Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed "gravel" bikes under £700…?
  • Kryton57

Pinnacle Arkrose
    Genesis Day 1

What else?

tthew
    firestarter
    Free Member

Saracen hack
    Specialized awol

firestarter
    Free Member

Doh… Apologies totally missed the singlespeed bit 🙁

GHill

I’ve had a go on a mate’s Day 1 and thought it was alright.

But, I also thought that singlespeed totally killed the point of a gravel bike – they’re usually pretty fast both off-road and on, but singlespeed was just too much compromise (reasonable road gear was awful off-road, I imagine vice versa applies).

I suppose it depends on what you had in mind for it, and how flat the terrain is. Probably fine as a b-road hacker.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Those Vanilla’s are a thing of beauty. Not sure it’s in budget though.

benji
    Free Member

Genesis Day one isn’t a bad shout, as for singlespeed it’s great, just adds to the adventure in my mind, I ride my Niner RLT singlespeed and really enjoy it. Sometimes the walk can be good to just slow down and admire the scenery.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Watch that link, one of the links has a virus on it…

tthew – Member
    This might help. http://www.singlespeedcyclocross.com/single-speed-cyclocross-bikes/

13thfloormonk

It was actually some fire road bashing on my Day 1 that taught me the value of ‘gravel’ riding (before it was cool, obviously 8) ).

I guess because fireroads are designed for massive trucks with tonnes of wet lumber on them, the gradients never get steeper than ‘interesting’ on a 42:18 which is what I ended up running. Which happily was also just low enough for some of the horrible little Argyll farm roads I was riding at the time.

STATO
    Free Member

Crosscheck. Easily fits 40c tyres in, comfy, awesome.

Here is mine in previous gravel-tourer mode. Otherwise known as CX mode but with fat semi-slicks and bags and stuff. Dinglespeed rear sprocket so had 2 ratios, 42-16 and 38-18. Its now red which is even fasterer.

Crosscheck by Richard Elsdon, on Flickr

Kryton57

Genesis Day one isn’t a bad shout, as for singlespeed it’s great

This is my favorite so far, particularly the Decade. FWIW it’d be used for general bimbling, & non MTB rides with my son, hence the SS as I already have road bikes & MTB’s.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed "gravel" bikes under £700…?’ is closed to new replies.