Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Singlespeed Fatbikes – will I die if I build one?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Anyone tried it?

Photos appreciated

I feel like I’ve got a niche upon niche itch to scratch!

Matt_SS_xc

I spent many years singlespeed and had a fat bike while they were en trend.
    I never felt like the way i rode the fat bike or terrain they excelled in would have made singlespeed a good idea…..
    But then SS doesn’t make sense 95‰ of the time yet it is great so why not

whitestone
    Free Member

Had mine as SS most of the winter. Not as hard work as you might think. I had a ratio of 1.44.

puffin

As with any SS there’ll be gradients or situations you just won’t be strong enough but it’s good fun to see just how far you can get.

fat bike

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

My fat bike is single speed and I love it.

Fat bikes have always been a fun thing for me and when they’re single speed they are even funnerer….

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not singlespeed, but for the last ~12 months until the driveside crank sheared through the pedal axle, I ran my Wazoo without a rear mech cable stuck in the 17T sprocket using the rear mech limit screws, with the option of 24T or 38T chainrings.

Worked fine for my moderately hilly standard short commute routes, down a ~6% hill and up two ramps that hit ~9% and ~13%.

40mpg

I did for SSUK 2018 (as we’d arranged the ‘racy’ bit to happen on the beach!). I think gears work better for Isle of Wight hills, but in my usual stomping ground of the New Forest, works fine.

montylikesbeer

If you have a beard and roast your own coffee beans you might get away with it

MrTricky
    Free Member

One geared, one single speed. The singlespeed is the one that gets used & was bike of choice on rides across Scotland last summer. I’m a plodder so 32 x 20 works fine .
    Beard yes, but no coffee bean grinding for me though.

boltonjon

Set my Singular Puffin up SS a few years back

It was phenomenal. My fitness was very good back then, but it was awesome. Like a BMX for grown ups

Maybe i need to rebuild it for the last past of winter 🙂

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

My ss fat bike will be going up for sale shortly, I’ve just lacquered the frame tonight so another coat tomorrow then I can start building.

It’s a genesis caribou fat rat, hope fatsno/ BR710 wheels tubeless with surly mate tyres.
    Raceface cranks, thomson seat post, brooks saddle, xt brakes….

lapdog
    Free Member

Here’s mine!

velocipede
    Free Member

@lapdog – your image isn’t showing – can you try again? What have you got?

abingham

For me the joy of owning and riding a fat bike (Surly Pugsley) was the fact it could climb pretty much anything. While I’m sure it’d still be a complete hoot to ride in SS form, you’d lose some of that ‘go anywhere, climb anything‘ ability which really appealed to me about them, even as a diehard SS/FG rider.

letmetalktomark

will I die if I build one?

Almost certainly ….. in a ball of glorious flames.

Yes this is in 29+ guise but its “technically” a SS fat bike. Far more fun than the recipe suggest should be possible.

I’ve never SS’d my Puffin but do frequently ride it in just one gear ……

TimP
    Free Member

50% of my Strava KOMs are on a SS fatbike.

And that one was on a borrowed Pugsley from Charlie at SSUK 2013.

I survived, but I didn’t build it so no promises you’ll make it to Easter, sorry.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, mine was SS for most of its life.

It’s harder work as you’re compounding the singlespeeds lack of acceleration/climbing and lack of top speed due to gearing, with the thefar bikes lack of the same due to weight and aerodynamics.

As usual, not better, just different. If you’re fit enough you’ll still keep up with group rides.

velocipede
    Free Member

Well I’ve taken the plunge – it’s going to be a “posh” one too – Shand Tumshie with a few nice parts – I foresee some parts issues but let’s see how it shapes up!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh very posh! Mine was just a (by the time I was finished with it) battered On-One!

velocipede
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon – I know, maybe a bit too posh – but what the hell!

Pics will follow in the next few weeks once all the parts are here and I’ve had a chance to build – with luck all the bits will be here when I’ve got a few days off wk after next!

velocipede
    Free Member

@letmetalktomark – that Ritchey looks great!

velocipede
    Free Member

@40mpg – what’s the gear ratio you have on that?

40mpg

@velocipede I think it was 28/18 or 28/20. For a lot of hills and pubs! I’d normally go for about 28/16 or 17 though.

velocipede
    Free Member

@40mpg – thanks for that – I’m kicking off with 28-20 for the same reason – pubs and hills – it’s not intended to be a racing machine!

nedrapier

Think I went for 32/19 when I built up my Puffin. Pretty hilly found here, and I cleaned some techy climbs I’d not made on geared normal bikes. The grrrip lets you get a lot more power to the ground with a lot less finesse!

Went up to 38/18 for Battle on the Beach. Had a terrible time, mostly unconnected with the gear!

lapdog
    Free Member

https://live" alt="Moonmen M21" />

lapdog
    Free Member

I give up trying to post photos on here from an iPad. Probably my sheer IT incompetence. Anyway it is Moonmen M21 converted to a singlespeed. If interested you can find it on the moonmen website….great fun bike.

velocipede
    Free Member

OK, so it’s done – I’ve built it!

Shand Tumshie frame/fork
    Cane Creek headset
    Hope Fatnso hubs on Fatlabs rims w Surly Nate tyres
    Hope stem
    On one bars
    Brand X seatpost
    Raceface Aeffect cranks
    Rideworks EBB
    28 ring, 20t cog
    Brooks C17 saddle

All parts oare either from the parts bin or secondhand, apart from the very nice and v expensive Rideworks EBB which was an absolute breeze to fit and set up.

It’s only had a shakedown ride round the block so far but hopefully will get a proper ride tomorrow – only thing I’m not happy about is the cable routing for the dropper – I already had the external dropper and the frame has a port for an internal one – had to use stick on guides for now – will look to “upgrade” at some point

Looks nice next to it’s younger, slightly slimmer 650b brother!

40mpg

Like 👍

Well, apart from the Nates, but each to their own eh 😉

monkeyboyjc

Looks great (I recognize those wheels🤔😁)

spooky_b329

Well I’ve taken the plunge – it’s going to be a “posh” one too – Shand Tumshie with a few nice parts

At this point I make a mental note to check back about three months when some mitreing, brazing and painting has happened…

Oh, one week later and it’s here!!! Very nice 🙂

Lummox

What does one of those Shand frame and fork combos go out the door for?

didnthurt

My Stooge is only half fat (27.5 wheels and 3″ tyres) but like above, it’s like a big BMX. Loads fun, even in the recent snow.

leffeboy

It’s also looks like it’s got the Paragon machine works polydrop dropouts so if you don’t like it SS it’s easy to change to geared.

velocipede
    Free Member

@spooky_b329 – ah yes, frame and forks were a s/h bargain – came up bang on my size and is set up exactly the same as my Bahookie (which I bought new so whole different ball game price-wise!)

@leffeboy
    – yep it’s actually set up for Rohloff with all the right guides etc – but you’re right, a replacement r/h dropout would give me the ability to easily stick a rear mech on there 👍

@lummox
    – about £2k – but lucky to pick this up s/h

spooky_b329

That’s how I got my Bahookie, second hand,2 years old but had literally just had a few test rides trialling different handlebars it appears!

The seller was very particular and repacked it into my van as he was worried about scratches…it now gets plastered in mud at every opportunity, the paint is really durable although can’t stand up to a bit of heelrub! I think seller would be beside himself 🤗

I got it rideable 2 months before the first lockdown and it is was probably my best timed purchase ever!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed Fatbikes – will I die if I build one?’ is closed to new replies.