Many of my favourite articles/reviews have been centred around the budget end of the market or based around old equipment.
    It's nice to get something we can relate to without needing a payrise!

crazy-legs

CBA reading the whole thread, but slagging off customers or potential customers is a really bad move – extremely unprofessional.

It is but I can see why it happened…

The OP was not constructive criticism, it was basically saying that this issue was s**t. No mention of what he would like to see vs what was actually there, no offer to review or write something for the mag, just a shouty rant.

Friday night, 10pm (ish) after a hard week of work, perhaps with a glass or two of wine inside hm (I don't know), Mark reads this, what do you think he's going to say?! OK, maybe a bit of a kneejerk reaction but if someone publicly criticised your work on a forum on a Friday night you'd react the same, especially if it's YOUR company that you built from scratch, that you've put years of your life and a lot of your money into.

Mark has apologised but I don't see the OP saying anything along the lines of "you know what, my criticism was a bit harsh, I'd like to see more of A/B/C and less of X/Y/Z"

Jamie
    Free Member

KINGTUT:
    Great thread, best so far this year.

Maybe turn it into a mag feature?

hora
    Free Member

In that case he needs to use a mod login under a different name or use the superstarcomponents method 😉

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Friday night, 10pm (ish) after a hard week of work, perhaps with a glass or two of wine inside hm (I don't know), Mark reads this, what do you think he's going to say?!

I'd expect him to say nothing. I would expect him to be at the pub or at home chilling out, not reading about work specially if it's been a hard week. 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

I still like the mag – still as good as the first issue I read years ago. Stop moaning and write your own, or buy whatever you think is better.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Singletrack is clearly the best mtb specific mag and web forum (IMO) but not beyond criticism. Nice to see a quick apology for a knee jerk overreaction though.
    Although I'm thinking a forfeit should be in order!

BigJohn

I do get cross at these types of threads knowing just how hard every single member of our staff has worked on this issue in particular.

The only person who cares if you worked hard is your mum.

It's the result that matters. I stopped subscribing a few months ago. People riding round gravel pits grumbling that their handlebars were 3mm too narrow.

project
    Free Member

Mark , congratulations on expressing your feelings,what we need is a lot more of this, the customer isnt always right, and the customer has the choice to buy or not buy the magazine, i buy it to support this forum, and for the banter, sometimes im banned or warned but i still come back as do a lot more.

You apologised, and some dont accept your apology, tough on them,its not as if youver stole their bike or chucked it under a road roller,you expressed your opinion an opinion some of us hold about each other, but we still find good things to read,and banter to enjoy with each other.

shermer75
    Free Member

I love this magazine. I think it is excellent. If you want lots of reviews, then you should think about subscribing to What Mountain Bike- that's what they do, and they're pretty good at it. I've always thought that Singletrack was about something else, things like great articles from places around world that I'll probably never get a chance go to and pushing your riding beyond just a couple of hours at you're local trails to far more adventurous goals- like bivvying in the Canadian Rockies or the Welsh mountains in the depths of winter (to reference the the last, apparently 'thin' issue). As well as well, dare I say it, thought provoking columns! Thought provoking! In an MTB magazine! Maybe that's just a bit too much for some 😉

allyharp

The only person who cares if you worked hard is your mum.

😆

stumpyjon

Alright, I got bored at the bottom of page 2, I like the mag, already dipped into this months issue and there are couple of things arleady I want to sit down and properly read. It does feel a bit lightweight but not from a content perspective. I subscribe to MBR, WMB & ST. WMB is likely to get canned when I can be bothered, MBR would be next (If I had to, quite like it) and ST would be the one I held onto, I like the lifestyle articles, the photos and the whole feel of the mag. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I can't say it's massively gone down hill in the last 12 months.

Oh well the internet's for people who don't actually participate in the real world to have a go at those that do I suppose. 🙄

ratadog

Recent issues aren't as interesting as those from a few years back though.

Reminds me of the old Punch tagline

"Not as interesting as it used to be", since 1841.

DezB
    Free Member

Also nice to see its pushing the gender thing with the clothing article and putting Aliegh (Phwoarrr!!)on the main page of the Quants article

😆

grumm
    Free Member

OK, maybe a bit of a kneejerk reaction but if someone publicly criticised your work on a forum on a Friday night you'd react the same, especially if it's YOUR company that you built from scratch, that you've put years of your life and a lot of your money into.

I dunno, I really don't reckon I would. As mentioned, if it was an employee doing that, in most companies they would probably be sacked.

rOcKeTdOg

People riding round gravel pits grumbling that their handlebars were 3mm too narrow.

harsh, but fair

bullheart
    Free Member

Maybe turn it into a mag feature?

Jamie, you are fast becoming my favourite STWer.

However, I have just realised how gay that sounds, and have decided to retract said comment.

😯

kelvin

For various reasons, I bought ALL the mtb mags this month, and Singletrack has more worth reading in it than any of the others this month. Feels less like flicking through the Argos catalogue than the others. The fact that it's "thinner" rather than losing the content amongst pages and pages of ads is a positive for me. Oh, the others still had things I wanted to read in them, but Singletrack has far far more, and did last month as well.

spock
    Free Member

i havent read the whole thread or magazine but it looks pretty good ,its quality not quantity remember, why have loads of average articles like in mbuk etc instead of a few really good ones in singletrack.

Stop whinging

RichPenny
    Free Member

LOL! To see people with passion inspires me, so the ranting makes it more likely that I'll subscribe.

brakes
    Free Member

the pissy-pants editors put their sperm-covered hands over their ears

maybe turn it into a mag feature?

knott4me
    Free Member

Love the mag on the whole but Apology or not he has made one hell of a professional error. In Any profesion that would incur serious punishment. I would except an apology in the next issue about 16 page's should shut the wingers up.

hora
    Free Member

Ive not read any of the 5 pages- what was said?

BigJohn

"You're rubbish"
    "No we're not – you're rubbish, oops, sorry, but we tried really hard, you try doing it better"

yunki
    Free Member

bring back hanging I say… Mark is obviously a deviant and dangerous lunatic to boot.. evil

unprofessionalism is always ALWAYS a sign of much deeper and darker things..
    I'm sick of the whole sinister and sordid affair..
    horiffic

naokfreek
    Free Member

Blah blah blah….i say fair play to Mark.

HansRey

if you're after a light weight read, try the latest MBUK. I seen NEXT catalogues with more non-ad content

emac65
    Free Member

Well people can blow air kisses up Mark's arse all day long,but I still think the mag's poor this month & shall be cancelling my subscription in the very near future.Nothing to do with his rant on what he thought was his FB page(LOL,very sad),more to do with Mark giving me the number to phone so I didn't have to search for it…

EddieFiola
    Free Member

I got it the same day as a free chain reaction marathon booklet arrived. TBH i ive had more reading out of the free panflet than i have from the mag.
    Rubbish, sorry it just is.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Couldn't post on here before for some reason so my thoughts here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/re-the-lightweight-issue-rant-thread-

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack Mag – Lightweight Issue AGAIN (Rant content)’ is closed to new replies.