Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Singlespeed cogs?
  • Teifiterror
    Free Member

Going to singlespeed by hardtail and was wondering what spacer and cog kit to get for the rear. I have a hope pro 2 evo rear hub and so a bit worried about the cog digging into the freehub. Looking for suggestions of good singlespeed cogs that dont dig in, and any spacers/tensioner advice also.

mboy
    Free Member

You’ll need a cog with a wide base, otherwise it will chew the freehub up for definite.

Quite a few companies do them now, notably On One and Superstar, but there are others too.

honeybadgerx

Doing the same thing myself, got a Gusset ring which has a solid base to it.

dawson

I went for this http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bikemongers-complete-kit-1-p.asp when I converted my old bike to SS

ssjeff
    Free Member

You won’t need cogs, sprockets is what you’re after

Cogs run with cogs
    Sprockets run with chains.

And its Charlie the bike monger you’ll need to speak to. Ask him about the 29er fatbike SS trike he’s developing with Surly.

gee
    Free Member

Surly ones are ace and last ages.

richcc
    Free Member

Surly sprocket and a nice set of spacers from Charlie the bikemonger or Velosolo. I had a Gusset kit on my roadrat and the sprocket isn’t great and has a pretty narrow base. If you don’t want to spring for the Surly then On One Groove Armada are also worth a look and have a pretty wide base

Prophet2
    Free Member

Another vote for Charlie. Drop him an email and he’ll give you spot on advice.

garage-dweller

Another vote for charlie the bike monger. Most helpful.

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Thanks a lot, will have a word 🙂

velomanic
    Free Member

I went for a Gusset ‘Double Six’ SS kit, nice double width sprocket base to stop it digging into the hub 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ssjeff, cogs are the teeth on a gear, but it is nice to see an increase in engineering pedants 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Surly and VeloSolo get my vote

singlespeed by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed cogs?’ is closed to new replies.