Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Singlespeeder wants to try gears. Stupid questions incoming.
  • bigblackshed

For reasons that are long and complicated I’m contemplating putting some gears on my Stooge.

I’ve been single speeding for 13 years ish and time has moved on and so has the tech. I have a 9 speed equipped hybrid that hasn’t been ridden for quite some time, but I do know that 9 speed with no clutch mech isn’t going to cut it.

Scouring the online sellers has shown that there is bugger all in stock of pretty much everything. I’ve got Hope Pro 4 hubbed wheels with a Shimano HG freehub, I’d prefer to fit Shimano rather than SRAM, and want about a 42 tooth cassette. 10 or 11 speed is going to be fine.

Couple of questions please.

What groupset series are going to work for a 1x system, 42ish big cog, out of the box without adding extra mech links to bodge around mechs not working with big cogs?

I see that Shimano introduced direct mount mechs around 2012, but they came with a B-Link or B2-Link to allow them to work. I’ve seen a Deore 12 speed groupset for an OK price, but would need the mech to fit a standard, non-direct fit mech hanger. Also I’d need to change the freehub to microspline.

Help, I’m confused.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

but I do know that 9 speed with no clutch mech isn’t going to cut it.

Why?, It did cur the mustard for years before 10, 11 and 12 spd came along.

After all, you’re used to 1 speed!

jamesoz

I suspect a singlespeeder will want a clutch mech for the lack of rattle and chain retention.

An 11 speed GS mech is where the larger cassettes are possible. Note an 11 speed mech will work nicely with a 10 speed shifter.

ajantom

I’m a keen SSer too, but last year decided to fit gears to one of my MTBs.

If you can find the stock then the Microshift 9/10/11 speed setups all give you wide range, clutch mech drivetrain for not much money.

Also fits a standard Shimano freehub, and is cross-compatible with Shimano gear.

Been riding their 11spd XCD setup for 18mths now and it’s been faultless.

andrewh
    Free Member

Are you sure you need a 42?
    I ride singlespeeds. I also have a geared MTB (10sp), the biggest on that is 34 and it feels massive!

ajantom

Are you sure you need a 42?
    I ride singlespeeds. I also have a geared MTB (10sp), the biggest on that is 34 and it feels massive!

This is true, but coming from an SS and then riding my geared bike with 32×46 lowest gearing, it is hilarious what you can ride up!

tjagain

Think about an hub gear? You get the advantages of no chain slap and a fixed centre chainline – works very well on SS frames that do not use tensioners. alfine 8 works well IME

You can often get an alfine hub gear wheel cheaply

bigblackshed

I’ve thought about the Box Components and microShift. I was steered away from Box, my LBS has fitted plenty and replaced almost all of it due to failures. microShift looks promising, but stock is nonexistent.

I have 2×9 on my hybrid, gravel before gravel bike. There is still bits I’m walking with 36×32. The constant noise from the chain slapping about rules out anything without a clutch.

I didn’t know some 11 speed mechs worked with 10 speed shifters and cassettes. So that’s another avenue to explore.

bigblackshed

@tjagain

I used to eat Alfine hubs when commuting. Plus I’d have to get it built into a 27.5” 35mm ID rim to cope with plus tyres.

tjagain

Jeepers – how big are you? My alfine was fine for years of commuting! Are you rich enough for a rohloff?

It was just a thought

bigblackshed

6’4”, 115kg, Thighs Like Hoy. *

* 2 of these are true.

Rohloff is too expensive as an experiment.

ajantom

microShift looks promising, but stock is nonexistent.

Decathlon sell Microshift, and also rebrand it under their own name.
    They might have some bits.

nickc

Can Stooge not supply/sell you a direct mount mech hanger? That would ease your search considerably if they could?

didnthurt

I’ve done the same thing with my Stooge in the past and still flit back and forth to singlespeed.

IMO a clutch mech, narrow/thin chainring and 1x gears are essential. The actual number of gears and size of cassette is all down to cost and personal preference. As anymore gears than what you currently have will be a big change/benefit in itself.

As you’ll be a super fit singlespeed rider you’ll find riding with gears considerably easier going. The big changes you’ll notice is the cost of replacing chains and cassettes, especially the 12 speed ones 😣

didnthurt

I misplaced my Stooge mech hanger and had to buy a new one (from memory) Andy directed me to an online seller. I’ve since found my original hanger in a bag marked ‘Stooge mech hanger’ 🤦‍♂️

Better to have a spare though.

didnthurt

A plus tyred Stooge with gears feels almost like cheating when climbing off-road. It is rather enjoyable (albeit fairly slow) to try to find the steepest, muddiest and most rooty climbs to see what you can actually clean.

didnthurt

If I was buying a new off-road groupset/gear set I’d go for 1 x 12 speed Deore.

It should fit a standard threaded bottom bracket, old-school mech hanger and Shimano 10/11 speed free hub.

ajantom

I experimented with gears on my Stooge briefly.

Used an SLX 10spd rear mech (with clutch), an 8spd cassette, and a 9spd thumbshifter on friction.

Worked surprisingly well!

submarined
    Free Member

Unless there’s an option I’m not aware of, I think 12 speed Deore needs a Microspline cassette driver doesn’t it? So if you don’t want to change driver you’ll need a SRAM NX (or SX? Is there an SX cassette?) 12sp Cassette in order to be compatible with your Shimano driver. And then you don’t get the really nice shift-under-power wizardry of 12sp Shimano.
    Tbh I’d just go 11sp Shimano, cheaper, and still dead nice with good range.

jamesoz

I didn’t know some 11 speed mechs worked with 10 speed shifters and cassettes. So that’s another avenue to explore

My favourite setup is a saint 10speed shifter, XT 11 speed GS mech, with a sunrace 11-42 cassette.

molgrips
    Free Member

What groupset series are going to work for a 1x system, 42ish big cog, out of the box without adding extra mech links to bodge around mechs not working with big cogs?

Surely all 11sp mechs are designed to work with big cogs? Shimano 11sp cassettes come in 42 or 46t. No bodges needed. Unless you are talking about going big on 9sp? The extra linkage for direct mount isn’t a bodge, it’s just the direct mount adapter and it comes in the box.

And yes 12sp Shimano needs microspline. Many hubs can be converted if you have an existing one.

didnthurt

My bad on the Shimano 12 speed hub compatibility. Maybe just stick to 10 or 11 speed then.

ayjaydoubleyou

Are you getting a new wheel? or is your exisitng one the “standard” or old stye shimano freehub?
    Changing to the new freehub will be 50-100 pounds so worth including in the budget.

If there is stock of the 10 speed sunrace 11-40 cassettes, they will work with simano 10spd with no modifications. the 42 cog versions will need a longer B screw or fettling.

fwiw, as a former single speeder I find a 11-36 10 speed to be adequate for my use. chainring size varies depending on wheel size and application, but that range of gear seems to cover the range of “climbing at walking pace” to “as fast as I can practically pedal a knobbly tyred bike” given my exerience at low speed grunting and high cadence spinning.

joebristol

I’ve always found Sram has the best 11 speed shifting – picking up a Sram GX 11 speed shifter and mech and then pairing it with some kind of Sunrace 11-42 cassette would be a decent option if you can find stock.

If you want to go 12 speed on a standard hg freehub then you need Sunrace or Sram NX.

I’d avoid Sram SX or NX in terms of mechs as they have too much plastic in them. Gx is where it gets decent in my experience.

Not all Shimano stuff is direct mount I don’t think – you should be able to pick up normal 10 or 11 speed mechs – if Covid hasn’t nailed the stock.

I’d avoid Box – a mate had it on his Vitus and it wasn’t very good – he replaced it with either Shimano or Sram within a month of getting the bike.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeder wants to try gears. Stupid questions incoming.’ is closed to new replies.